Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My worst in-flight experience ever

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
My worst in-flight experience ever

We arrived back yesterday (Sunday) from BGI and what should have been a nice relaxing flight in FIRST turned out to be our worst experience ever.

Things started of very well. We arrived in BGI from SLU and went to check-in. Despite it being only 30 minutes before departure of the first BGI-LGW flight there were still quite a few people to be checked in. I spoke to the queue monitor and asked how we could get to the new "drive in" FIRST check-in. She called someone on the radio and within a few minutes a car arrived and took us to the Jet Center. What a pleasure. Very polite, welcoming staff and we were checked-in and in the new lounge in minutes. We had more than two hours before our 18:40 departure so sat back relaxed.

About an hour before departure of the lounge staff came up and asked us if we would move seats as they had a family spread about the cabin. We had blagged 1E & F on MMB back in December and were very reluctant to let them go. We were offered the seats two pf the family were in - 3K & 4K - but we declined. We had specifically booked FIRST for our first wedding anniversary and wanted to be able to sit together and drink Champagne.

On boarding the family were in 1A, 2K, 3K and 4K. Mother was in 1A with a baby around 12-15 months old. It was very restless, crying constantly and throwing temper fits. We began to dread the next 8 hours. I then overheard a conversation that made my blood boil.

Another FIRST pax who seemed to know the family (we later found out they had been staying at the same hotel) was chatting with mother. They were discussing their seating problems and mother said something along the lines of “We were upgraded so we didn’t want to make too much of a fuss in case they downgraded us again”. Unbelievable. What strings had been pulled or whether it was pot luck, I have no idea, but I was shocked that a family of five had been upgraded to FIRST especially as it was introducing a baby in to what would have been a baby free environment. What was the person authorising the upgrade thinking of? Surely there must have been more deserving Gold or Silver members in Club?

Shortly after take-off baby was put in the bassinette but continued to cry and whine. As I was eating and watching a movie I was able to shut it out. When the movie had finished baby appeared to be asleep so we decided to settle down and try to get some sleep as well. It didn’t last long. It began crying and whining occassionally but then became more frequent and louder until it merged in to one constant howl. It was impossible to sleep even with earplugs. Not being a parent it is difficult for me to comment but the child’s parents seemed clueless about what to do to stop it.

The crying was clearly disturbing the whole cabin as most people were moving around, getting drinks or watching movies. Eventually, with only 2 hours to landing it fell asleep. We tried to get some sleep ourselves but it was a fruitless task. With about an hour to go we gave up and had breakfast. Just around that time mother decided to wake up baby. Baby then decided it’s time to start crying again! It was still crying and screaming as we left (ran) off the aircraft.

I know we were not the only people to be very annoyed with this. The pax in 2A and 3A were making their displeasure known as were the couple in 3E/F. At one point the pax in 3A was involved in a slightly heated discussion with the CSD. He was of the view that the parents were doing little to stop the child and the CSD should intervene. He then spoke to Sheena and I and when I told him about the upgrade conversation I had overheard he went straight to the CSD. The CSD said that according to the manifest they were not upgrades. This did not make sense. I clearly heard the conversation and it was as stated above.

There have been many debates on these boards about babies in Club and First and I have always been of the view that they should not be allowed. After this my views are set in concrete. The disruption caused by this child would have been unacceptable in any cabin, not just FIRST.

The annoying thing is the flight had the potential to up there with my best experiences. The FIRST check-in and lounge at BGI is excellent. The crew were very friendly and efficient. The food was very good. But that bloody baby

I am very interested in the views from both a pax and crew perspective.

What would you have done/said?

Is there any explanation for them not showing as upgraded on manifest?

BA’s cannot be held responsible for the baby crying but if the pax were upgraded then there is some onus of responsibility on BA. In that case do we have grounds for claiming back the additional 25,000 miles it cost in comparison to NCW?
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Gaza,

What a shame that your anniversary holiday had an uncomfortable ending. I do hope that Le Sport was a good as ever and that the rest of your time was relaxing.

It must be very difficult to get a baby settled on a noisey flight but the parents probably should have tried harder. I think that the CSD should have offered to help - make some warm milk or suggest a walk round to soothe the mite down.

I was flying back from MAN-EDI last week and this irritating little git in the seat behind me was sticking his foot through the gaps in the seats and over the top of the seats. In addition he spent more of less the whole flight snapping the seat belt buckle open and shut,

CLACK CLACK CLACK.

It drove me insane. In the end I asked his mother if she could stop him. She looked at me as if I was the one who was insane - as if to say "How dare you have a go at my child" - and did nothing.

In the end I asked the purser to say something and found that the man in the seat behind him had already complained about the little brat constantly reclining and resetting his seat like a rocking chair. The purser had a word and the mother finally made him stop. But she didn't half give me daggers on the way out.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
I really feel for you Gaza. When you choose to pay or burn miles in a preimum cabin you are doing so not just to get from a to b but to enjoy a luxury experience. The whole marketing campaign of BA F is of a sanctuary in the sky. That is not what you got.

Its bad enough the baby being in F but if the family really was upgraded, someone needs shooting.

I know you can say that it will be no fun for passengers down the back if the baby is crying there, and that is true. However, they have paid the minimum they can and their travel experience is all about getting to the destination. I am not being elitest as most of my longhaul travel is in Y but being in Y I accept the compromises of 'public transport'.

Travelling in premium cabins for many (i.e. those not on business or seriously rich) is often a once in lifetime experience for which they pay (for them) huge amounts of money. Often anniversaries or honeymoons. The inconsideration of parents who impose their screaming children on others is just plain selfish IMO.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
What a shame that your anniversary holiday had an uncomfortable ending. I do hope that Le Sport was a good as ever and that the rest of your time was relaxing.
Le Sport was superb. It seems to get better each time I am there. The Spa has a new range of treatments and all the therapists have been retrained. It is also much better run. They brought in a new manager last year ( a Scots girl who set-up One Spa at the Sheraton in Edinburgh) and she seems to have made a huge difference.

Neither of us wanted to come home on Saturday. If there was any way we could have extended our trip we would have. There was glimmer of hope mid-week when we were checking our emails. As we play Lotto by Direct Debit we receive notification of wins by email. We opened it with great trepidation only to find we had won the princely sum of Ł10!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:31 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by Gaza

Shortly after take-off baby was put in the bassinette but continued to cry and whine. As I was eating and watching a movie I was able to shut it out. When the movie had finished baby appeared to be asleep so we decided to settle down and try to get some sleep as well. It didn’t last long. It began crying and whining occassionally but then became more frequent and louder until it merged in to one constant howl. It was impossible to sleep even with earplugs. Not being a parent it is difficult for me to comment but the child’s parents seemed clueless about what to do to stop it.

The crying was clearly disturbing the whole cabin as most people were moving around, getting drinks or watching movies. Eventually, with only 2 hours to landing it fell asleep. We tried to get some sleep ourselves but it was a fruitless task. With about an hour to go we gave up and had breakfast. Just around that time mother decided to wake up baby. Baby then decided it’s time to start crying again! It was still crying and screaming as we left (ran) off the aircraft.

BA’s cannot be held responsible for the baby crying but if the pax were upgraded then there is some onus of responsibility on BA. In that case do we have grounds for claiming back the additional 25,000 miles it cost in comparison to NCW?
Mhh. As a perent flying with a little one I am sorry to hear that your vacation was spoiled.....

In any case .... the mother probably WAS cluesless what to do. I am sorry to say, that unfortunately the little ones do not have an on / off switch.

Secondly, I think the mother was STUPID, for waking up the baby. EVERY parent is glad if they fall asleep, and I promise you they had a week of fun with the baby being out of wack...

Thirdly, I think the family was very STUPID, that they didn't have advanced seat allocation. Rule number one, keep family together so you can help each other.

Fourth, Some airlines actually help in these situations..... they open the door and throw out the baby... no seriously... Emirates has Nanies and a play area.

Finally, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but hey... they are paying for your retirement (as you don't have kids yourself !)
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have had a few of these but thankfully they have been on short CE flights. The last was just before Xmas when there was a family in front of me at the gate. The gate agent said to the father "you seem to have been upgraded to Club" - that turned out to be him, his wife and two brats. Anyway the brats would not sit in their seats at all and proceeded to run up and down the plane shouting. I asked the mother to stop this but got the same "how dare you" attitude. You would think that they would be vaguely embarrassed by their children's behaviour but sadly they weren't.

The time before was a CE from Venice - LGW. Screaming child with parents in 1A and C. All the way. If that wasn't bad enough the father tried to calm the child by blowing on a whistle lollypop which was even worse. If I had managed to get hold of that lollypop......

I utterly sympathise. This sort of event really does stress you out especially when you can't see an end in sight.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Irrespective of class, I believe it a duty of parents to minimise the disruption caused by their offspring.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
It sounds like a rather horrible experience and I feel really sorry for you!!!

The thing is that there are children of all sorts - noisy brats, quiet darlings, and a great deal of variety in between! Having flown with my daughter in BA Club World and business class on other airlines (including when she was a baby the same age of the one on your flight), I would feel comfortable taking her again in J and probably also in F. I know as well, that my wife and I would do everything possible to ensure that our children (all two of them) would not disturb other passengers any more than an adult would.

How can an airline know how a child will behave if upgraded. I have experienced bad behaving and noisy adults on several flights including one who got violent when my seat was reclined (taken away by the police at the end of the flight) - that was in Y of course! But still!!

Anyway, clearly the mother and rest of family should have done much more. It's just not fair to other passengers. If it were me, I would have walked around calming him/her down and getting him/her to sleep. If it was somebody else's baby I may have suggested the same!

I still think, children and babies should be allowed in any cabin, particularly if they pay for the ticket.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I sympathise with your plight, but - and there always has to be someone who proposes a contrary view - I think that flying in any class involves the luck of the draw.

My worst ever experience in F was on an overnight flight back from the States some years ago, on which there were two loudmouthed American businessmen who drank and talked and drank and talked themsleves all the way to London. The talking (and their overhead reading lights on for the whole flight) distrubed the whole cabin for the whole night and I suspect that almost no-one got any sleep. I was not the only one who complained to the CSD, but all one got was a resigned shrug and a half hearted (and wholly unsuccessfull) attempt to quieten the two down.

They, like the mothers of the offenders described above, should have known better, but clearly either did not know or did not care. This seems to be a hazard of modern life. I certainly don't think that it is an issue which can be regarded as unique to people with small children in tow or to those forced to travel cattle class.

I agree entirely that there is no logic in upgrading a family with small children to a premium cabin, as there is an inevitable risk of disturbance. Whoever did that on an overnight flight needs their head examined. Its a shame your flight was ruined, but I suspect that the moral is never to have one's hopes up too high whatever class one is travelling.

I only recently suffered a similar disappointment. I had booked for 8 nights, what turned out to be the 2nd best suite in a very swish city centre hotel. After an hour it became clear that surrounding noise was going to be a problem and we gratefully traded our 23rd floor suite with fab views, to a pair of inter-conecting rooms (with no view to speak of) on the 8th floor. It saved our holiday. Perhaps you should have asked to move back to J and then claimed the miles back afterwards .....
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:37 am

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
I have to be very brutal on this. If someone pays a few grand for their ticket, an obscene amount of money, it is the airline's problem how to ensure that First cabin looks and feels like a First cabin. And it's not - repeat NOT - passenger's problem how it is done.

Once you spend THAT kind of money on a ticket, you should be able to say "it's not my problem how you do it, I want some quiet".

All the excuses - that babies do not have on-off switch, etc., are only partially true. If the child is uncontrollable, do not fly.

I am a parent of two lovely girls. My five-months-old can be a handful at times, although she is basically very good. If she starts crying in a restaurant (more of that was the case when she was colicky), we ask for bill at once and we leave because we do not think it is fair to annoy other patrons. For the same reason, we put our travel plans on hold for a few months - because you cannot leave an aircraft in a hurry.

Parents should realize that their children are not magic (not to other people anyway) and that having a child is a burden that includes giving up a lot. Being a parent is not a permission to be a nuisance to everyone.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
I recently flew LGW-BGI-LGW - out in J and back in WT+ - there were several babies and young kids in J and WT+ both ways - not sure about F. Generally noise was intermittent - worst thing was young kid constantly kicking my seat on way back in WT+ - like you I had to ask CSD to have a word with the parents, who didn't seem to think it was an issue.

Fortunately, my 4 previous sectors in F have all been baby/child free! I would have been very cheesed off also.

Last edited by irmster; Apr 11, 2005 at 6:30 am
Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:53 am
norodnik

Don't blame BA, blame the parents.

My kids have flown round the world and many other long haul destinations with me. Its bloody hard work keeping the 2 kids entertained and as they are only one year apart, it meant we both had work to do.

It makes me cringe when the parents do nothing about it. A screaming baby I can sympathise about, as long as someone is trying to keep it reasonably quiet.

BA CSD's can't do anything, just imagine what would happen if baby got dropped, banged its head, then watch the law suits fly in.

Sadly, with parents not disciplining children, stupid Human rights legislation etc, things are not going to get any better.

Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
I was flying back from MAN-EDI last week and this irritating little git in the seat behind me was sticking his foot through the gaps in the seats and over the top of the seats. In addition he spent more of less the whole flight snapping the seat belt buckle open and shut,

CLACK CLACK CLACK.

It drove me insane. In the end I asked his mother if she could stop him. She looked at me as if I was the one who was insane - as if to say "How dare you have a go at my child" - and did nothing.

In the end I asked the purser to say something and found that the man in the seat behind him had already complained about the little brat constantly reclining and resetting his seat like a rocking chair. The purser had a word and the mother finally made him stop. But she didn't half give me daggers on the way out.
That little sod's cousin must have been on my EDI - LHR flight on Easter Monday. Seemed to think that pressing the call button repeatedly was a "good thing". Daddy was positively encouraging her as well, by lifting her up to press the ruddy thing...

Bizarrely the crew didn't bother about it (hey, I guess ignoring call buttons on the shuttle comes with the territory ) - but the constant "dinging" was driving the rest of us to distraction......

Gaza - sounds like a nightmare flight
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Didn't we just have a long thread on this subject? Has anyone added anything new?

Gaza - why not try to get the Miles back? If they really were u/g, that wasn't smart.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by norodnik
Sadly, with parents not disciplining children, stupid Human rights legislation etc, things are not going to get any better.
I don't have kids yet, but when I do, I assure you that they will be well-behaved, pollite, respectful and considerate of others... if you don't bring kids up like that, how will they behave as adults?

Parents who don't bring up their kids properly are not just spoiling them, they are also doing a huge dis-service to everyone else...

Boo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.