Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '05 Ford Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Ride Report - '05 Ford Mustang V6

I guess I will continue with the ride reports since we haven't had any recent ones.

Couple of weeks ago, I showed up to my stall of noble steeds from Hertz to find (what appeared to be) a Chevy Cavalier. I figured, I will go and ask if they have any Altimas or Subarus available. They didn't, but they did offer me a brand new '05 Mustang for a small upgrade charge. Figuring, why the heck not, since the company picks up the cost of an intermediate and I'm only paying the upgrade fee.

Mustang Homepage - http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

Some basic stats:
6cyl
210hp @ 5250rpm
240lb-ft @ 3500rpm
Seating: 4
Booking class: D4 (per my receipt)

Mine had 3900 miles on the odometer but at times it didn't sound like it was a brand new car. Putting it into reverse and slowly backing up occasionally resulted in interesting noises coming from the rear of the undercarriage.

The 4.0L SOHC 12V V6 engine was considerably loud even with the windows up. Most of this car's power is at the high rpm range as I found out. Stepping quickly on the gas will rev up the engine almost to the red line and about 3-5 seconds the power of the engine will kick in and it will really get up and go. I found it to be rather unresponsive and not very smooth on the acceleration. The transmission was a 5 speed automatic with no manual shift control, which was kind of a disappointment. The O/D button is incorporated into the gear shifter on the right side and I found occasionally turning it off/on with my pinky when I grabbed the shifter.

I was not impressed with it's handling either, it was quite crisp as expected for a sports car, however there were times that hitting an unexpected pothole would make the car feel as if the rear of the car was about to drift sideways. I'd hate to encounter a decent sized pothole going through a sharp curve downhill. The suspension was almost non-existent. Overall you'd definitely feel well connected to the road.

In terms of gas efficiency, well, it's not very efficient. I'd say it's probably a bit shy of the 19 city/28 highway miles per gallon but that could have been my driving. I'd say it's more around 17/23.

The interior overall was very bland, a little tight, and almost depressing. The bucket seats are comfortable enough for a decent drive but I would not want to be doing long term driving if I had other options.I liked my friend's '00 Mustang interior a lot more, but he did have the leather option. A typical GM stereo resides in the center, with other controls surrounding it. There really isn't much that caught my eye on the inside. I understand that Mustangs are not exactly known to be a luxurious sports coupe but the interior is almost laughable. The rear seat was laughable although we did manage to squeeze me (6'2") in the back for a quick ride. Trunk space was acceptable for two medium suitcases or one large and one small.

Overall, I found this car to be a bit brutish and felt like it was built by cavemen.

Not being very familiar with the Hertz pricing structure, I can't comment whether or not it is worth the prices they are currently charging for it but I do know I would not be paying extra to upgrade to one in the future. If you find this car in your spot, and you're pretty sure you know what kind of driving you plan on doing you may want to keep it, or you may want to trade it in for an Altima which is by far one of my favorite intermediate cars. This car would suit someone who might be doing some short term city driving and knows for sure they will not have more than 1 other person (besides the driver) in the car at any given time.
Old May 24, 2005, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
A typical GM stereo resides in the center, with other controls surrounding it.

You mean a FORD stereo dont you
Old May 24, 2005, 7:59 pm

I had an 05 mustang convertible with 500 miles on it a couple of weeks back (not a bad free upgrade from a midsize). The ride wasn't anything great, but was definately better than the 04 I rented down in Florida. It was the first time I got complements on a rental car, and I got lots of them everywhere I went.

I couldn't stand the interior, but the exterior styling was nice, and the pickup wasn't great, but it's a rental, I didn't expect a speed demon.

Overall it was fine, don't think I'd go specifically looking for one though.

Just figured I'd add a couple of cents.

-dave
Old May 24, 2005, 9:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
My impression is the same as posted. I wouldn't pay to get this on my rental. I'm driving now because of a double upgrade coupon.
Old May 25, 2005, 12:30 am

I wouldn't pay for an upgrade.

I rented an 04 in Indy & it was OK. Nothing special.
Old May 28, 2005, 9:26 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Just had one in LAX last weekend thanx to a "double upgrade" promo from American Airlines. I actually had a speaking engagement with a high school group: MAJOR COOLNESS POINTS with my perspective audience as I pulled into the parking lot (they were all outside the building at the time). The exterior is good, a lot better design at other attempts at both re-inventing and keeping the 'Stang look. Inside, as others have noted, yep, it's noisy. Plenty of room for my 6'5" frame. Other than that, nothing to write home about....nothing "jump out and grab me" as far as performance, handling, etc. Would accept one if on another dbl. ug. promo, but not sure I'd ask for one.
Old May 29, 2005, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP's remark 'typical GM stereo' may have been a mistake but is actually insightful: Ford has in large part dumped Visteon (traditional supplier of 'Ford' radios) and gone with Delphi (the supplier of GM radios). So 'typical GM stereo' may be quite right.
Old May 29, 2005, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by skye1
Inside, as others have noted, yep, it's noisy.
I never noticed the noise.

Oh, yeah, I know why I never noticed it: I had my iPod plugged into the cigarette lighter, blasting (among other songs) Lenny Kravitz' Where Are We Runnin'? through the stereo system.

There was a major coolness factor - I received lots of looks and comments like "Wow", "Awesome", and "Damn!" while cruising the streets before the parades during Carnival in MSY.
Old May 30, 2005, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA EXPLT 1MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott PLT Premier, SPG Gold, Hyatt PLT, Avis PC
I had one of these last week. It was a welcome change from my usual Impalas. I thought the car handled pretty good considering it has a solid rear axel instead of independent suspension. Corners nicely and has a tight feel to it, though it does get a little loose around the 105-110 mph mark.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:23 am

Is D4 in the D class? I called Hertz recently and was told the mustang was in its own class-D4. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437032 indicates a Mustang is D class, the rental receipt here said D4, the agent said D4. Just asking so I can hopefully find an applicable PC. She said the PC for 1 day free PC# 959884 (Gold offer) is not valid for D4 class.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:11 am

I got an 05 coupe yesterday and after having the convertible a couple of weeks back, I paid more attention to the ride this time around. Wow, did it suck. Especially of note was emergency breaking causes the rear end to move around like crazy, even with TCS on. The convertible was cool to have, but if I'm offered a coupe again, I'll take something else instead.

-dave
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:28 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Feedback from an European.

I rented a B class in New England.
B class ? Yes, B class because the money was from my own wallet

But the Hertz person was so kind to provide for my one day rental a very nice upgrade: Ford Mustang Convertible.

I do not care/understand a single thing about such cars, or better I can not afford them. Try European gasoline price for clarification (6 USD per gallon).

From the point of view of a totally ignorant person (me) the car was very very nice.

I liked the leather seats, the space inside, the powerful engine (never over 1800 RPM), automatic transmission (D all the time), the aggressive frontal. Almost perfect.

The only minors were the presence of 'chrome' plastic inside (very cheap feeling if you touch them) and a rear trunk which made me play 'tetris' in order to accept my two luggages.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Just wanted to add a bit more...

Wound up renting a car from ISP in the evening and my choices were a row of SUVs, a Kia Amanti, a Chevy Malibu or the Mustang. I've driven the Amanti before and found it to be a Korean Buick Century with a slightly stiffer ride so I went with the Mustang. I put over 1000 miles on it in two weeks going between NY and VA where as the original rental was only about 100 miles. This one was an upgraded version from what I had written my ride report on. This one had leather seats and a better stereo, however, even with the upgraded stereo it's still nothing great. Bose stereos are superior. Highway fuel efficiency is about 22mpg. The seat is surprisingly comfortable for long distance driving. However, the rear wheel drive and a stiff suspension negate almost all of the comfort. This car is definitely not worth asking for and for the cost concious it's best to swap it out for an Altima or an Outback for better fuel economy, more comfortable ride and more trunk space.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I agree with what's been said thus far about the Mustang -- decent power from the V6 and a competent RWD chassis, but the interior does have some cheap bits and the solid rear axle does tend to upset balance.

A few months ago, I had a last-generation and current-generation Mustang back-to-back as rentals, and the new Mustang is light years ahead of its predecessor (as expected).
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:22 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I got one of these for a one day rental in Chicago yesterday. The cool factor was nice, as several folks looked my way when I drove past. I was surprised at how much trunk space there way. 4 suitcases fit in with no problem. The windows shook at high speeds and there was some water seepage in the rain. Not sure if that's a design flaw or if this particular vehicle had been abused at some point.

Overall, I'd agree with most posts above. It's a fine car for one person to drive around town. But, the low gas mileage is a problem and it's not real comfortable for long drives or with more than 2 people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.