Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When is Medallion Elite Status Effective? The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is Medallion Elite Status Effective? The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2001, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

When does Dl change medallion status?

Have been GM for several years but thanks to the bonus mile offer in July, I passed 100,000 base miles with a flight on Sunday. My account has been credited and reflects 102,000 miles but still lists me as Gold Medallion. When does the Platinum become effective? Do they make these changes weekly/monthly? and do I receive something via mail? Many thanks
Old Oct 4, 2001, 3:15 pm

Every (subsequent) Saturday night, give or take 12 hours.
Old Oct 4, 2001, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by biometrist:
Every (subsequent) Saturday night, give or take 12 hours.</font>
Also worthy of note is that they will NOT credit your account retroactively with any additional mileage you would have earned at your next higher status level. I made Silver on a Monday and had three more flights that week that "did not qualify" for the bonus miles, since I did not "become" a Silver until that following Saturday. For me, it was only a difference of about 600 miles, but going from Silver to Gold, it could be a much bigger number, since Golds get 100% bonus mileage as opposed to 25% for Silvers.

As for your credentials, those come in the mail about 2-3 weeks after your qualifying flight.

[This message has been edited by cataber (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old Oct 4, 2001, 4:28 pm
pjs

Even though the status doesn't 'officially' update until Saturday, you can get around the restrictions if you need to upgrade an upcoming flight. I made Gold on a Monday in August and at first, was told that I couldn't use the 72 hour window for a flight the following Saturday. After I called back and asked a different agent, he was able to let me use the 72 hour window.

Also, make sure you have them delete and re-enter your # in any future reservations beyond Saturday, so that you show up as Platinum in the record and on the waitlist.
Old Oct 5, 2001, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cataber:
Also worthy of note is that they will NOT credit your account retroactively with any additional mileage you would have earned at your next higher status level. I made Silver on a Monday and had three more flights that week that "did not qualify" for the bonus miles, since I did not "become" a Silver until that following Saturday. For me, it was only a difference of about 600 miles, but going from Silver to Gold, it could be a much bigger number, since Golds get 100% bonus mileage as opposed to 25% for Silvers.
</font>
Although it doesn't really affect a person going from GM to PM (you both receive 100% matching miles), if you are an FO and reach GM before the Saturday update and have flights during that week it could make a big difference in Medallion matching mileage received (25% vs. 100%)

This happened to me and I called up SMS, asked for a supervisor and after a arguing my case, she gave me "goodwill miles" to make up for the amount that I didn't receive.

Don't be afraid to make that call if you are entitled to miles and because of DL's Saturday update situation you don't receive them. Make sure that you get a supervisor if the agent doesn't rule in your favor.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta FO
At what point will I be officially GM?

Right now I'm a FO, but will go over the 50K mark on a Dec 19 flt. Does a computer program automatically kick me up to GM after the flight, or does it take a few weeks?
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:10 pm

System updates every Saturday night. So, the Sunday after your YTD counter hits 50K, you'll be GM.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:12 pm

Thanks for getting that one mk92. You're correct, the system does process updates Sat night/early Sun morning. If a pax were to pass 50K YTD base miles on 12/19/02, then they'd see Gold Medallion status on their acct on the morning of 12/22/02 (e.g.while logged into delta.com).

But remember....as soon as you make that 60th flt, or pass the 50K base mile mark, your upg window automatically chgs to 72 hrs (same thing for *PM*...don't wait until the weekend update; start upgrading right away!). So if you have any future flts planned, go ahead and get waitlisted and/or confirmed for them (w/in your new 72 hr window).

Enjoy the *GM* status...it's a lot different than *FO*.

------------------
I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question. Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions. www.delta.com/email
Old Dec 10, 2002, 7:15 am

I qualified for Silver Medallion after taking a flight this past Sunday (SFO-ATL). I had logged into www.delta.com 5am that morning to do an online checkin and I was not Medallion. I got on the flight at 7:00am arrived in ATL at 2:30pm, logged into www.delta.com at 3:30pm and the flights miles were posted and I was listed as Silver Medallion.

I was very impressed with the account posting/upgrade turnaround time.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 7:51 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Don't forget when you reach new Medallion levels to call DL and ask them to clear your Skymiles number from existing reservations and to re-enter it. This will enable your correct status to show on your BP.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:17 am

Location: Boston,USA Delta Gold, LH FTL, Marriott Platinum, HERTZ President's Circle
Update of Elite Status Online

Hello,

I have reached Elite Gold status on Monday afternoon. On www.delta.com it hasn't been updated in my profile since.
Also, on Tuesday I have taken a DELTA flight but I have received only a SILVER Bonus in my online statement not a GOLD bonus.

Question:
How long does it take for DELTA to check this computer error ?
Has anybody the same experience these days or earlier ?

Do they adjust the Bonus error or is it necessary to -mail them ?
I would like to call them but I still can not find a phone number for general Delta Sky Miles questions.

felix
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Sometime over this coming weekend, you status will change on Delta.com. Then, or soon after, you will also see separate entries on your statement "making" up the bonus' that you deserve.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
indufan is correct that the on-line updates of your status get done every Saturday (maybe Friday, but I think Saturday) night and also on the 1st of every month.

Your Tuesday flight should get adjusted within a week or two, but I'd make sure that actually happens.

One other thing to think about. Any existing reservations you currently have will still show your old status (for instance, on your boarding pass), although that shouldn't affect you getting the correct number of SM for your new status. You can call SMS, however, and they can very easily update your existing itineraries to reflect your new status.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:07 pm

Location: Boston,USA Delta Gold, LH FTL, Marriott Platinum, HERTZ President's Circle
Hello Indufan,
thank you for your contribution. My comment to this practice is:
- Thank God that Delta Air Lines is not a bank. Imagine a simple transaction would take 5 Business Days at a bank.
- Delta Air Lines needs to approve or change its software or batch job.
It should be such an easy statement like "if miles > 50000 then GOLD Status".
- If really calculated that practice you mentioned means a lot of extra work and money because of this delay. There are I assume hundreds or thousand or even more people who reach the next Elite Member Level and Delta has to adjust always all these accounts after the weekends.
I'm still enjoying flying with Delta Air Lines. I just noticed that there's something wrong and I assume it's not a person it's the software. I think they need to fix this in the interest of Delta itself and in the interest of me. I might have been that I would need the GOLD Status or the points between yesterday and the weekend.
felix
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by felix
It should be such an easy statement like "if miles > 50000 then GOLD Status".
felix
Hopefully, you're not the coder because it should be:
If SkyMiles => 50000

Those who have 50k would be very upset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.