Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SFO Airport - Westin or Sheraton Gateway? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Airport - Westin or Sheraton Gateway? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA PLT
Arrow SFO Airport - Westin or Sheraton Gateway? [Master Thread]

As I recall, both charge for parking. Is that the case? Also, any idea what the rates are?

Many thanks.

DFWILE
Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
I seem to recall about 12-15 for each.

Also the Sheraton has free coastal access parking. Facing the hotel from the street go to the right of the building and you will find a few spots.
Old May 18, 2004, 3:03 pm

SFO Airport - Westin or Sheraton Gateway?

There are three SPG properties near SFO airport but I can't decide which one to pick. I am a platinum and having a 8:30 flight out of SFO on Monday morning with a rental car (I can return it if the hotel provides shuttles to airport).
Here are things I am considering:
1. Room size/platinum upgrade possibility.
2. Which one has club lounge opens Monday morning?
3. Free parking or free ride to airport.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old May 18, 2004, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Starwood Platinum
I recently stayed at the Westin SFO- I arrived at 11:30pm and received a suite upgrade (which at that time of night I could care less about). I checked out at 6:30am. I do not believe that there is a club lounge.

Overall the hotel is decent. It's not the most beautiful, but it's clean, quiet, and the heavenly bed is really all I ever need.

The [free] shuttle runs every 15 mins and was on time.

The BigO

Originally Posted by ylee1969
There are three SPG properties near SFO airport but I can't decide which one to pick. I am a platinum and having a 8:30 flight out of SFO on Monday morning with a rental car (I can return it if the hotel provides shuttles to airport).
Here are things I am considering:
1. Room size/platinum upgrade possibility.
2. Which one has club lounge opens Monday morning?
3. Free parking or free ride to airport.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old May 18, 2004, 5:28 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Four Points is only one with free parking.

All three have shuttles, but Westin is closest to airport so shuttle is generally quickest. I would venture to say Westin has nicest rooms, but I could be wrong since I haven't been there in a long time. Four Points is newest, but I haven't received a suite there as a Diamond and I don't know if they have suites. Four Points offers breakfast.

Sheraton is old (used to be a Holiday Inn) and the rooms are tired looking. It is great as an award room since it is a Cat 1. It is farthest from airport.
Old May 18, 2004, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I stayed at the Sheraton SFO recently a couple of times and the rooms I got (as then-Gold SPG member) were fine -- not tired. The executive lounge will definitely be open on weekdays, and MAYBE on weekends as well. There are nice pathways nearby for walking along the bayshore and observing aircraft landing. Good restaurant.

The Four Points is nice, but has no lounge, of course.

No experience (yet) at the Westin.
Old May 18, 2004, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I stayed at the 4 Points twice last summer as a Platinum.

They do have a shuttle bus that runs (if I recall) every 30 minutes.

The suite upgrades are a secret. After not getting a suite the first time, I called the front desk requesting my Platinum suite upgrade. They have 2 story duplex suites. A bedroom and bath upstairs; and a spacious livingroom downstairs.

When I returned 2 days later, I had to go through the entire process all over again.

Why oh why must a Starwood program member that has status have to ask for a suite if the terms and conditions say it's a fact (or equivalent upgraded best room subject to availability).
And even more insulting to go through this ordeal at midnight.

Wake up Austin and White Plains.
Old May 18, 2004, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I stayed at the Four Points SFO earlier this month on a dirt cheap rate while doing a MR JFK-SFO-JFK...

I was upgraded to one of the two-floor suites described above without asking.

Besides having to pay a fee to "rent" a cable for the "free" high speed internet access, it was a great place to sleep for the night.
Old May 18, 2004, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I live at the Westin SFO. Nuff said.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:33 pm

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, UA 1k, BR gold
SFO Airport - Westin or Sheraton Gateway?

i'm planning to go to sf for labor day weekend... saying sat. and sun. night.
booking the W for sat. night and since i'm leaving early mon. morning, i want to stay right near the airport.... which of the sheratons/4 points/westins around the airport is the most recommended?

from description, the 4point suites is the newest one so i'm inclined to stay there

although the airport westin is only 10 bucks more

the gateway sheraton sounds good too...

comments?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
westin

if I remember correctly the westin near the airport is pretty nice. Plus they have a shuttle to the airport so distance shouldnt really be an issue
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
With all prices equal (or close) I'd stay at the Westin. The Sheraton isn't bad either. The 4 Points is OK but 1/2 the rooms are right next to the freeway and its a 4pts (nothing exciting but not bad).

If you stay at the 4 pts tell them you want a room on the East side.

They all have an airport shuttle, if your driving the 4pts parking is free, the Sheraton charges, and I forget about the Westin.

I guess the choices depend on what it is that you are really looking for?

Last edited by 1K_From_SNA; Aug 25, 2004 at 8:18 pm Reason: I re-read your post regarding pricing.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:21 pm

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, UA 1k, BR gold
well since it's a 10 bucks difference between the westin and the 4 points... i guess i'll get the nicer bed....

edit to add: THANKS!!
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:28 am

I'd definitely concur with your decision to stay at the Westin. Between the Heavenly Bed and greater shuttle frequency (4 points shares the shuttle with half a dozen other properties in the area, so it tends to run behind), the choice is clear. The 4 points isn't all bad though - it's got cheap parking, is a new property, and has some very nice (for 4 points) duplex rooms.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 6:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thumbs up Westin SFO

I like the Westin SFO. The bartenders make good strong drinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.