Search

"Ride Report" - 2005 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
"Ride Report" - 2005 Hyundai Sonata

Tired of the Grand Marquis (especially since this is a rental run and I'm not going anywhere), I asked for something smaller at SEA and was handed the keys to a 2005 Hyundai Sonata GLS with 12K miles on it.

So it's time for another "Ride Report", but considering how significant the changes outside and inside are with the 2006 Sonata, should Hertz move to that model, then pay no attention to anything you read here.

The Sonata GLS is classified as a YC - Specialty Midsize, and I find this a perfectly reasonable and logical classification (unlike the Kia Amanti).

The 2.7 liter SOHC V6 is designed by Hyundai I believe (might be part of their Alpha line). It is very peppy even for 170hp / 181lb-ft. The trannie is a four-speed automatic with manual shift control. EPA specs are 19 in the city and 27 on the highway.

It drives quite well and is quiet at speed with little wind or tire noise. Handling is adequate.

The interior is snug, especially for those of long legs. You might be thinking "duh - it's a midsize", but those who have driven the Nissan Altima know you can make a midsize for those over 6 feet with long legs to stretch out.

Seats are cloth with manual eight-way adjustment for the driver.

The sound system is by Hyundai with in-dash CD, cassette, and AM/FM. A power moonroof is an option (mine had it) as is ABS (I expect all Sonatas to have it).

All in all, it's as good as the Mazda 6, but the Nissan Altima is roomier by far and will continue to be my midsize of choice.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:58 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Thanks for the report.

Had one of these (a white one) at DCA in February. Exactly as you described.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Added to quicklinks....

I concur with the review, I had this car at SFO over Memorial day weekend and it wasn't a bad ride. It's not as nice as the Altima, but it's no Corolla either.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
The 2006 Hyundai Sonata will be a great addition to the Hertz fleet. Finally, a Hyundai that people will want to drive as opposed to being pleasantly surprised when they get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.