Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

NYC Tap Water, What is the Deal With It?

Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb

Everytime I go to New York City, I am amazed at how good the water tastes, just out of the old tap.

Here in Southern California, it is habit to walk around with a bottle of Fiji or whatever. The tap water here is so bad it's pretty much undrinkable without filtration. Tap water is strictly for washing.

My wife's mom and our son, first time visitors, were very pleasantly surprised. I've lived in areas where you would assume the water would be great, like the Olympic Peninsula and the Rockies, and it was not as good as NYC.

Anyone know, what is the deal with it? How come it tastes so good?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:29 pm

It's the crocodile juice that makes it taste so good!

But seriously, NYC water comes primarily from several enormous reservoirs in the Catskills, where water is fresh and clean, and it's brought to the city through a massive tunnel system that keeps the water moving so it doesn't pick up impurities or sit in pipes for very long.

Read all about it at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/watersup.html

I just moved to a new apartment in an old building, and had my tap water professionally tested just to make sure the pipes were good. It was perfect in every category.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:31 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
NYC tap water is amazingly delicious, isn't it? The story of where it comes from, and the massive engineering projects that bring it to your tap (such as Water Tunnel #3, currently under construction) are equally amazing, you might start here:

Some restaurants in NYC, of course, try to upsell patrons into buying bottled water ("Will that be Still, or Sparkling?"). And some tourists fall for it.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by mbstone
Some restaurants in NYC, of course, try to upsell patrons into buying bottled water ("Will that be Still, or Sparkling?"). And some tourists fall for it.
I usually ask for "Best of the Catskills, please." Waiters are usually confused.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA1P
I miss the well water at my Dad's home.. Full of healthy minerals and totally acidic. (Destroyed the copper pipes).
Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
That's funny, last week they asked you to boil the water if you were sensitive because of the heavy rains.

NYC boil-water alert on Kensico water
By LEN MANIACE
[email protected]
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: June 30, 2005)

Yesterday's torrential rains triggered an alert for New York City residents to boil their water today, because turbidity at Mount Pleasant's Kensico Reservoir could disrupt chlorination that kills disease-causing microorganisms.

Westchester health officials said it was not necessary for Westchester residents to take similar precautions. A higher level of soil particles was discovered hours after the rains at the Kensico Reservoir in Mount Pleasant, triggering the alert, said Sandra Mullin, a spokeswoman for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Soil particles in water supplies can interfere with the chlorination process used to kill microorganisms that can cause stomach and gastrointestinal ailments, officials said.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I was told NYC water is one of the safest, freshest in the country. Because the water comes from upstate mountain, and it's crystal clear.
Though with last week's announcement, I started boiling my water too.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
There has been a replacement in the water ordering methods at the restaurants. When the waiter asks if we would like the Pellegrino (Evian, Panna, whatever), we just tell him to bring the Chateau Bloomberg. Prior to that, there were several great vintages of Chateau Giuliani. You don't need the bottled stuff in NYC, that's for sure.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by mbstone

EXACTLY the words used in almost every restaurant at which we ate. Occasionally followed by, "Or tap?"

Our response, around the table, "Tap is just fine by me."
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cordelli
That's funny, last week they asked you to boil the water if you were sensitive because of the heavy rains.
...and I'm waiting for an update on that warning.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Avis First
Awsome how NYC has good water. One at times would've thought otherwise...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:53 pm

water, water everywhere...

I am always amazed that Americans across the U.S. buy bottled water. I've lived all over the country (grew up where the H2O came from the Finger Lake Hemlock), and the only place the water wasn't good (bad tasting, but perfectly potable) was New Orleans. One of the biggest laughs is silly Americans running around buying bottled (often tap) water when we have what is probably the best and safest water tap system in the world!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

New York City tap water is unquestionably the absolute best drinking water in the universe.

There is no water quite like it.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
I am always amazed that Americans across the U.S. buy bottled water. I've lived all over the country (grew up where the H2O came from the Finger Lake Hemlock), and the only place the water wasn't good (bad tasting, but perfectly potable) was New Orleans. One of the biggest laughs is silly Americans running around buying bottled (often tap) water when we have what is probably the best and safest water tap system in the world!
The water isn't too tasty in many parts of Florida, either.

But I fully agree that it's funny how much people spend on bottled water. Particularly brands like Dasani, Aquafina, and Deja Blue, which truly are bottled tap water. It's even funnier how in many places they'll sell Dasani for more than Coke, when Dasani is essentially just Coke with a few minerals replacing the sugar and caramel color.

Ah, advertising...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Canarsie
New York City tap water is unquestionably the absolute best drinking water in the universe.

There is no water quite like it.
That's why no place else but in New York can you get the perfect bagel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.