Search

"Ride Report - 2005 Lincoln Navigator

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
"Ride Report - 2005 Lincoln Navigator

Just got back from four days with a Navigator around AUS and SAT.

Navigator Homepage - http://www.lincoln.com/vehicles/navigator/

The Navigator is a Prestige Collection vehicle and usually is in the $100-125 a day rate (for weekends). Mine was a Navigator Luxury. I do not know if Hertz carries Ultimates.

The 5.4 liter SOHC V8 generates 300hp and 365lb/ft of torque. Both are needed to counteract the sheer bulk, but it will scoot. The transmission is a five-speed automatic. EPA specs are 13 in the city and 18 on the highway and this is about what I got. The car requires Premium Unleaded, which fortunately is dirt cheap in Texas at $2.20 a gallon (we pay $2.35 for regular here in SEA vs. $1.95 in AUS).

It's a boat, but it handles decent enough if you don't get crazy. The air suspension soaks up the bumps and helps cornering in combination with the traction control system.

Seating is leather, but neither heated nor air conditioned (it is an option). Interior room is immense and legroom is fine in all three rows. I hauled seven adults around with no issues.

With all three rows in seating config, cargo room is miniscule. At best, two rollaboards will fit. Drop the third row seats and space improves immensely, but if hauling just four or five, even with heavy luggage, save a bundle and rent the Town Car.

The climate control system is dual zone front and single zone rear. Temps were over 100 and it did a great job of cooling the cabin quickly.

The "premium" sound system has an in-dash six-disc CD changer, AM/FM, integrated Sirius receiver and six speakers. The head unit is hidden behind a flip plate.

Control-Trak 4WD is fitted and can be accessed via a rotary dial. I kept in 2WD the entire trip. The reverse sensing system is nice for backing-up this beat.

All in all, if you need to transport seven in style - and they have no luggage - this is the vehicle to do it in. If you have four or five with bags, get the Town Car. I had a Signature Edition TC the day before and it was just as nice, to be honest - and about half the price.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:45 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
You actually paid $100+ a day for one of those 'Gators, SEATigger?

Or that was just in your spot?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CS
You actually paid $100+ a day for one of those 'Gators, SEATigger? Or that was just in your spot?
I cashed in the points for a free weekend rental, which covered the four days (sans $85 in taxes).
Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'd take a Lincoln Navigator over a Cadillac Escalade anytime. I think the Navigator is classier, inside and out, with less over-the-top chrome and garishness that the Escalade has. The Escalade wins in the engine department though.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:13 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I'd take a Lincoln Navigator over a Cadillac Escalade anytime. I think the Navigator is classier, inside and out, with less over-the-top chrome and garishness that the Escalade has. The Escalade wins in the engine department though.
I like the exterior of the Escalade more than the Nav. but the interior of the Escalade looks just like the interior of the 95 Tahoe that I used to own.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
I like the exterior of the Escalade more than the Nav. but the interior of the Escalade looks just like the interior of the 95 Tahoe that I used to own.
GM certainly has a way of making interiors as unpleasant and cheap as possible. They added some wood to a Tahoe/Suburban interior and put it in the Cadillac version--just terrible.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
I had the new Navigator when I was out in Seattle actually a few weeks ago...it was the premium model and had the heated AND air conditioned seats, and also had the park assist (rear sensors) and tons of other features (electronic/auto folding rear seats, electronic rear door for both opening and closing, etc.) It definitely was a fun car to drive, but I agree with SEA_Tigger -- unless you're dropping the 3rd row, there isn't that much luggage room...

Thanks for the review, SEA_Tigger!!

/s
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:58 pm

Why are the taxes so high? is it a SEA thing?

We have a Navigator reserved for a week on KOA.

When I rent a F or G at EWR using points/cert for a day it only costs around $2 in taxes/fees.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You got an Ultimate Edition, SamZeb, and yes, it is more what I would expect in a Navigator. I really missed the air-conditioned seats in the 100+ heat and the power seats and lift gate would have been nice as I always had six or seven folks with me.

Some places charge tax on award rentals and some (like SEA) do not, Tummy.

My rental was in AUS, and looking at my receipt, my base rate was $121 a day before a 15% AAA discount. The award coupon took care of $423 of the $484 charge, leaving $50 with a $6 concession recovery fee, $15 in facility fees, and $11 in tax on the balance (15%).

So all total I paid $83, which works for me.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Thanks for the clarification, SEA_Tigger. I was definitely pleasantly surprised when I had requested a DeVille and gotten the Navigator...

Thanks again for the ride report!!
/s
Old Aug 15, 2005, 12:11 pm

We just got back from driving 1,976 miles in a Navigator Ultimate and was overall pleased. I normally hate big cars and SUVs, but this made the trip comfortable.

We averaged about 17.5 mpg on the highway, which I guess is good for this size vehicle. I was still shocked at $70 / tank fill ups, 4 tanks in our case.

I kept the AC and cooled seats on most of the time. The Sirius radio was nice, but found that they repeated some of the talk shows a few times during our trip. I like gadgets and enjoyed the power lift gate, powered 3rd row seats, reverse sensors, Neverlost (the new model which speaks exit numbers and street names), power folding mirrors, etc.

The suspension was very soft and there was a lot of body lean during cornering, especially after we loaded it up with people and cargo. Nothing I didn't expect though.

I also liked that folks moved out of the left lane as we approached.

I reserved an Explorer but added a $44/day upgrade for the Navigator. It was well worth it, IMO.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:05 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Received the same car in Chicago a month ago for $55.00 a day.. nice ride but stinks on gas... $100 is too much for one day..
Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Tummy
I reserved an Explorer but added a $44/day upgrade for the Navigator. It was well worth it, IMO.
Tummy, do you have a coupon/rq for that upgrade? Am renting a Navigator for a week next month at SAN, and the best deal I can find is just the HPC1 rq, making it 579.99 excl taxes.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:38 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Reserve an Explorer and offer the agent at the counter $20 to $30 extra per day for a Navigator and you'll be in like flynn.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:07 pm

Yeah, well, I generally have a low risk tolerance, plus I find that such plots tend to not work when you need them the most. And this time around I actually "need" the pimped-up ride. Hence my interest in getting a better deal than the stock HPC1. But, if the upgrade was just luck / a courtesy move, well then I guess I'm stuck with paying 600+, with taxes. Either way, this time I'm not flying out there without a definite reservation of my ride, with or without a PC/coupon.

But thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it sometime when I could care less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.