Search

Ride Report - '05 Infiniti FX35

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Ride Report - '05 Infiniti FX35

One more

Last week I showed up to my stall to find a boring Ford Taurus parked in my stall. Having previous bad experiences with the Tauri I added to my profile that I do not want them. Sure, it probably reduced the number of upgrades to the Taurus I receive, but then again, this wasn't the first time I got a Taurus when I specifically requested NOT to get them. So back to the counter I went, I spotted an FX35 in one of the stalls, and wanting to test drive one for the longest time I asked if it was available. With some minor negotiating I snagged it for our normal negotiated corporate rate plus 90$ upgrade charge for 5 days.

Infiniti FX Homepage - http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,c...-12001,00.html

Some basic stats:
3.5-liter 24-valve V6
280 hp @ 6,200 RPM
270 lb-ft @ 4,800 RPM
Seating: 5
Booking class: H (per my receipt)

Mine had 5004 miles on the odometer but the exterior showed a lot of aging, scuffs, dings, scrapes and the rear bumper had been hit and poorly painted over. I'm surprised that it was in such condition considering that it's not cheap to rent and I would have thought people who rent them don't purposefully try to beat on the premium cars. Aside from that it was in decent shape. It did not have the navigation (Hertz or Infiniti) but did come with Sirrius Satellite radio. It did not have the sport package or technology package but did have the premiumum package installed.

The 3.5-liter 24-valve V6 engine was very quiet and responsive even when mashing on the accelerator. When accelerating it purred like a kitten as the engine sound was beautifully muted. This car's power is evenly distributed from low to high rpm range with some extra umpf as the higher gears kick in. Acceleration is very smooth with only a vague sensation of being pulled firmly into the comfy power seats (only the driver has lumbar support though). Handling was excellent with only two minor setbacks of a large turning radius and a slightly tight steering wheel (could have been just that car though). Overtaking cars is a piece of cake and highway driving was very enjoyable. The sunroof gives you some extra fresh air and one touch controls to open/close.

The 5 speed transmission had a manu-shift option which I opted only to try out briefly as I am not good at driving manual transmissions and waste more gas than in automatic. The suspension was comfortable enough but still left you well connected to the road. Infact, the FX handles very much like a foreign car while giving you additional room in the back and in the trunk. If I recall correctly it showed a fuel efficiency of 17.4mpg for most of my driving.

The interior overall was very well laid out but a bit daunting as it had a multitude of buttons. I did cheat and glanced through the manual and my friend has one so I was more than comfortable pushing buttons while driving. The BOSE stereo is amazing. Very clear and listening to FM/AM/Sat does not do it justice until you put in a CD. The 11 speakers really provide for an enjoyable musical experience.The heated leather seats were very comfortable for long drives. The steering wheel column will move up and the seat will move back for easier entry and exit. Rear seats are comfortable and have a retracting arm rest if there are only 4 passengers in it. It did not have 3rd row seating. The rear seats did fold down if you needed more baggage room or if you are moving something relatively large.

Some things I loved:
-handling
-power
-comfort

Some minor gripes:
-Sat radio controls are odd, can't go up and down with steering wheel buttons
-no digital clock
-outside mirrors did not tilt down when backing up (could be in the technology package?)

Overall, I found this car to be a nice modest luxury vehicle without being overly lavish and a pleasure to drive and if I find it in my stall again I'll be jumping for joy. It's a very fun machine with plenty of space to move bodies and luggage, it can easily fit 4 people and 4 medium suitcases. Not having much experience with Hertz Premium/Prestige classes I can't say how well it ranks within those classes.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I'm not sure if the FX35 audio system is similar to the G35 or not. But with the G35, once you program presets for Sirius (the same way you program radio presets), you can scroll through them with the steering wheel controls. Also, it took me a while to figure out that SAT1 and SAT2 are the same thing - it just gives you the option for 6 more presets. I also couldn't find a way to just scan all the stations from the wheel controlls.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:57 pm

I added the FX as my preferred car a few weeks ago and found one in my spot on Tuesday morning here in CLE. I was very happy at the free upgrade from a reserved F.

Diamond Graphite with Black interior. It had 900 miles on the odo and is equipped with Neverlost and Sirius. I wish they mounted the GPS antenna in a better location. It looks like a black wart on the hood. The antenna for Sirius is less noticeable, but is rather big. About the size of a computer mouse.

The audio control knob (Bass, Treble, Fade, etc.) on mine is broken. I can only adjust the settings by -1, though sometimes if I turn it just right it will go +1.

I'm getting only around 15 mpg but have a heavy foot. It feels a little slow off the line, but is very good for a V6 SUV. I'm use to driving smaller cars like the G35 or 3 series. Even though it is equipped with the standard suspension and tires, it feels very grippy in the corners. It is also really bumpy over cracks, pot holes, and cobblestone streets. I'm not sure I would enjoy the sport suspension and 20" wheels, though they look much more bling, especially the 20" chrome versions.

The car doesn't have any body side moldings, so it looks like it would be prone to door dings.

My coworkers commented on how low you sit in it vs the high position in most SUVs. It feels more like the seating position in the G35 coupe rather than the sedan. The low position also leads to the feeling that there are big blind spots, especially with the dark tinted rear windows and large C-pillar.

The 25 mph speed limits around some parts of CLE are killing me.

I extended my rental for two more weeks and got it for our usual corporate weekly full size rate. I'll just have to park it over the weekend when I fly home. Hopefully, they won't notice that their car is gone for such a low rate and I'll get it again for a few weeks in the future.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA & SPG
How do I set a vehicle as a preferred vehicle?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by mshafrir
How do I set a vehicle as a preferred vehicle?
Just need to call Hertz Gold Customer Service.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:50 am

I found out that mine might be abnormally bumpy because the tires were inflated to 40psi when it should be 32psi.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found this vehicle to be extremely bumpy and not a good ride. Would probably avoid one if I could.

That said, a friend has a G35...of which I'm a huge fan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.