Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New “Sticky” Thread for the Hilton forum?

Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel

This question gets asked about every couple of days it seems.... It would be good to have a FAQ sticky at the top of this Forum so that people could look it up, although even when there ARE stickies of this kind, people tend to ignore them and start new threads instead....

P.S.: An FT Search on "status match" on Titles Only reveals nine other threads on this topic, and a more comprehensive search would probably bring up more.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Jul 21, 2005 at 12:31 am
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:38 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
This question gets asked about every couple of days it seems.... It would be good to have a FAQ sticky at the top of this Forum so that people could look it up, although even when there ARE stickies of this kind, people tend to ignore them and start new threads instead....

P.S.: An FT Search on "status match" on Titles Only reveals nine other threads on this topic, and a more comprehensive search would probably bring up more.
Oh, KathyWdrf — how I have been waiting for an opportunity to address this issue.

Do you think that the Hilton forum would benefit from a “sticky” thread similar to the PLEASE READ FIRST: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Anything To Do With Delta thread in the Delta forum?

Would it be worth the trouble to create a “sticky” thread for the Hilton forum, or do you believe the majority of FlyerTalk members would indeed ignore it?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Oh, KathyWdrf — how I have been waiting for an opportunity to address this issue.

Do you think that the Hilton forum would benefit from a “sticky” thread similar to the PLEASE READ FIRST: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Anything To Do With Delta thread in the Delta forum?

Would it be worth the trouble to create a “sticky” thread for the Hilton forum, or do you believe the majority of FlyerTalk members would indeed ignore it?
I think it would be great to have such a sticky. The Delta one looks excellent to me, as do others you have created elsewhere. I don't know whether the "majority" would ignore it; it's hard to say. (Sometimes even when one knows in the back of one's mind that such a thing is there, one overlooks it!)

The other thing is, it not only needs to be created, it also needs to be maintained and updated. I don't know if that latter requirement has been a problem or not. As long as someone (you or whoever it may be) has the time and energy to keep it going.... ^
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I think it would be great to have such a sticky. The Delta one looks excellent to me, as do others you have created elsewhere. I don't know whether the "majority" would ignore it; it's hard to say. (Sometimes even when one knows in the back of one's mind that such a thing is there, one overlooks it!)

The other thing is, it not only needs to be created, it also needs to be maintained and updated. I don't know if that latter requirement has been a problem or not. As long as someone (you or whoever it may be) has the time and energy to keep it going.... ^
I do not mind maintaining and updating it as long as I am assisted by other FlyerTalk members.

There would be a separate thread for input from the FlyerTalk members of the Hilton forum.

Before I consider undertaking this project, I want to be sure that it is something that Hilton forum FlyerTalk members want...
Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:33 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I think it's an excellent idea! You have my vote...
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:35 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yep

Another vote here
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Canarsie
... Before I consider undertaking this project, I want to be sure that it is something that Hilton forum FlyerTalk members want...
Great idea ^

When I first came to FT, the threads I was able to relate to the easiest were those with an introductory sticky; have a look at oneWORLD & AAdvantage (Qantas Even).
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:29 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I think it is a good idea also.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I think it's a good idea - list on it questions like that, and how to keep points from expiring.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:21 am

Just a brief explanation pertaining to this thread...

...KathyWdrf posted the original milepost in this thread in a Hilton HHonors Status Match thread originally, but that “hi-jacked” the topic — and I certainly did not help matters by responding. As a result, I “split” this thread from the other one into its own thread.

This thread is to be used for comments, suggestions, discussion and anything else pertaining to a proposed “sticky” thread in the Hilton forum. The purpose is to ensure that the information is as easy to locate as possible for all Hilton forum FlyerTalk members, and to help reduce the amount of searching to find a topic.

In a few cases where the topics are virtually the same and the chronology of the discussions overlap where the discussion flows relatively smoothly, I have carefully combined some threads into one thread on three different topics:...do you find that this is helpful to you in terms of finding the necessary information — or, at least, referring someone else to it? If not, the thread can be split up back into the original separate threads.

Also, there is a thread created from “scratch”:

The Definitive “How To Earn Hilton HHonors Points” Thread

...and there would be more like this one that would be created.

All of the above threads would be linked from the proposed “sticky” thread.

Additionally, there would be mileposts in the proposed “sticky” thread, each of which will only contain links to threads to a certain specific popular property or location, such as in Rome or Hawai’i.

There are three conditions that must be met before I begin this project:
  • There must be a demand for this from the Hilton forum FlyerTalk membership, and so far there seems to be;
  • I need to consult with the other moderators of the Hilton forum to get their approval, and
  • I must receive assistance from the Hilton forum FlyerTalk membership in terms of maintaining and updating the proposed “sticky” thread.
If there is indeed a “sticky” thread, this thread will be converted into one soliciting suggestions, comments, constructive criticism, ideas, discussion, etc. all pertaining to the “sticky” thread. If this idea comes to fruition, you must help me, as this proposed “sticky” thread is for you. I cannot do this alone.

What do you think?

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 21, 2005 at 7:29 am
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:23 am

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
yes, please do a sticky ^
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think there should be an FAQ sticky, just wish there was some way to remind people of it when they create a new post. Just a simple pop up box that says have you done a search and checked out the FAQ before posting a new topic? Ok, so people will hate the pop up.......but even people that know about the FAQ sticky will forget from time to time.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You've got my support and vote! ^

(Having been an assistant sysop on CompuServe's Travel Forum back in the days of... , I know and appreciate how much work this means you are doing in the background, :-: Canarsie :-: - THANKS!!!)
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I agree with the consensus, and would not mind having such a sticky to refer to.

Even those of us (not necessarily myself ) who are somewhat knowledgeable concerning HHonors sometimes need to "confirm" a point or two, and a sticky is a wonderful place to do this.

Edited to add: Of course you have my support, as well.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Great idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.