Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4 Points Saginaw, Michigan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Points Saginaw, Michigan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
Arrow 4 Points Saginaw, Michigan [Master Thread]

When I search on Saginaw, I see the 4-Points comes up as among the seediest in the SPG stable. However, most posts are years old. Anything recent?
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:00 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I know for a fact the hotel has been sold to a new company (the same company that owns the beautiful HI Express down the street)...They have GUTTED the hotel, repainted the outside, and are redoing all of the rooms...Many of which are done. (My girlfriend works for one of their vendors).

There is lots nearby the hotel in terms of food and shopping...And Damon's (the rib chain) is right in the hotel...Cool atmosphere, marginal food IMHO.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:08 pm

I'm sorry you have to go to Saginaw.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Bump -- any new reviews for this hotel?

I'll be in Saginaw for a good portion of next year, and it looks like I will be staying here for the next 4-6 weeks -- I'm on the double stay credit promo, so hopefully if it's still pretty bad, I can re-qualify for Plat quickly and get out!
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by prashok
Bump -- any new reviews for this hotel?

I'll be in Saginaw for a good portion of next year, and it looks like I will be staying here for the next 4-6 weeks -- I'm on the double stay credit promo, so hopefully if it's still pretty bad, I can re-qualify for Plat quickly and get out!
if thats the case remember if your res is for 3 nights you only get 1 stay credit or 2 under the promo, I would imagine that the nights should be 2x as well, so if you wont be there enough to score all the nights in order to reach Plat, I would switch every night so that you can score 13 stays and be Plat or near to that amount, other wise your 4-6 weeks is worth 4 - 6 stays
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It's an okay property, but for an extended series of stays it can be frustrating. I had some serious issues with spotty in room wireless internet. I'd go down to the front desk (on my way to the business center) to ask when it would be fixed, and they'd tell me it's working properly. At the same time I'd hear another employee on the phone saying, "no sir, the internet is working fine..."

The rooms are average, the restaurant is a chain, and you'll get free breakfast certificates. The pool is nice, and the workout facility adequate. It is also close to a good number of restaurants (Outback, Ruby Tuesday, etc.)

If you are actually working in Saginaw, it might be the best choice. Bay City has a nice Doubletree, and there are some better options in Midland, as well.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Thanks everyone! I will indeed be commuting between MI and CA every week, so my stays will most be 4 or 5-night stays per week.

I had initially stayed at the Bay City DT the week before, but my client is in Saginaw, so the FP is much closer (and I'm always willing to go SPG over other chains). So will post a report as soon as I check it out!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:41 am

Well, it has been a few stays now, so I figured I would bump this thread. I have not stayed at too many Four Points properties, but overall IMO this hotel is below-average to average.

Rooms: Looks like they have been remodeled recently, and as a result everything is in working order and updated to typical Four Points standards (bed/showerhead/etc.). There are a surprisingly large amount of TV cable channels.

However, housekeeping has been a bit inconsistent on rooms after checking in -- some rooms have been spotless and cleaned extremely well; some rooms have had stains on furniture, bedding, shower curtain, etc. and a few pieces of trash not picked up.

Facilities: Free wireless internet access, though sometimes spotty as mentioned. I have had OK connections on the fifth and sixth floors.

The elevators are kinda bad, they are slow and clunky (and the front one sometimes stops about six inches above the actual floor level ).

Workout facility is decent for a smaller hotel. Restaurant (Damon's) is standard fare, nothing spectacular.

Some of the hallways can be dirty after large groups have stayed.

Service: Generally good, I have always had requests taken care of and the front desk is usually friendly. On one night, the upstairs room flooded and my coat in the closet got wet. They offered to dry-clean it for me and were somewhat apologetic about it.

SPG Benefits: This is the area that needs most improvement IMO. My Platinum Amenities have always been offered, but they have only posted once out of six or so stays. Breakfast coupons have only been offered on two of my stays.

When asked about room upgrades, I have been told on more than one occasion that suites are not eligible for Platinum upgrades and cost extra! There is also supposedly an SPG floor (sixth), but I almost always get the same tired first-floor rooms (unless I ask for the sixth floor).

Interestingly enough, my last stay this week, one of the agents finally recognized me during check-in (she usually helps me with wake-up calls, etc. in the evening, so I haven't checked-in with her previously). I had been assigned to another regular room, but she upgraded me to a suite on the spot (two-rooms).

So overall not horrible, but definitely not comparable to the few Four Points I have frequented in the Los Angeles area and elsewhere. I'll be in the MBS area for one or two more months, and I'll likely give up SPG (especially now that I requalified for Plat) for the Doubletree in Bay City (which is an excellent hotel ^).
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: ??????????
Posting an updated review ... from my room right now

Everything in the rooms looks to be updated within the past few years. The suite that I'm in has 2 TVs ... the one facing the "living room" is a flat screen and the bedroom is a tube.

Internet works great in the room. I have a travel router with me and plugged in directly to the in-room adapter and have no complaints ... didn't even have to sign-in.

Everything was in proper order and clean as expected throughout the room.

I'm not going to use the pool / gym / restaurant so I can't provide any feedback on that.

When I checked in I was acknowledged as PLT and was offered my choice of amenity ... and chose points as usual. I was originally offered a room on the 4th floor and shortly after assigning that room to me I was reassigned a suite on the 6th floor. I'll be honest; its a great room. I was actually floored by huge bathroom, large floor to ceiling tiles and granite countertops. Seriously, quite nice.

Great place; would easily come back.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Stayed here last night for the first time in about a year.

I am VERY impressed with the most recent renovation. The inside of the hotel doesn't look like what I consider a typical Four Points (though I haven't stayed at many 4Pts for reference comparison). The lobby is fresh, modern, and refreshing. Rooms and hallways are also updated and very nice.

Only complaints are:
1) Shower door is poorly designed. No way to really turn on the water without being in the stream as far as I could tell
2) Breakfast. Since the restaurant was sacrificed in the renovation, breakfast is now a cold continental in a meeting room. The old comp hot breakfast was much nicer.

Plt status recognized, and I felt that employees went out of their way.

All in all I would def stay again, assuming I'll have the unfortunate luck of revisiting Saginaw.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Here this week and next. It's... OK. No Plt upgrade but status recognized. Was told to check back tomorrow for upgrade -- there's only four suites in this hotel so odds are not great for longer stays. The attached restaurant is now a UNO and is adequate, though there's little else besides the usual gross suburban chains around here. Kind of a weird layout and the single elevator is a hike from the lobby. To be honest I had to drive around the building twice to figure out where the lobby/reception was. The room is your average 4pts room.

I had to decide between keeping Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat this year. Couldn't do both, and Diamond is pretty worthless, so that's why I'm here for this work gig.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.