Search

Bintan, Indonesia (Banyan Tree)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, UA Premier Exec, CX Gold, Diamond GP, Hilton Gold, RC Gold
Bintan, Indonesia (Banyan Tree)

Hi FTers,

I'm planning a trip with 7 friends from Hong Kong and we're looking at Bintan. None of us have ever been there, so it's a huge risk, but we figure Banyan should be pretty decent.

Other destinations are Bali and the Sanya Islands in China. It'll be a small weekend getaway for us, so we're looking to just relax. Any suggestions or thoughts on Bintan or other destinations.

What else is there to do in Bintan?

Thanks FTers!

Best,
ktp
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:46 am

There is no-thing to do on Bintan Resorts, the posh bit you are presumably going to do. There are some more things to do on the rest of the island, although many are dangerous to your health in more ways than one.

But if you really want to just relax, then yes, Bintan should be just fine. Banyan Tree is quite expensive though and more a place for couples getting it on than a rowdy bunch of friends...

More info: http://wikitravel.org/en/Bintan
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:58 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 16, 2005 at 12:32 am Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:33 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Silver
The Banyan Tree Bintan is mainly for couples, and have only 1 bed in their rooms.

For seven people (mainly friends) , try the following:

- 2 x Two bedroom suites at the Angsana Resort Bintan (Banyan Tree Sister resort)
- 1 x Banyu Biru Villa at Nirwana Gardens.

There's not much to do at night at Bintan Resorts.
Have fun and bring lotsa sunblock.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:33 pm

Programs: All of them
Question

Originally Posted by Jubilee777
The Banyan Tree Bintan is mainly for couples, and have only 1 bed in their rooms.

For seven people (mainly friends) , try the following:

- 2 x Two bedroom suites at the Angsana Resort Bintan (Banyan Tree Sister resort)
- 1 x Banyu Biru Villa at Nirwana Gardens.

There's not much to do at night at Bintan Resorts.
Have fun and bring lotsa sunblock.
What are the beaches like in Bintan?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
A few years back my wife and I did 5 nights at the Banyan Tree Bintan.
The resort is very nice and the bungalow we had was great. 1 bed.

The resort is built on the side of a hill and walking around from place to place is a bit difficult, however a free "taxi" service on golf carts around the property is provided. Just ring the desk and tell them where you want to go (restaurant, pool, etc) and they come and shuttle you to your destination.

The grounds were exqusite. About as manicured as the jungle can be. All the walkways and roads (cart paths) are spotless. The staff is sweeping up leaves etc from sunrise to sunset.

There are 2 pools IIRC, one of which is just off the beach. While they say it is not "white" sand the beach was very nice and quite long. There is no drop off and it is possible to wade 50 to 100 meters off shore. There are a few different resorts that share the same long strip of beach. I certainly would not consider the beach crowded though.

I just thought we were there a bit too long and we got tired of the same old restaurants. However, for the weekend it would be nice. Also, we booked spa treatments for each day in advance and found that after the first few days, we were a bit too ambitious with our Spa schedule.

The ferry ride from Singapore was about 45 minutes IIRC and I think we then took a cab. Ferry tickets can also be purchased online in advance.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by schoflyer
A few years back my wife and I did 5 nights at the Banyan Tree Bintan.
The resort is very nice and the bungalow we had was great. 1 bed.

The resort is built on the side of a hill and walking around from place to place is a bit difficult, however a free "taxi" service on golf carts around the property is provided. Just ring the desk and tell them where you want to go (restaurant, pool, etc) and they come and shuttle you to your destination.

The grounds were exqusite. About as manicured as the jungle can be. All the walkways and roads (cart paths) are spotless. The staff is sweeping up leaves etc from sunrise to sunset.

There are 2 pools IIRC, one of which is just off the beach. While they say it is not "white" sand the beach was very nice and quite long. There is no drop off and it is possible to wade 50 to 100 meters off shore. There are a few different resorts that share the same long strip of beach. I certainly would not consider the beach crowded though.

I just thought we were there a bit too long and we got tired of the same old restaurants. However, for the weekend it would be nice. Also, we booked spa treatments for each day in advance and found that after the first few days, we were a bit too ambitious with our Spa schedule.

The ferry ride from Singapore was about 45 minutes IIRC and I think we then took a cab. Ferry tickets can also be purchased online in advance.

Thanks. I'm going to be in SIN the beginning of next month and looking at spending a few days on Bintan enjoying the golf and beaches.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:52 pm

Question Golf Clubs

Are there rental clubs available at the golf courses? Are the clubs decent?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by tmas
What are the beaches like in Bintan?
The beaches are OK. The problem is the water, which is kinda murky (too close to Singapore and Batam's factories), and most of the coral is dead because the locals like fishing with dynamite.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
I was at the beach at Banyan Tree Bintan when I saw the beach attendant wildly waving his arms in the air motioning me to run away. Shortly afterwards, a swarm of bees descended on the beach. He fired up a gas powered fumigaor and, about 5 minutes later, the bees were gone although the smell of insecticide and petroleum lingered for a while. Avoid the rainy season.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
The beaches are OK. The problem is the water, which is kinda murky (too close to Singapore and Batam's factories), and most of the coral is dead because the locals like fishing with dynamite.
Is one side of the island better than another?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by tmas
Is one side of the island better than another?
Well, the north side is a colony of Singapore and has all the fancy resorts and whatnot. The rest is a part of Real Indonesia(tm) and you'll be lucky to find more than a bamboo hut on stilts. As far as I can gather the water quality is roughly the same everywhere.

Note that the water is generally not absolutely horrible, and divers can expect 5-10m visibility. It's just that there are so many better beaches and dive sites in Southeast Asia...

--> http://jpatokal.iki.fi/photo/sub/Bintan/
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Doe sanyone have any comments on the presence (or lack of) sandflies on Bintan?

(I'm thinking April/May incase it's a seasonal issue)

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Doe sanyone have any comments on the presence (or lack of) sandflies on Bintan?

(I'm thinking April/May incase it's a seasonal issue)

Thanks
Definately present!! -at least in August last year. I don't know about April /May. Sandfly bites are the worst ever -stay around and fester for weeks and so itchy. If you are travelling with your child make sure that you use some repellant.The hotel had little sachets in the room but werealised too late why! We stayed at the Angsanga pleasant, nice beach annd eat at the Banyan Tree next door -good deals on packages if you book it in SIN. i can get you details of the travel agent we used if you need it but you can just book it when you are there if it is midweek and not holiday time.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Definately present!! -at least in August last year. I don't know about April /May. Sandfly bites are the worst ever -stay around and fester for weeks and so itchy. If you are travelling with your child make sure that you use some repellant.The hotel had little sachets in the room but werealised too late why! We stayed at the Angsanga pleasant, nice beach annd eat at the Banyan Tree next door -good deals on packages if you book it in SIN. i can get you details of the travel agent we used if you need it but you can just book it when you are there if it is midweek and not holiday time.
Many thanks - have suffered the little blighters myself before so it is indeed my son i'm more worried about!

Perhaps we won't bother....

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.