Search

"Ride Report" - 2005 Toyota Camry SE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
"Ride Report" - 2005 Toyota Camry SE

No PC upgrade this time at SEA, but then if they had parked a US boat there, I would have gone back and asked for a YF, so I figure they did me a favor.

Since for many folks, a full-size is the most likely car they will get, I figured a report on one of the better ones available is in order.

Here is the homepage - http://www.toyota.com/camry/models.html

For a 2.4 liter DOHC four-banger, this car moves. The 160hp and 163 lb-ft of torque are as effective as the larger 3.5 liter V6s on the Koreans and you get about double the mileage. The trannie is a five-speed automatic with manual shift control. EPA specs are 24 in the city and 34 on the highway.

The ride on the SE is firm, but not jarring. The seat soaks up what little gets past the suspension and being a Toyota, the chassis is rock solid. The basic suspension is good, but the additional strut-tower brace and firmer shocks and springs really makes this a joy to drive fast in corners and in quick lane-change manuevers. The sportier tires don't hurt, either.

Interior room is excellent (second only to the Chevy Impala in the full-size category), with 8-way power driver seat covered in a very grippy cloth fabric. The climate control is manual, but effective.

A power sunroof is optional on the SE and was included in my rental, though other LEs and SEs on the lot at SEA did not have them. The CD/radio sounded very decent for a stock model.

My car was classified a YF - Specialty Full-size, but this is probably due to the sunroof. You can reserve the Camry as a full-size and I recommend it over the Taurus. Hertz usually has both the Camry LE and SE models lying around, but the SE is more fun to drive so if you get an LE and see an SE, ask if you can swap.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I like getting the Camry as a rental.

Nice report!

I enjoy getting the Camry. I got a SE in CVG last year & it drove very nice. I got the LE a couple of times at LAX. Very good mileage, decent acceleration for a 4 cyl, and drives nice. One reason I bought a 2005 Camry as a new car. Mine is a 5 spd & I like that. Also paying nearly 5K under sticker is even better. ^

I always look forward to getting the Camry in my spot. Much better than the crappy Taurus/Sable.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I agree about choosing a Camry over a Taurus any day of the week. The SE over the LE for sure. I've never driven the latest Camry, but from what I read the SE additions don't make it a sports sedan along G35 lines. However, they do add more control and sportier capabilities to the softest of the major Japanese family sedans. I'd drive the Camry over the Korean sedans currently offered, although the new 2006 Sonata may change that.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:42 am

I got a Camry (with 2800 miles on it) about a week and a half ago for a weekly rental. Mine was a LE and classed as an F6. I second SEATIGGER's assessment that this car is an absolute joy to drive. First tank I averaged about 30 MPG even after an a drive home from ORD took one hour and thirty-five minutes just to get from ORD to the Skyway. Second tank came in just over 33 mpg - mostly freeway driving.

One thing I noticed while driving is that the cars seemed to be whizzing past me on the freeway even though I was driving 10-over the limit. On the way back to dropping off the car, my wife followed me and we determined the Camry's speedometer to be about 7-8 mph off at freeway speeds -- speedo showing 80 - actual speed 72-73. Anyone else notice this??
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:12 pm

Also agree wtih this....

I ended up getting a Camry at MSY because they double-booked two of us on a Taurus. My wife and the other people couldn't understand why I was so happy to give up the Taurus.

We had the LE - a little bumpier than I expected, but handling and acceleration were good. Definitely a smoother ride than the Taurus.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I'll take a Camry over a Taurus anyday. ANY day.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by speechguy3
I ended up getting a Camry at MSY because they double-booked two of us on a Taurus. My wife and the other people couldn't understand why I was so happy to give up the Taurus.
People who aren't car enthusiasts just don't understand. Just like how non-FTers don't understand our love of flying in aluminum tubing.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by noah
I'll take a Camry over a Taurus anyday. ANY day.
And that's an understatement for me!

I just recently bought one (V6 XLE) and like it quite a bit. ^ Very good mix of space, comfort, ride, and reasonable style. Though now I'm definitely jonesing for the new Avalon...

I've never gotten the Operational UG to a Camry at Hertz though, just the Kia Amanti (I prefer Camry, even though Kia does have lots of buttons).
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:10 pm

Regarding the speedometer inaccuracy, I had the same experience, confirmed I was indicating about 2-3 mph above actual with two of the robot radar readout things they have near construction sites.
The Camry SE is otherwise great, I ask for them whenever I notice one on the lot. The blacked out headlamps, moonroof, fog lamps, and dual color interior make it look quite a bit sportier than the otherwise staid LE. Add that it is virtually bulletproof, handles well, has a 4 cylinder that feels like a V6, and comfortable after several hundred miles a day, makes it a fine rental.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:53 am

I love my 2005 Camry and I'm hoping to get one on a rental this week (loathe the Taurus). However, I have never thought of a Camry as a full-sized car. It seems like a small car to me. I guess when I think of full-sized cars, I'm picturing the Buicks and Oldsmobiles my parents drove back in the 60s. Anyone ever drive the Buick LeSabre? Now, that was a full-sized car.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
An even bigger rating is Corolla listed as MIDSIZE.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
An even bigger rating is Corolla listed as MIDSIZE.
Well compared to an ECHO, it is.

Seriously, that is how Toyota classifies them (within reason): Echo, Corolla, Camry, and then Avalon.

So Hertz would classify the Echo as a Compact/Economy, the Corolla as a midsize, the Camry as a full-size, and the Avalon as an extra-large.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I owned a 2002 Camry SE V6 (but no longer own it - don't ask! ). If Hertz offered the Camry SE V6 with leather, I would rent that car exclusively!
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Add me as a big fan of the Camry. I was lucky enough to score one this weekend in OAK (nice upgrade from a B rental ^ ). Mine was the base model, with no sunroof, but it did have Sirius, which I am liking more and more in my rentals. With gas prices the way they are, getting a car the size and comfort of a Camry and getting 30+ mpg is about as good as it gets. I drove a little over 60 miles and the needle barely moved off of "F".

I was really impressed with the quality of the stock stereo.

I can also confirm the spedometer was off (reading fast), based on my GPS, which is pretty accurate.

Give me this over a Taurus anyday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.