Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood @ ski resorts?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Starwood @ ski resorts?

I've tried to search the site but as far as I can tell, you can only search for specials at ski resorts (which there aren't many of right now, obviously).

So here's my question: Could you please help me identify all my choices for Starwood properties at ski resorts?

Moderator note:

See this post for North American properties.

See this post for European properties.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 31, 2008 at 12:10 am
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:28 am

Programs: DL-S,NW-S,*W-P,6C-Pl&RA
Have not stayed at this hotel but did stay in Tremblant for great ski trip several years back.

Le Westin Resort & Spa, Tremblant, Quebec
100 Chemin Kandahar Mont Tremblant, Quebec J8E 1E2 Canada
Phone (819) 681-8000 Fax (819) 681-8001
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:03 am

ArabellaSheraton Hotel Seehof
ArabellaSheraton Hotel Waldhuus
ArabellaSheraton Hotel Derby

all three of them in Davos/Switzerland, a great resort
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:23 am

Here's another one in Canada for you -

The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain
(opens this fall)
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:46 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
The St Regis Resort, Aspen, CO

Not sure about Sheraton Mountain Vista Resort, Avon, CO
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:23 am

The Westin Whistler is my personal favorite.

The Sheraton Steamboat, CO is also in a good spot

Last edited by toadman; Aug 15, 2005 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the very helpful input, everyone.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 2:52 pm

Four Seasons @ Jackson Hole
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Now I am really frustrated looking at all these great skiing Starwood properties ...my wife and I are planning to head to Great White (Canada) in January and I just wish I could find a Starowood (or Hilton) property to stay....
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:39 am

Arabella Spitzingsee hotel which is wonderful
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QF WP
Now I am really frustrated looking at all these great skiing Starwood properties ...my wife and I are planning to head to Great White (Canada) in January and I just wish I could find a Starowood (or Hilton) property to stay....
Well, if it's any comfort Big White is a great resort - I was there in February and the conditions were very good despite the problems elsewhere in British Columbia. Unusual mix of nationalities for a North American resort (lots of Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, some Brits and a few other Europeans) plus a couple of hundred Air Canada flight crew in town for their staff ski trip)!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by QF WP
We flew into Kamloops in March and skied Sun Peaks, Big White, and Silverstar. There is a Fourpoints in Kamloops which sufficed for our first night, but we ended up staying at a Holiday Inn in Kelowna during our skiing at Big White and Silver Star. All three mountains were nice, but the snow in March was the best at Sun Peaks.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:37 pm

Thank you House and TTT103 for your responses...sorry, it's Big White (I must have been thinking about a shark instead of skiing ).

We will definitely spend a night at the 4Points and will check out Holiday Inn.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:52 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Lightbulb North American ski-related Starwood properties

The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain, had me hopeful but ultimately disappointed when I looked up the ski area's stats. Looks like a great hotel in the works, but the ski slopes leave much to be desired for those used to skiing huge mountains in the west. Still looks nice for families in that area, though.

"Blue Mountain features a vertical of 720 feet, or 220 metres, with 34 trails ranging from beginner slopes to double black diamond steeps."

Anyway, this seems to be the latest addition to Starwood's ski-area properties, and hopefully we'll see more to come. Here are the North American Starwood properties that are convenient for skiing or may be useful for one-night lodging when flying in/out of ski-related airports:

Canada:
Western:
(Left Starwood: Four Points Canmore (near Banff, Alberta, Canada. 18-40 miles to 3 ski areas) Cat2)
Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler (Whistler, British Columbia. Slopeside.) Cat4
Four Points Kamloops, British Columbia. Cat2
Multiple Vancouver area hotels (Can be good for flights in/out of a trip to Whistler.) Cats2,4
Multiple Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta, area hotels (Can be good for flights in/out of a trip to Banff/Lake Louise.) Cats2,3,4

Eastern:
Trillium House, Blue Mountain (Base of ski lifts with 34 trails and 720 vert feet. 100 miles from Toronto) Cat4
Le Westin Resort & Spa, Tremblant, Quebec (Slopeside.) Cat4

United States:
Colorado:
Sheraton Steamboat Resort. Cat4
Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas. (SVO.)
St Regis Aspen. Cat6
Sheraton Mountain Vista, Avon/Beaver Creek. (SVO Cat4. Limited participation in SPG. No elite benefits, though it can't hurt to ask for a Plat upgrade as a courtesy.)
Sheraton Denver West. (50 miles to Keystone. 84 miles to Vail.) Cat3
(Closed: Four Points Silverthorne lost to La Quinta in 2004)
Multiple Denver hotels (Can be good for flights in/out of Denver or Colorado Springs.) Cats1,2,3,4
(Closed: Sheraton Colorado Springs. Cat2)
Lakeside Terrace, Avon, Colorado (SVO property next to Sheraton Mountain Vista. Entirely 2BR units.)
[CANCELLED: Westin at Snowmass Village]
The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa (235 rooms. Cat5. Condo hotel.)
The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas (SVO Cat4; 113 two-bedroom lockoffs), Beaver Creek / Avon. (Opened 2009.)

Other States:
Sheraton Salt Lake City, Utah. (multiple ski resorts within 40 - 60 minutes drive) Cat2
Sheraton Grand Sacramento. (99 miles to Lake Tahoe) Cat3
(Closed: Sheraton Billings, Montana (60 - 90 miles to ski areas. Lost to Crowne Plaza in Aug 2006.) )
Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown, New Mexico (120 miles to Taos. More to Durango and Wolf Creek, Colorado.) Cat2
Sheraton Burlington, Vermont (35 - 50 miles to ski areas) Cat3
Westin Monache, Mammoth Mountain, California. Cat5. condo hotel.
St Regis Deer Crest, Deer Valley, Park City, Utah. (Opened late 2009. Cat6.)
The Equinox, Luxury Collection, Vermont

Of these, I think that one of the best values is the Sheraton Salt Lake City. The Salt Lake area slopes have great snow. If you want to ski a different resort each day and don't mind driving to the resorts, then this is a decent price as a Category 2 property. Rooms are comfortable and nicely furnished, but tower rooms are small. I don't recommend it for more than 2 adults per room. Rooms in the older building are larger but show their age. I have stayed at this Sheraton many times. (Edit to add: It's now been several years since I was last at this hotel. I understand that they've done some sort of renovating, but I'm not sure exactly what they've been doing.)

The Sheraton Denver West has served me well more than once as a one-night stop on my way to or from the Summit County Colorado slopes. I wouldn't want to commute daily from here, but this is the closest Denver Starwood property to these slopes.

The St Regis Aspen is wonderful but costly during peak seasons.

LEFT STARWOOD May 2008: The Four Points Canmore (Category 2) is in a beautiful area. But since it is not in Banff, your dinner and nightlife options are limited near the hotel. You may find it preferable to stay at a non-Starwood property in Banff or spend a small fortune to stay at Lake Louise. I have not stayed at this Four Points.

Last edited by sc flier; May 3, 2010 at 2:39 pm Reason: Updated Westin Riverfront Villa which opened a while back
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
and why the heck did a search for "ski" in this forum last night not turn up this thread, causing me to spend the evening searching state by state, country by country, for a ski vacation..... I did come to the conclusion that checking "Ski" on the spg search screen does absolutely nothing.

I came up with basically the same:

- Steamboat (stayed there over Christmas last year - great skiing/town, OK hotel, great location),
- St. Regis Aspen (spendy, and I'm not a big Aspen fan - too much posturing, not enough skiing)
- Whistler (been there - best skiing in the hemisphere),
- Tremblant (not sure on the skiiing, I'm used to the Rockies/Alps)
- Salt Lake City (I've done Alta and Snowbird but there are many options left to explore).

SLC may be the choice this year. I'll invetigate Switzerland, but that may be a bit much with a 6 yr old.

I nominate this thread to go in the forum sticky FAQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.