Search

"Ride Report" - 2005 Toyota Avalon XLS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
"Ride Report" - 2005 Toyota Avalon XLS

Must be my lucky day. Have to head to PDX (200 miles) and what should be waiting in my stall but a 2005 Toyota Avalon XLS with 6000 miles on the odometer.

Chances are this is one of the more anticipated Ride Reports, as this model was totally overhauled for the 2005 model year.

Avalon Homepage - http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/avalon/models.html

The Avalon XLS is classified as an H - Specialty Premium, and this classification makes a great of more sense then a Kia Amanti.

The 3.5 liter DOHC V6 generates 280hp and 260 lb/ft of torque. It pulls like a freight train from even low speed. The transmission is a five-speed automatic with manual shift control. EPA specs are 22 in the city and 31 on the highway. On a short 20 mile drive at 60 I was averaging about 25-26.

Handling is excellent, thanks in part to the 17" tires. Very little wind or road noise gets through the excellent insulation. The suspension is firm, but not harsh. You will notice the bumps transmitted through the chassis, but the seats dampen them out. The seats themselves are leather and while they lack bolstering, you tend to sink a bit into them, which provides a natural cradling effect. Heated seats are an option, but not present on my car. Driver's seat is 8-way power with lumbar support.

Interior room is immense - even better then the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis - especially in back legroom.

The climate control system is dual zone. Settings are displayed on a multi-function LCD display that also displays the audio system settings and trip computer.

The sound system is by Toyota with in-dash CD changer, cassette, AM/FM and nine speakers. The head unit is hidden behind a flip plate and the cassette deck is behind a second plate just below the head unit.

All in all, an even sweeter ride then the former model (itself no slouch). I'd take it in a heartbeat over the G35 and Kia Amanti, and if I ordered it and received one of the others, I'd be back at the counter demanding my Avalon. If you need a big car to handle four or five people, spend the extra couple bucks over a Town Car or DeVille. You won't be dissappointed.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:34 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Its a very nice vehicle, they did an awesome job on the redesign this year.

To add to the ride report;

The Back seats recline individually. A cool feature for road trips and sleepy passengers.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Is MP3 capability standard on the stereo? (i.e. will it read mp3 cd's)
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Far better than Kia Amati. Very different car than the sportier but smaller Infiniti G35.

I definitely think Toyota did a good redesign job on the Avalon. Last year's car was odd looking and dull. This year's has more oomph in the styling, handling, and power departments. It's no sports sedan but its far better than any full size American car in combining comfort and handling capability. It certainly outclasses the Crown Victoria and Town Car in the Hertz rentals.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I almost scored one of these this week in Tulsa. I have a 2004 Avalon. The 2005 Avalon was reserved for some run-of-the-mill Platinum member. What am, chopped liver?
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Thumbs up Great MPG for a car this size!

Just got upgraded to the 05 Avalon over the weekend...Superb ride! I was slightly uncomfortable in the driver's seat - but couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was that bothered me.

I was really revving it up on the highway - and when i refilled the gas, i was pleasantly surprised! A car this size with 4 adults and a toddler performing at 25+ mpg (highway & city combined).

Another nice feature is a flat floor on the rear-seat... Overall a very pleasant rental experience.

Thank you Hertz!

-gya007
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:49 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Just turned in my upgrade 05 Avalon XLS.

Wow what a car!

More than 15k miles on the clock but so quiet I thought it read 1500 miles!

Climate and audio controls on the wheel. Once you get your presets in you can close off the stereo and make basic changes from the wheel - makes for a very clean dash look.

Plenty of power, but sadly the balky, slow to downshift Toyota transmission is still there (just like it was in my '94 Lexus GS300). That's my only nit and it applies not only to this otherwise great car but to all Toyota's in general. Seems that Toyota thinks accelerating after a corner at 20 MPH in 4th gear is just swell. Even taking manual control the trans would only reluctantly shift down to 3rd.

Loved the fully adjustable leather seat, and the rear recline feature was nifty. Honestly, I don't know why you'd spend $$$$ more to get a Lexus - all the essentials are here.

Oh - it booked into rate class F.

Lihu'e 1k
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:56 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
I rented one for 10 days last month. My HLE gave it to me for 35 a day as part of an upgade. Great car. Good mileage. Rear room outstanding even with three adults.

Only complaint, interior has really fake looking wood trim - plastic actually. I wish Toyota did a better job of it.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by legionnaire
Only complaint, interior has really fake looking wood trim - plastic actually. I wish Toyota did a better job of it.
That's why they also make a Lexus GS.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Had an XLS model from SFO over the weekend -- I agree with what's been posted above. Dynamics were suprisingly good, especially for a car that is supposed to be Toyota's Buick LeSabre (now Lucerne) competitor. Interior is generally very high-quality, though the stereo cover door did not close properly.

Overall, if it was just me (or maybe one additional person), I'd take the more aggressive dynamics of the G35 -- but for the best full-sizer in the H class, I'd go Avalon. ^
Old Nov 15, 2005, 7:35 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by prashok
Dynamics were suprisingly good, especially for a car that is supposed to be Toyota's Buick LeSabre (now Lucerne) competitor.
i'm looking to buy, and avalon and lucerne are two of the top candidates. i sat in a lucerne at the auto show in boston this past weekend, but of course, i haven't driven one yet. i like to ride with the seat all the way back, and nicely reclined. in that position, i found the lucerne more comfortable than most caddys (the noteable exception being the deville i picked up at hertz immediately after). here's hoping hertz gets the lucerne! hertz gave me a buick lacrosse this week -- if i like the lucerne as much as i like the lacrosse, i might just have to buy one. (and i HATED the century, and just tolerated the lesabre...)

if you don't like the fake wood in the avalon xls, a step down to the avalon touring gets a pretty nifty brushed aluminum look. unfortunately, it only seems to come with black leather. the obnoxious trim configurations on both the avalon and the lucerne may push me to the hyundai azera. (another car i hope to see on a hertz lot soon!)

sorry for mentioning other cars in a ride report thread, but the comparisons are interesting.

Last edited by Seat1A; Nov 15, 2005 at 7:39 pm
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Seat1A
i'm looking to buy, and avalon and lucerne are two of the top candidates. i sat in a lucerne at the auto show in boston this past weekend, but of course, i haven't driven one yet. i like to ride with the seat all the way back, and nicely reclined. in that position, i found the lucerne more comfortable than most caddys (the noteable exception being the deville i picked up at hertz immediately after). here's hoping hertz gets the lucerne! hertz gave me a buick lacrosse this week -- if i like the lucerne as much as i like the lacrosse, i might just have to buy one. (and i HATED the century, and just tolerated the lesabre...)

if you don't like the fake wood in the avalon xls, a step down to the avalon touring gets a pretty nifty brushed aluminum look. unfortunately, it only seems to come with black leather. the obnoxious trim configurations on both the avalon and the lucerne may push me to the hyundai azera. (another car i hope to see on a hertz lot soon!)

sorry for mentioning other cars in a ride report thread, but the comparisons are interesting.
Indeed -- the full-size class is definitely heating up with all of these new introductions. ^ The upcoming Kia Amanti replacement is also looking promising, being that it'll be more on the sporty side of the equation.

And while it's not entirely in the same class, I've been impressed with the new Passat as well.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
I've had the 2006 version of the Avalon Touring for 2 months and nothing much has really changed from the 2005 model (I had one of those for a brief stint as well). I agree with SEA_Tiger's summary. I think this is one of the better cars I have rented. Over 2 months i put about 4800 miles on it and this involved numerous 6-7 hour drives. The comfort of that car is outstanding. Compared to the Ford Escape I drove back for 300 miles, the Avalon is like riding in a sofa.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:11 am

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
In response to uastarflyer's question.

There is no MP3 capability on this car. I drove an 06 with GPS and 4400 miles on the odometer for about 550 miles and shockingly there is no XM or Sirius connected either. There are controls for satellite but not MP3.

Overall I enjoyed the car. I was pleasantly surprised when I accidentally left rubber on the pavement pulling out of the lot. The controls feel refined and the stereo produced good sound quality. The GPS works well but only allows limited functions while the transmission is in drive. (drove me crazy) Also I had to accept some disclaimer every time the car was started. The car feels smaller than it is because of the small hood line view and the low driving position. (feels like I'm driving a go-cart)

While it doesn't have the personality of a 300C (I had a rip-roaring good time in one 2 weeks ago) it is all Toyota. Very good fit and finish. Very competent engine and somewhat plain vanilla execution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.