Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been the only passenger in First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I just checked in online for my flight tomorrow on a 757. I went to change my seat, and the entire first class cabin is open. I was in the only seat that had been reserved.

I know that there may be passengers in First without an assigned seat, but it made me wonder if anyone has ever sat alone in a First Class cabin, especially one as large as the 757 (24 seats!).

Randomman
Old May 22, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I did once on an America West flight from SEA-LAS about 12 years ago...it was quite nice! Never on UA.
Old May 22, 2005, 9:44 pm
Original Member

Late Sept 2001, flying LAX-SAN. There was one or two Shuttle flights that did that route for positioning of the 737. There may have been 4 people on the entire plane, but with the 1k status and the Shuttle policy I was the only person up front. The safety demo was interesting as it was directed towards me only.
Old May 22, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: Many
A time or three on UA KIX-GUM Mid-90's

I flew this about every other month from early 95 until UA stopped service to GUM IIRC in early 1998.

I was the only pax in F on a couple of occasions. This was the old style 3-class 747 however, the gray F seats with the electrical foot rests, the gray/red/white C seats (when C had 4 rows on the upper deck up the spiral staircase which were rows 5-8, and C on the lower deck began in row 9.

To some extent, they did treat this 3+ hour flight as Int'l F, and served Dom Perignon, and a decent food service. On at least two occasions that I can recall, the FA brought the bottle in its ice bucket and put it on the seat tray next to me so that I could help myself.

This route was typically staffed by LAX based FAs, who flew the route as a side trip from their LAX-KIX-LAX route, before they went home. None of them ever seemed very pleased with it. Twice a week, Wed and Sun IIRC, there was a stop in SPN also.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Five Star
My wife, myself and my 2 week old daughter were on UA 717 from BWI-ORD on 23 APR. Since it was the early AM flight and there was no food service in F, we kept our bulkhead seats in 6D & 6F (Gate agent blocked 6E for us). Once we boarded, we noticed there was only one gentleman the entire F cabin, so I've seen it happen before.

The best part about it was that it was my daughter's first flight. (on UA mind you, not UX or TED) I asked the purser for a set of wings from the Captain for this momentus occasion and the Captain actually had a pair! He also gave us the business card with the plane info on it (Airbus)

So we now have that and her boarding pass receipt (on gold card stock thanks to daddy) in her scrapbook.

Kind-of off topic, but I can't help but boast.

btw...she was quiet as a mouse...not a peep for the whole flight to see the grandparents for the first time. (for the anti-baby crowd...not all of them are bad)

Cheers,

c699534
Old May 22, 2005, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I was the only revenue pax on ORD-IND in F last year (I guess who would bother burning an upgrade for that). The F/A gave me 6 minis as a thank-you for my business. Very sweet.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:26 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was the only revenue pax on ORD-IND in F last year (I guess who would bother burning an upgrade for that). The F/A gave me 6 minis as a thank-you for my business. Very sweet.
I burn em all the time.

To the OP's question.......I was the only PAX in F on a TG flight from BKK-NRT-LAX once. Being the only person in F didnt make up for the crappy F product on that route though. Also, me and my wife where the only ones in F on a HNL-NRT flight erlier this year and having a 777 F cabin to yourself is pretty nice!
Old May 22, 2005, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Have travelled alone

I have twice been the only person in first class on UA, in both cases east coast to Chicago last flight of the night on a Sunday night.

Once on TWA from Kansas City to Saint Louis, I was the only person on the airplane, once again it was the last flight of the night on a Sunday from MCI to STL. Even though I had a coach ticket, they moved me to first class. 3 FAs to myself was a very nice flight indeed.
Old May 23, 2005, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: None Whatsoever
I once flew Air India from OSA to HKG (and on to DEL) and I was the only passenger in business class on a 2 class Airbus (A310?).

Needless to say the service was embarassingly good, and I'm not sure how many bottles of French champagne were consumed on that flight.

Old May 23, 2005, 3:36 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
My wife and I travelled in F from IAD to GLA on UA in the early 90s and were the only people in F on the 767. This was the time where there was Dom, caviar, frozen vodka, rack of lamb carved in front of you etc etc. Don't think I've ever eaten / drank as much. Seems it was time for breakfast 15mins after we'd finished eating dinner.
Old May 23, 2005, 4:03 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Last summer my gf was the only F pax on GRR-ORD on a 737 - upgraded by yours truly
Old May 23, 2005, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two years ago I flew SQ JNB-SIN in FC; I was the only passenger in F. It was quite an experience.

Last year I flew BOS-FRA in FC; I was the only F passenger and this was a 747 with 16 FC seats on the upper deck.
Old May 23, 2005, 5:50 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
On SQ on a couple of "regional" flights last December (HKG-SIN and BKK-SIN)... It was fun but I felt sorry for the FA; I could tell I wasn't "challenging" her by being a "demanding" F passenger. I just had a drink (a fruit coctail; didn't feel like having alcohol), some soup, put on the headphones and watched movies.
Old May 23, 2005, 6:25 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Two years ago (IIRC) in January I was the only passenger in F on IAD-SJC, which if you've ever flown that flight is very odd. Even the FAs were surprised. I asked for white wine and was given the entire bottle so I could just help myself.
Old May 23, 2005, 6:57 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Have not been the only person in First since Mrs. JC was with me, but we were the only ones in F class on a IAD-FRA a few years ago. It was late December. Feels like you have the 777 all to yourself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.