Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Anyone have advice here? The Sheraton Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) seems way overpriced ($150+ a night). You can buy a house for that much in Vietnam. Hanoi Sheraton is about 1/2 the price. Are either of these hotels worth it compared to other options in the city? How are platinum upgrades? Platinum amenities?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by masonuc
Anyone have advice here? The Sheraton Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) seems way overpriced ($150+ a night). You can buy a house for that much in Vietnam. Hanoi Sheraton is about 1/2 the price. Are either of these hotels worth it compared to other options in the city? How are platinum upgrades? Platinum amenities?
I enjoyed them both immensely. A search should turn up some current reports.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Saigon Sheraton is probably the nicest hotel in the city right now. It's priced pretty much on par with the Caravelle next door.

The hotel is not priced for what a Vietnamese can buy a house for. It's priced on the international market.

I have stayed there three times and a very nice stay each time. Upgraded wach time to a junior suite. Lounge access with evening cocktails and free wireless internet (when it's working...this is Vietnam after all).
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:46 am

Programs: United 1k SPG Platinum Marriott lifetime Titanium
I have stayed at both Sheraton Properties about over a month ago and will be staying there once again in 2 weeks. The Sheraton Saigon has always been very attentive to my every need. They have always upgraded my room to a suite or an executive suite. The staff in the Club Lounge are very friendly, nice and attentive to everything. If you are going to stay at the Sheraton Saigon for a week or so you should book the stay under the buy 4 and get 2 nights for free. Then your room will be priced a little less then $150 a night. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by masonuc
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:58 am

Sheraton - Hanoi

[QUOTE=masonuc]I just got back from staying at the Sheraton in Hanoi over the weekend and I LOVED my stay. I think this may be one of my favorite Sheraton properties and is well worth the money! The staff is very attentive and treat elite guests very well. I'm SPG Platinum and I got a private check-in, access to the club lounge, free dessert tray every night, fruit and chocolate basket as a welcome gift and my 500 Platinum Amenity points. The location is gorgeous - right on the lake. I would definitely stay there again.QUOTE]
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:47 pm

I stayed there in January. The hotel was fine and as a Plat I was upgraded to a nice suite. The hotel is probably the most guest unfriendly place that one could imagine. They have staff at the foot of the elevators to make sure you don't take any new found friends upstairs. On the 23rd floor there is a nice bar with live music. It is a good place for meeting new friends however when you get into the elevator you cannot stop at your floor. The elevator stops only at the ground floor where you walk around the staff and cross the isle to enter an elevator which will go up to your particular floor. I didn't bring anyone down so I don't know if you would be challenged but it would appear likely that you would, otherwise why wouldn't the elevator stop at your floor on the way down.

If you walk outside the hotel the hotel to the left, turn right at the first block and another right at the next block you will find a bar called U2. The U2 is a nice place for making friends. Everyone in the bar told me that it would be impossible for anyone there to enter my hotel room. I told her to dress nice and walk in alongside of me and we would not be challenged. I was correct. We ordered room service and the food was great.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:07 pm

Both properties are super! I posted our trip reports about 6 months ago, and did not consider the Saigon Sheraton overpriced. I would recommend both properties as the first choice in both cities--but then I'm biased. Remember you only get what you pay for, and the Saigon hotel has won awards as the best business hotel in the country.

Kind of like this board-Starwood finds ways to improve service in so many small ways, such as stationing Mr. William Sanders (aka Starwood Lurker) to look after us on this board. Another small way is that at this property you will find a Chef ready to cook for you at the Concierge Club. Don't even think about staying at another hotel!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1k, *W Plat., AA Gold, Hertz PC
I also stayed in Ho Chi Minh City at the Sheraton in January. I think the price is reasonable, hotel is nice and new, and they treat Platinums very well.

J
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by room service
I stayed there in January. The hotel was fine and as a Plat I was upgraded to a nice suite. The hotel is probably the most guest unfriendly place that one could imagine. They have staff at the foot of the elevators to make sure you don't take any new found friends upstairs. On the 23rd floor there is a nice bar with live music. It is a good place for meeting new friends however when you get into the elevator you cannot stop at your floor. The elevator stops only at the ground floor where you walk around the staff and cross the isle to enter an elevator which will go up to your particular floor. I didn't bring anyone down so I don't know if you would be challenged but it would appear likely that you would, otherwise why wouldn't the elevator stop at your floor on the way down.

If you walk outside the hotel the hotel to the left, turn right at the first block and another right at the next block you will find a bar called U2. The U2 is a nice place for making friends. Everyone in the bar told me that it would be impossible for anyone there to enter my hotel room. I told her to dress nice and walk in alongside of me and we would not be challenged. I was correct. We ordered room service and the food was great.
Too cryptic...I'm not sure what you mean
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by jmilliken
I also stayed in Ho Chi Minh City at the Sheraton in January. I think the price is reasonable, hotel is nice and new, and they treat Platinums very well.

J

I am a gold -- any thoughts about what I might expect? (Couldn't find anything on the board.) Also, I've been trying for a cash & points res with no luck at all. (I'm checking nearly every day, hoping they open up some inventory.) Is there any chance that this hotel does not have any "standard" rooms and that's why there's no cash & points?

I'm here on a tourist trip and going sort of cheap (above backpacker level, but not full on business level). There are better priced mid-range hotels and therefore I'm curiuos whether as a gold I'll get benefits that justify using 4,000 points per night instead of booking a decent $50 hotel in the same area. (The pool does look sweet . . . )

Many thanks in advance for any info you can provide. My trip is shortly after Labor Day.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:07 pm

Guest unfriendly means they will not allow you to enter your room with a lady who is not registered with you. In other words a lady you pick up in a bar will not be allowed to go upstairs with you.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 3:27 pm

I am going to Vietnam next month for vacation, staying in both HAN and SGN, for 3 nights each.

Where should I go? What should I do?

Any advice in terms of making the holiday amazing would be appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by airbust
I am going to Vietnam next month for vacation, staying in both HAN and SGN, for 3 nights each.

Where should I go? What should I do?

Any advice in terms of making the holiday amazing would be appreciated.
Just got back from staying at the Sheraton Saigon for 10 days. Everytime that I have been back at that hotel its superb service.

My suggestion for you if you are going to Hanoi is to take a whole day trip to head out to Halong Bay to enjoy the beautiful natural beauty of the waters and caves. You could also see the water Puppet show. Do bring along Pepto Bismol tablets. There are many other things to do in Hanoi but it all depends on if you are going with family or what.

My suggestion to you in Saigon all depends if you are into the bar and club scene at night and tourist activities during the day. If you need more info or suggestions please just feel free to ask.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
I stay at the Sheraton Hanoi frequently, and really enjoy it. Excellent staff, a nice bar (Nutz!), Club Lounge with free wireless access, free internet for Platinums, etc., etc.

One minor issue, the 500 point Thank You amenity never posts automatically!
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by VanMan
I stay at the Sheraton Hanoi frequently, and really enjoy it. Excellent staff, a nice bar (Nutz!), Club Lounge with free wireless access, free internet for Platinums, etc., etc.

One minor issue, the 500 point Thank You amenity never posts automatically!

I guess that I am not the only one having that problem with the Thank you amenity of 500 bonus points posting to my account. Glad to know that there are others with the same problem. Thought it was just my luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.