Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

New to Marriott... any beginner tips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2005, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile

So, after many years of SPG Plat Status, my new client is based in a city with no SPG... so i'm staying at a Marriott about two - three nights per week....

any tips for a beginner? Any bonus point schemes that i should be signing up for?

Much appreciated in advance...
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Well, there is a summer promotion you can check to see if you qualify for it here:
http://mrsummerpromo.netlinkrg.com/

The Marriott Visa will give you a bonus of 15k points as well as silver status...It also has a nice advantage of netting you 3 points per 1$ spent at Marriott Properties, so if you're not limited to using your corporate credit card then that's another way of getting bonus points.

And if you plan on sticking with Marriott, they do match status sometimes.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
No dice on the offer... it said i wasn't eligible.. .what's up with that!!

But thanks for the info..... so i take it this program doesn't fling reward points at everyone like SPG?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:51 pm

I don't know about SPG since I never stay with them, I've been quite happy with Marriott Rewards in the three years I have been a member.

If you travel often and consistently, you will not have any problem getting points. It's a bit hard in the beginning, but once you get to platinum it's actually very easy.

I net about 9000 marriott points a week.

As silver you get 10% bonus, as gold 25% and as platinum a nice 30%. Then there are also promotions...So far there was a Spring Promotion and a Summer Promotion (eligibility varies). And the credit card.

I haven't encountered any problems with award availability...but I don't use those often...

Mystic Marriott in CT (Full service) 20,000 points for the night...Well worth it.
JFK Marriott Courtyard 15,000 for the night for my friend when he was flying out to Aruba for his honeymoon.
Sydney Harbour Marriott (Full Service) 95,000 points for 5 nights...Definitely an outstanding hotel
Melbourne Marriott (Full Service) 80,000 points for 4 nights...Ok hotel

And I'm still sitting on 410k worth of points I will probaby use for a trip to Australia in the next few years.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 5:17 pm

Programs: HH Gld, MR Plt, PC Plt, AA Plt, CO Gld, Amtrk S+
You can call up and see if you can get this free night promo posted by FlyBalletGuy: https://www.aeroplan.com/en/offers/p...jun072005b.jsp

Also, request a status match or challenge based on your SPG status.

The Marriott Visa, as psychephylax mentions, is a good idea. If you don't know someone who has a card already, feel free to PM me or another member of your choice for a referral bonus. All you have to do is give them another member's MR number.

Finally, if you have some reservations booked, the CS rep might also be willing to sign you up for the summer promotion.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:56 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
So, after many years of SPG Plat Status, my new client is based in a city with no SPG... so i'm staying at a Marriott about two - three nights per week....

any tips for a beginner? Any bonus point schemes that i should be signing up for?

Much appreciated in advance...
Misread info.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by psychephylax
As silver you get 10% bonus, as gold 25% and as platinum a nice 30%. Then there are also promotions...So far there was a Spring Promotion and a Summer Promotion (eligibility varies). And the credit card.
Silver gets you a 20% bonus....just fyi.

-Mike
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR Plat Premier, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
The credit card is a biggie. Also call Marriott & see if they'll status-match. If not ask for a challenge, like 18 nites in 90 days. That was my offer last year to keep Platinum. That one took me just over three weeks to meet.

And stay on top of marriott.com for offers.

Good luck!
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
Silver gets you a 20% bonus....just fyi.

-Mike
Cool, that's good to know...Hopefully I won't be Silver any time soon
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:59 am
Original Poster

That's awesome... i've already picked up silver but Gold would be really nice right now....
Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Switch to Hilton before you waste any more stays
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwill11
Switch to Hilton before you waste any more stays
well, that's helpful.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
No dice on the offer... it said i wasn't eligible.. .what's up with that!!

But thanks for the info..... so i take it this program doesn't fling reward points at everyone like SPG?
Many people (myself included) were not targeted for the promo and couldn't sign up online, but were successful in being added by calling. There is a special number you can call listed in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440052.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
LBBZman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.