Search

"Ride Report" - 2005 Hyundai XG350L

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
"Ride Report" - 2005 Hyundai XG350L

So if the Kia Amanti is the "Korean Jaguar" in terms of styling, I guess the Hyundai XG350L can be called the "Korean Lincoln".

First off, the 350XGL site - http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/xg350/trim/xg350l.asp

The Hyundai 350XGL is classified as an H - Specialty Premium - like the Kia, Infiniti G35 and Toyota Avalon

The car uses 3.5 liter DOHC V6 generates 194hp and 216lb-ft of torque. The trannie is a five-speed automatic with manual shift control. EPA specs are 19 in the city and 27 on the highway.

Ride is "floaty", but not Ford/GM floaty, soaking-up the bumps quite well. Traction control and ABS are standard, with good braking. Tires are 16" with 12-spoke rims.

Interior room is decent enough, with 8-way power driver and 6-way power passengers seats covered in nice leather. The woodgrain trim looks decent enough and covers the top and bottom part of the steering wheel (the rest is leather wrapped). Seats are heated and the climate control system is single-zone and automatic.

The 350XGL adds a power sunroof and trunk-mounted CD changer along with an Infinity sound system. The sound system is very nice, with clear sound.

I like this car better then the Kia, but it's still not even in the league of the Avalon or G35. Hertz would have been better off putting the Koreans in the YG category and leaving the Avalon and G35 alone in H to prevent customer service issues when someone antes up the $70+ for an H expecting an Avalon and they see this or the Kia in their spot.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
i just had one of these for a week at DFW. i agree with your assessment -- an excellent upgrade from my F reservation, but the car belongs in YG, not H. the back seat was tight, but i was happy with the room up front.

the XG350's air conditioning feels a bit weak on a 100 degree day, and that woodgrain trim on the steering wheel is painful after the car's been in the sun from noon to 5pm. I had to make a point to touch only the leather for the first ten minutes or so.. give me a taurus with cloth for short drives on days like that -- ford knows how to cool a car....

on the whole, tho, i enjoyed the car, and would gladly take it again on an F or G reservation.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
How was your mileage? I just tooled from SEA to home and back, but I must have used close to an eighth of a tank, which equates to sub-20 mpg.

Hertz must make a mint off this car and the Kia. Even if they paid list, we're talking $25,000 and they rent em out at $70 a pop if you reserve it at an H rate.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Thanks for all the ride reports SEA_tigger. For some reason, Hyundai does a better job with their vehicles riding on the same platform as the Kia counterparts. Although the new Kia Sportage is supposed to be a bit sportier than the Hyundai Tuscon twin.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:52 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
mileage was terrible, but i was driving in 100-degree weather with the A/C on full blast, and most of my trips were 1-3 miles back and forth on lamar blvd in arlington, with lights and traffic. i drove 65 miles, and put in six gallons of gas.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Too bad they didn't have the Toyota Prius.

Originally Posted by Seat1A
mileage was terrible, but i was driving in 100-degree weather with the A/C on full blast, and most of my trips were 1-3 miles back and forth on lamar blvd in arlington, with lights and traffic. i drove 65 miles, and put in six gallons of gas.
I think the Prius would get around 50 mpg with the air going full blast in town. EPA is 60 mpg but I am guessing 50 mpg.

I wonder if the gas tank wasn't completely full. (showed full but not completely full).
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by chemist661
I think the Prius would get around 50 mpg with the air going full blast in town. EPA is 60 mpg but I am guessing 50 mpg.

I wonder if the gas tank wasn't completely full. (showed full but not completely full).

How does the Prius do in terms of luggage space?

And what about highway feel? Being such a light car, does it feel out of place next to larger vehicles? Would you drive one long distances?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
The latest Prius has 16.1 cu. ft. of trunk space with the rear seats up. It is a very space efficient car. Interior space rates it a midsize even though it has compact class dimensions.

Most reviews have found Prius mileage to be short of EPA estimates. Most tests have found their mixed city/highway mileage to be in the low 40s. Its good, but far from the 50-60 estimates.

Compared to the gas guzzling Hyundai XG, low 40's sounds pretty good though.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:29 am

What rental class code is the Prius? Just trying to figure out if they limit the miles.

I have it on my preferred list through Gold. Question though-if I have another vehicle reserved, a specific model no less, will they automatically give the Prius if it is available? Or would I need to make the reservation for the class the Prius is in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.