Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$100 bonus Bucks question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
$100 bonus Bucks question

I got one because I signed up for the Visa card. Can I use it on my stay at the Riverside Marriott where I have a room booked at the Govt rate which is published on the web and I booked on the web as well?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:53 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
You're not supposed to be able to use it. It's considered a negoiated rate that not everyone has access to.

I certainly can't book government rates, even though the option is on the web site.

But, you can alway try checking with the hotel when you check in. Sometimes they make exceptions.

And I'm sure you're aware that you have to spend two nights in order to use the cert.

Billy
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:22 pm
RTG

Programs: SWA - DL - Diamond - 1MM, A List, Marriott - Plat - Lifetime, AmEx - Plat, AAA, Avis - Preferred
Originally Posted by sanFF
I got one because I signed up for the Visa card. Can I use it on my stay at the Riverside Marriott where I have a room booked at the Govt rate which is published on the web and I booked on the web as well?
Call the number on the back of the cert and tell them you booked this online and ask if they will put in the reservation comments that you are using the cert. They will let you know if you can't use it, but I bet they will note the reservation in the comments that you are using it and that should up your chances.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTG
Call the number on the back of the cert and tell them you booked this online and ask if they will put in the reservation comments that you are using the cert. They will let you know if you can't use it, but I bet they will note the reservation in the comments that you are using it and that should up your chances.
I wouldnt do what was suggested above.

Instead do call the 800# and ask if its good on a govt rate. But Do Not give them your res info UNLESS they say Yes. You can ask what the best rate will be if you dont stay with the govt rate, again dont give them your res info. If it will be more reg rate with the BB then leave it alone, and when you get there give them the BB dont say anything just give it to them when you check in. The worst that can happen is the clerk will give it back saying you cant use it with the rate you have.

On the other hand once you give the phone rep your res info and if they say you cant use it , they will so note your res. My way you still have a shot at it
Old Jul 18, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Yes you have to call the res# and tell them to note it in the coments on your reservation and at that time they will inform you if you can keep the gov rate or not. If not the best available rate + the 100 off is better normally.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
Smile

I booked 2 night at a certian Marriott. I did call the # on $100 BB and made the rez. When I check out I had $650 in BB in my hand. The clerk told me the bill was $469.39. He ask if I wanted to leave it on my card. I told him I wanted to use these (BB). He took them and said this is to much. You only need to use $450. Then he said is $19.39 Ok to leave on your card. I said sure. Signed and left. Had a great weekend for $19.39
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonny31
I booked 2 night at a certian Marriott. I did call the # on $100 BB and made the rez. When I check out I had $650 in BB in my hand. The clerk told me the bill was $469.39. He ask if I wanted to leave it on my card. I told him I wanted to use these (BB). He took them and said this is to much. You only need to use $450. Then he said is $19.39 Ok to leave on your card. I said sure. Signed and left. Had a great weekend for $19.39
theres asaying out there,"Theres a Sucker Born every minute, and thats usually Good enough to make a good buck or in this case SAVE a good buck"
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by sanFF
Are you sure it is a Marriott Bonus BUck and not a Marriott Gift Cheque. The current promotion is for a gift cheque, which is just like cash
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:41 pm

Smile

I used $500 worth, no problem. It depends who is checking you out.
If you have Elite Status they should try to go the extra mile with you.
The Marriott Way, remember.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MysteryShopper
I used $500 worth, no problem. It depends who is checking you out.
If you have Elite Status they should try to go the extra mile with you.
The Marriott Way, remember.
i dont care if you spend 365 nights a year in Marriott props. The Promo states 1 $100 per 2 night stay. So if you are there for 4 nights you can use 2 of them. But you cant use 2 if you were there 2 nights yet to use $500, you got lucky. And it shouldnt be done based on Status.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
If you really got to use more than one you were real lucky!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Okay, maybe a stupid question from someone who's never worked for the govt, but...

Aren't those rates only for official business? And if you are on official business (and I assume reimbursed), why would you want to use your bucks?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
I am a gov employee but I didn't use the rate for gov. I think I just got lucky and they were Bounus Bucks
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ramomatic
Yes you have to call the res# and tell them to note it in the coments on your reservation and at that time they will inform you if you can keep the gov rate or not. If not the best available rate + the 100 off is better normally.
You don't "have to call." You should call because the rules state that you must. However, I've used BBs and PPs at least 15 times in the U.S., London and Paris and I have yet to advise any hotel on my plans prior to arrival.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:34 am

I have Platinum Status and stayed 87 plus nights last year. I also asked to speak with a manager when checking out; the power of the pen goes a long way and Marriott prides itself on service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.