Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Connect Going Away

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Jet Connect Going Away

Looks like we can kiss Verizon JetConnect goodbye sometime this summer. I wonder if they'll add another layer of stickers on the airfone faceplates (two exist now -- one covering the old AT&T logos and one promoting JetConnect). I never really cared for this service, and it seemed outdated before they rolled it out. Hopefully this inflight wifi will make some big improvements, but with so many airfone equiped planes amongst so many carriers I'd imagine the installation process will be pretty lengthy. I'm assuming they'll have to make the switch from an analog to a digital infrastructure alltogether.

From a Verizon email:

There's been a lot of talk lately about providing high-speed Internet access in the skies — the same services that we all enjoy on the ground. Verizon Airfone has been providing inflight communications for over 20 years, and we are diligently working to bring you the next generation of inflight communications services.

In 2002, we introduced JetConnectSM — the first inflight email, IM and text messaging service offered in the US. JetConnect played an important and exciting role in bringing laptop computer connectivity to the skies. We are now focused on bringing you the next generation service - wireless high-speed Internet access*, including VPN support to enable connections to secure networks and corporate email. To help meet that goal, Verizon Airfone has made the decision to transition JetConnect out of service in the next few months.

Airfone® Service including domestic and international voice calling, Airfone Service for Verizon Wireless, and 1-800 USE THE VZ (the only collect calling service in the skies) remain in place and available for your use. For information on our services, please visit us at Verizon.com/Airfone.

Thank you for your interest in Verizon Airfone. We look forward to providing you with many new ways to communicate in the future.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
I guess I won't miss it too much. I have used it only once so far, so let my (then) girlfriend know that I was on my way to SEA from DFW...I completely forgot to mention that to her before my trip...

The ONLY other time I've seen someone using JetConnect was a IAH-PIT US Air flight, where someone spoke for 2+ hours continuously . He was basically summarizing an earlier meeting, and everyone in earshot fully understood his company's business model, proposal, technical merits and drawbacks of the proposal, his company's future projects, his upcoming travel schedule, his secretary's name and email address, and finally, his Dividend Miles number

Last edited by PIT_Flyer; Apr 28, 2005 at 2:46 pm
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I think the Blackberry was the death of JetConnect. Now, I can get and respond to e-mail up until the door closes and then immediately upon arrival....and in high speed, no less.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I think the Blackberry was the death of JetConnect. Now, I can get and respond to e-mail up until the door closes and then immediately upon arrival....and in high speed, no less.
I have only seen one person use this during a flight, and have only had 2 others ask about it. Glad to see it go!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TVCMH
I wonder if they'll add another layer of stickers on the airfone faceplates (two exist now -- one covering the old AT&T logos and one promoting JetConnect).
Actually the original logo was GTE, not AT&T. (Verizon was the result of the merger between Bell Atlantic and GTE).
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by AKelley728
Actually the original logo was GTE, not AT&T. (Verizon was the result of the merger between Bell Atlantic and GTE).

AT&T used to have thier own airfone type service with some airlines... which they eventually sold off to GTE IIRC, then hence it became VZW...

Aslong they don't end the Verizon Wireless discount calling plan I'm fine.

-Vincent
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincom
Aslong they don't end the Verizon Wireless discount calling plan I'm fine.

-Vincent
Here's to that! I love this service. One of the little things that keeps me on CO.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Here's to that! I love this service. One of the little things that keeps me on CO.
10/ a month plus .10 cents a minute isn't too bad. Being able to call and confirm my sedean or my friend picking me up is just awesome.

-Vincent
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10/ a month plus .10 cents a minute isn't too bad. Being able to call and confirm my sedean or my friend picking me up is just awesome.

-Vincent
I don't fly enough to make the $10/mo + $0.10/min worthwhile (17 minutes of useage a month breakeven vs. $0.69/min), but it's still a great deal. Especially good for my ego when people around me think I'm rich enough to afford $5/min!
I also like how incoming calls ring at your seat. I never hear it though as I've always got the NC headphones on...
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:25 pm
In Memoriam

I don't fly enough to make the $10/mo + $0.10/min worthwhile (17 minutes of useage a month breakeven vs. $0.69/min), but it's still a great deal. Especially good for my ego when people around me think I'm rich enough to afford $5/min!
I also like how incoming calls ring at your seat. I never hear it though as I've always got the NC headphones on...

I yap on the plane, I do work - it's a bad habit. I reallly shoudl relax for a few minutes. I like the incoming calls thing, but I don't think it rings so much it just sends you a notifcation that someone is calling you and if you get it in time, it will connect you to the live call.

-Vincent
Old May 7, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold, AMX Plat
Originally Posted by AKelley728
Actually, I thought Verizon was the merger/JV of Bell Atlantic and Vodaphone PLC. GTE came before that.
Old May 9, 2005, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jguidera
Actually, I thought Verizon was the merger/JV of Bell Atlantic and Vodaphone PLC. GTE came before that.

Nope...

NYNEX and New Jersey Bell merged, creating Bell Atlantic, and then Bell Atlantic merged with GTE, forming Verizon.

The Vodaphone deal was wireless...

http://investor.vzmultimedia.com/pro...story_001.aspx
Old May 10, 2005, 5:10 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I've used the IM and email features of Jet Connect a couple of times. It made for quite a productive trip.
Old May 10, 2005, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I yap on the plane, I do work - it's a bad habit. I reallly shoudl relax for a few minutes. I like the incoming calls thing, but I don't think it rings so much it just sends you a notifcation that someone is calling you and if you get it in time, it will connect you to the live call.

-Vincent
Actually, it does ring (as well as displaying a message), it's just hard to hear sometimes. I rarely pick it up in time...
Old May 11, 2005, 7:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Actually, it does ring (as well as displaying a message), it's just hard to hear sometimes. I rarely pick it up in time...
If you miss picking up the phone, it does have stored caller ID - go to menu and select item for previous calls. You can call back if it is a number you want to talk to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.