Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South, Alberta, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South, Alberta, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Arrow Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South, Alberta, Canada [Master Thread]

Just reading in the Edmonton Journal this a.m. that the Chateau Edmonton is about to be rebranded as a Four Points. Unfortunately, I can't find an online article but here a website for the property:

http://www.chateauedmonton.com/

It's in a bit of a funny location in that it's on the southside of the city and so a bit of a commute anywhere. But if brand loyalty means anything, here's another SPG earning opportunity. No date was given for the switchover, but don't expect it'll be long.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:23 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Here's the official announcement:

"We are proud to announce that the 139 room Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton South, located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, is now part of Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Hotel is accepting reservations as of today,
April 15, 2005 for opening date of April 15, 2005. Dean Nemetz, GM of this new suburban property, awaits your business. The hotel phone number is 780-465-7931."

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was going to post about this a week ago but forgot. I drove by it at that time and mused that I didn't think we had a 4 pts!! Anyways, unless you have to stay in SE Edmonton or are desperate for the points there is absolutely NOTHING of any interest around this hotel. It is in an industrial area. Just so people have no misconceptions!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:10 pm

I have a reservation booked for this Monday and Wednesday night. Hmmm, I just happen to be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Tuesday and then back in the South of Edmonton the next night. I'm sure that it's coincidence that I am going to get 2 nights stay credit out of this every 4 to 5 weeks

BTW, the rates are $89CDN/night right now for standard rooms with one or two queen beds with CAA/AAA. My first night is one queen, sofa and jacuzzi for $89. A quick check of Tuesday July 19 shows the rates still at $89 but they may of course go up as they get busier.

I hope this turns out to be a semi-reasonable property so that I can stomach staying here as I really like the Hilton Garden Inn on the NW side but if I can get Plat by staying at this property then I will.

If you are a CPSA member the rates are $90CDN/night right now and a quick check in the middle of July confirms the same rate (corporate rate)

I'll post a trip report on Monday night.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
4 Pts YXD Trip Report

Stayed last Thursday (April 21) - darn it, missed the "do" by a day. Anyway, I'm pretty familiar with YXD but this place literally is in the E/SE industrial area of the city. Hotel was very busy with an oil patch hockey tournament being played nearby and so the front desk was busy and somewhat harried as they were dealing with several things at once and training staff. Staff were very polite, attentive and doing their best. Luckily, they had a manager to oversee things and ensure things were being taken care of properly (ie: didn't know where to enter booking information etc) and she was terrific and quite astute. I asked them if they had just changed the badging of the hotel and they replied that they had installed new furniture, rugs etc throughout as well as a large waterfall in the lobby area etc. Checked in and asked for an upgrade on the off-chance that I might get one (I'm just a Preferred Plus member). The front desk staff didn't quite know how to handle that but the managerial lady in charge certainly did and she comped me the u/g ! Room was on the 6th floor (619) and it was a jacuzzi suite complete w/ fireplace, microwave, mini-fridge, complimentary high-speed wireless internet through FatPort - and most importantly - the 4 Pts 4 Comfort bed - which is a big step above the old beds etc. It was a corner suite and had two windows (OK, one faced refinery row but the other had a very nice view of Edmonton's downtown). Not many restaurants around except a Boston Pizza. Good service - went to sleep just past midnight and couldn't get to sleep as there was a continuously loud mechanical noise emanating from somewhere directly overhead on the 7th floor. Called down to the front desk around 0100 and they said they would take care of it..? Moments later I could hear footsteps above me and sizeable objects being moved around. Miraculously, the noise ceased ! Good service ! Had the breakfast buffet in the restaurant the next morning and it was fine. Usual selection of hot and cold choices and all for $10.95 which I thought was reasonable. If anyone wants them, I did take a few pics of the room and can post them for your viewing pleasure. By comparison, stayed at the 4 Pts YYC Saturday night and I would assert that this new 4 Pts is better right now (better beds, slightly nicer furnishings) but perhaps this is unfair as the YYC property is that much older.

Overall, a pretty nice 4 Pts property although the location is a bit suspect. Great place if you have work in southeast Edmonton - not so great if your work takes you downtown. It's great to have another option in Edmonton, however.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:49 pm

^^^

I am impressed. At check in Jamie was wonderful and said that I was a Plat member and they had upgraded me to a business suite. This room was available for booking for $129 on the net the other night and I am on a $89 rate.

I have taken pictures but forgot to bring my card reader to download the pics from my camera.

The bathroom is small but they have installed the curved shower rods ^ and the Speakman shower head that is ever so lovely

The work desk is small which is not great but workable non the less.

I ordered room service and the Halibut and chips was AWESOME. It rivals what I would get in YHZ. A nice big piece of fish lightly peppered with hand cut chips served on newspaper. Angela phoned up about 10 minutes later to see how I liked my dinner. Dinner was $13.95 and there was no delivery charge. Most burgers/sandwhichs are in the $10.95 range.

The Wireless HISA is working great. As singlepoint noted it is on Fatport and they give you a wireless access code at check in. They did not give it to me automatically but I think that this was an honest oversight. Just make sure to ask for one when you check in if they don't give it to you.

I should note that they appoligized for not upgrading me to 719 with the jacuzzi tub but there was already someone in it. I am in one of the X11 suites and it has a microwave and fridge in it.

There is a Wendy's right in the same parking lot and you can either drive 2 minutes or about a 10 minute walk to the Arby's or Boston Pizza just across the main intersection. It is indeed a no-mans land but I do business all around the outskirts of downtown so this is going to work out great for me. I should also get Gold with Hilton by staying at the HGI on "the middle" nights

So my initial response to this property is very positive and if your travels bring you to this neck of the woods then this is a worthwhile property.

Can't wait to go to bed tonight and try out the new bed and dream about the bonus 4k starpoints promo for 4-points stays now that I found this place.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:06 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I was at this hotel this past week and I have to say that I was not one bit impressed with it.

IMO this is a sub standard property. It is poorly designed, and seems to have grown organically rather than from a well conceived design. The location is terrible (good luck finding it), there is nothing of interest in the area, and the restaurants are pretty basic.

As a Plat I did not get an upgrade.

The best thing about it is its rate.

I will not return to this property unless I have a car rental and a budget problem. IMO opinion this property should not be a *W member.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:48 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
What do you want for $79/night???

...ya its very basic, but as the westin is the only other property and often sold out i've found myself here twice in the last few months...the bar is super cheap during happy hour and as a plat I always get a "suite"
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:26 pm

I was just at this property this week and they have just started renovating the rooms. They have also added a pizza hut in the hotel that delivers via room service.

I was upgraded to suite in room 618 and it had two Acer widesceen plasma tv's (I dont' know my tv's but it was thin and hd ready), good sides work desk, leather couch and a leather recliner. There was also a small dinner table and fridge.

On the downside, the chair for the work area is a sleek Euro looking chair that made my legs go numb after working there too long. Also, the new curtins are so thin that I could read my book in bed at 6:00am.

I didn't have time to fill out a comment card as I have been swamped with work lately but hopefully a lurker can let the hotel know the pros and cons from a business travelers pov.

Warning: They just started this reno and it will be some time before it is finished. All rooms have had the new beds and the Sheraton shower head for at least 6 months so no problems there

As for the tv's. If you figit with the remote you can change the screen ratio's to make it more friendly to watch (instead of bloated and cut off all over the place). The button is in the middle of the remote on the right hand side but the name is simple but eludes me at the moment.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Post-renovations

Has anyone had experience with this property since they've completed renovations?

I have to be in Edmonton in September for one-night and it appears there's a oil sands conference the same day. Westin (where I usually stay) and the Marriott CY downtown are both sold out. The Fairmont MacDonald isn't in the corporate travel budget...Only other option is Sutton Place - but no loyalty benefits

I don't need to be downtown, so the 4points could be a good candidate.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
The property is fine--I have stayed here several times when I couldn't get Westin and it was more convenient for what I was doing (or there was a promo on).

Renos aren't that big a deal IMHO but it does have a newish feel to the place. I just find it overpriced compared with other values I can get, e.g. Hilton Garden Inn in the west end. Westin corp rate is way better than I typically do at 4 Points and 4 points isn't close to anything (other than Boston Pizza)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.