Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Old Sep 26, 2000, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Arrow Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

In Taipei, the Sheraton or Westin? Which have you preferred more? Particularly interested in hearing from SPG Plats who have stayed in both.
Old Sep 27, 2000, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
I am staying at the Sheraton as I write. Chose the Sheraton solely on price; the Westin was close to double the rate, on our Corporate Rate program.

The Sheraton provide a Mercedes Limo service to and from the airport (about 45 minutes) for NT$1700 (about US$60). On arrival at the Lai Lai Sheraton the receptionist phoned the duty manager who personally checked me in at his desk in the lobby. I noticed the word "VIP" highlighted in yellow on the registration record. Since I'm not, I assume that Platinums are treated this way. He told me that I had been upgraded to a suite, but the hotel seems to offer no other perks, like free breakfast and free drinks and hors d'oevres that are offered, for example, at the Hong kong Sheraton.

The suite, on the 10th floor was spacious, with a good sized living area, and a nice bedroom, with king bed.

There was a large fruit basket, and a gift-wrapped box of Taiwan candies as the amenity.

The hotel is about 20 years old, I believe, and has an open atrium plan. There is a large cafe on the lobby level, serving a huge and widely varied buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner, at least three bars, and some other specialty restaurants.

It is conveniently situated next to an MTR (subway) stop.

It is my first time at the Lai Lai, but I've already booked it for my next trip to Taipei in two weeks time.
Old Sep 27, 2000, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Westin is a much nicer hotel than Sheraton, with rates to match. Sheraton is more than 20 years old and it shows. Westin is only one year old and very stylish.

My experience as a SPG Plat is that I always get an upgrade at Sheraton, usually junior suit, never at Westin. They are owned by difference local owners.

[This message has been edited by TerryK (edited 09-27-2000).]
Old Oct 3, 2004, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taipei: Westin or Sheraton? [Master thread]

Hello,

Can't get into the Hyatt in Taipei so am thinking about the Sheraton or Westin. I prefer the location of the Sheraton but don't know what the status of the renovation is (earlier postings say that it was under renovation).

Has anyone stayed in the Sheraton Lai Lai in the last few weeks?

[I could call them but I trust what I hear here more :-)]

Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:49 pm

Westin For Sure

It's really not a choice, IMHO...Westin beats Sheraton hands down. The Westin is also quite central, and there are many taxis around, so location shouldn't be a major problem?

Search for some threads on the Westin here.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:58 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
When are you planning on going? I'll be at the Westin on the 14th and Hyatt on the 17th... I absolutely love the Westin and usually can score an upgrade for 1,500 spg points. FYI..They currently are running a special at the Westin for free breakfast and double spg points... if that helps make your decision
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:05 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
i haven't been to the sheraton but the Westin TPE was excellent, good locatoins, good service and a nice hotel.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I am tempted by the Westin too especially I got that offer for free weekend nights with Starwood. However, you just can't beat the location for the Hyatt. The district is really the best Taipei has to offer.

Will be there 16-19 Oct.

Where do I find the Westin double miles offer?

Thanks.

Last edited by username; Oct 3, 2004 at 10:11 pm
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:51 am

sheraton

I was at the sheraton taipei in late april (lai lai). It was under heavy construction, I doubt it will be ready until at least december. i would suggest you consider the westin, as stated, a much better property. i like the lai lai because of their cash and points, good value. but you can get the westin for cash and points as well.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:12 pm
yyy

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1P
Trip Report: Westin Taipei vs Sheraton Taipei

Hi all, I am currently on a trip in Taipei and had the opportunity to stay at both Westin and Sheraton. Here's my 2 cents on both hotels:

Westin
Promotion: Buy 2 nights get 1 free
Total for 3 nights: $12000NT before 5% tax and 10% service charge
Room type: 1 Bed
Experience:
Got a room near the elevator on the SPG floor. Room feels new and quite spacious. Full size work desk with chairs on both sides and a seating area for 2-3 people. Comes with quality robe, slippers and heavenly bed. Good size tub and full glass standing shower. Internet appears to be free - wasn't asked for T&C and wasn't charged for use. ~10 min to Fu-shin line MRT.
Food: Didn't try. But there is a Starbucks next to lobby, Mongolian BBQ and Taiwanese restaurants across street.
Service: Not applicable

Sheraton: Part 1 - Three award nights
Room type: 2 beds
Experience:
Got a near on the other end of the elevator, not on a SPG floor. Though I was given 2 drink vouchers for being a SPG elite member. Sheraton just underwent renovations so the room was quite new. (I wouldn't say it's better than Westin). Room and bathroom size is definitely smaller than Westin. Internet is $600/NT per night!! Excellent location: 1 min away from the MRT (train-station-to-SYS-memorial line).
Food: Pretty good Italian food. I also heard good things about the Japanese restaurant.
Service: Icebox is refilled with ice everyday. Received excellent service from Sheraton Taipei direct reservation and concierge. Ivy from reservation was extremely helpful in helping me figure out whats the best thing to do with my last-min booking. Maggie at the concierge was very helpful too. Not only did she help me figure out how to take a bus to Hsin-chu, she also called me to make sure everything was went well.

Sheraton: Part 2
Promotion: 2 nights get 1 free
Total for 3 nights: $10000NT before 5% tax and 10% service charge
Room type: 1 King
Experience:
Got a similar room near the elevator, but on the SPG floor. Less view. Bathroom has a smaller tub and sink. Internet is still $600NT/day. Was given only 1 drink voucher.

In short, I like Westin much more because the room is more spacious and comfortable. Furthermore, it's not really more expensive than Sheraton after you factor in internet access. What I like about Sheraton is the easy access to MRT (to go to East downtown) and the friendly staff. Having said that, I still cant get over the $600NT internet...

Last edited by yyy; Mar 24, 2005 at 10:15 pm
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:21 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Thank you for the comparison of the two hotels ^ . I stayed in Lai Lai Sheraton in April 2004. At this time, the renovation was in process and the lobby was right hand side, the rooms on the left wing was not open. I just saw the pictures on their homepage and they look pretty nice. I was in the lobby of the Westin, but to me the location seems not to be as good if you do not have business in this part of Taipei.

You did not take pictures of the room, did you?

Jan
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:23 am

Taipei: Westin or Sheraton? [Master thread]

Anyone had a recent stay in Taipei?

Trying to decide between the Westin and Sheraton. Concerned mostly with the quality of rooms and the service provided. I am Starwood Gold, which hotel offers a better chance of upgrades?

Thanks in advance for all response.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Stayed at the Westin Taipei last November. It's an Atrium type hotel, room was fine, we were rarely there. But comfortable enough. Service was good, geared mostly to the business traveller. Didn't really consider the Sheraton as it was still under renovation at the time. Depending on where you are going in Taipei, not sure which one is more convenient. The Westin is only a couple blocks from the MRT, and within walking distance to shopping/food (well, everywhere in Taipei is convenient to food), etc.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold
I stayed at the Westin last December and as a Gold, did not get an upgrade. The hotel was pretty full from the look of things, but I didn't spend much time in the room so it didn't matter much to me...too busy going out eating! The rooms were comfortable and the service was friendly and efficient (I'm a Mandarin-speaking ABC if that matters at all). I chose the Westin over the Sheraton because it was much closer to where my family lives. I think the Sheraton was cheaper but the construction scared me off. Although I got an email the other day saying the Sheraton rennovations are complete. It offered a rate plan called NEWLOOK:

For only TWD4600 per night, enjoy the luxury of a Superior Room, plus earn double Starpoints, one buffet breakfast and receive a memorial gift, when you stay from now through September 10, 2005.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:19 pm

Just called Sheraton Taipei, and was told that hotel's policy is to upgrade only Platinum members. Was also informed that even though there is a new club lounge, no breakfast is served there.

Room photos on the SPG website looked awesome, with seperate shower and bath, dark wood veneer and huge plasma TV. Unfortunately these seem to be the executive level rooms, the receptionist said the regular rooms are smaller, and has standard TV rather than plasma.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.