Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Old Dec 13, 2001, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

I would value the comments of recent visitors to this property. I stayed there in fall 1999 and found it a little run down (specially the leisure area - sauna and pool), though the location across the street from T3 is probably unbeatable. I am booked in early spring in a Smart Room for CAD 149 - room plus cont. BF for 2) plus taxes. Value for money wise, would you think I go there or recommend another property in the airport area ? Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 13, 2001, 7:09 am

At the Sheraton Gateway, you need to add to the 149 CAD, the 10$ mandatory parking fee(the regular fee is 20$ but hotel guests pay half if you get your parking ticket stamped). Note that I most often used to pay 99 CAD for this property for weekend stays.

Well, for the same 159$ (or less) if I can get the two-room Jacuzzi at the Sheraton Toronto Parkway, I would go for the Parkway.

However, I really do enjoy the Gateway. I've stayed there many times and have always enjoyed the active lobby, the gym, the nice rooms, and even the close access to the airport for a quick bite if you get tired of the restaurants in the property.

Then there's always the Westin Prince, strategically located right in the center of Metro T.O. Nice property too with Heavenly beds and a glass surrounded shower.

Anyways, since you prefer to stay in the airport area, I would recommend the Gateway. I have never been disappointed by the service or room quality with which I have received.

------------------
Got points ? Got smiles !
Old Dec 13, 2001, 9:25 am
Original Member

Gateway or Prince, whichever is cheaper or the Gateway if I have an early flight.
Old Dec 13, 2001, 9:25 am
T3

I often stay at the Gateway. Even though I'm from Toronto, I like to stay there overnight if I have an early morning flight out of terminal 3. I haven't used their sauna and pool recently so I can't comment. Their restaurants are certainly up to their previous standard, especially the Mahogany Grill (Room?). The only major difference in the past few years has been the parking charges. Their deal with the airport has changed and all you can now expect is a lower rate per day for each night's stay.
Old Dec 13, 2001, 10:09 am

I stayed there last week and had no complaints about the hotel quality. Didn't use may of the facilities, but my room on the club floor was nice and room service food wasn't bad.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 10:46 am

In late September, I called from the airport and got a room for CAD$99. It was lower than what the Hilton had that day.... so I took it. No upgrade or amenity was offered, though. I am Plat.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 10:55 am
Suspended

I like the property, though I have had upgrade problems. I actually got a managers name that said Plats don't get suites. I took it to Starwood and on my next stay a few days later I was given a suite. Otherwise I was always on Club floor which wasn't bad just for me, but I wanted a suite when travelling with a party. Ammenities have always been weak, usually a white paper bag with chips, water, granola bar, choclate bar. Nothing too exciting. We enjoy the pool and steam room very much.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much to everybody for giving valuable advice. Would Lufthansa from Germany arrive at Terminal 3 or another terminal ? Would Air Canada (Domestic to Halifax) fly out of Terminal 2 ? All the best.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 12:55 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Luhthansa flights arrive at Terminal 1.
Air Canada domestic flights flies out of Terminal 2.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 9:00 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Toronto Airport Sheraton

Has anyone ever been upgraded to a suite at this hotel? I stay there quite often and always get on the SPG floor but I have never seen the inside of a suite and I am a platinum member.

PS: this is a truly great hotel, well run too. Connected to Terminal 3 which is now not much good if you are flying AC anymore.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:26 pm

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
Yes, but you have to literally demand them at check-in. Have had many late night arguments with the staff .. the morning crew seem to be nicer but by then it is too late. Very inconsistent and irritating. The one bedroom suite is quite nice with furniture that is a considerable step up in quality from the regular rooms. You get two bathrooms as the parlour is just a former bedroom and the door to the bedroom is a regular connecting room double door.

There was a flurry of postings about this property about a year ago ... complaints to corporate services and reports of improvements. But it is now back to its old way of denying PLTs upgrades claiming that the upg is to the Club floor only.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 5:05 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Toronto Airport Sheraton

I am staying right now at this hotel and I have to tell you it is one of the best in the chain. Perhaps the best thing is the friendly staff, well at least two of them on the front desk, Michael and Vickie. I have stayed here before and staff were mediocre but today these two have made me feel sensational! Michael is even letting me use his office. If I could vote for starwood employees, these two would make the head of the class! I hope WIllima is making note of this.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 11:09 am
T3

I agree that it's one of the best. However, my last stay was somewhat disappointing as they've closed the Mahogany Grill which was a great dining room. I had looked forward to having dinner there the night before my flight but instead had to go to one of the other airport hotels for supper. The coffee at the Sheraton is fine but I was looking forward to a little "upscale" place to entertain a guest.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 11:14 pm
Commander Catcop

The staff at the YYZ Sheraton is efficient and friendly (even at 8 in the morning when I normally have flights home.)

Rooms are nice and while I have not used it I believe there is an Club Room/Executive lounge on the top floor.

Plus, the hotel sometimes has great rates.

Glad you enjoyed your stay 100,000.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Sheraton Gateway Toronto - recent stay (Platinum)

My experience during a two day stay in late September.

Overall grade: B+

Type of rate paid:
"best rate" without restrictions

Platinum recognition:
Upgrade to a somewhat larger room
No club-level, but club-level lounge access.
Telephone access charges waived.

Platinum ammenity:
none offered

Glitches:
First evening: indifferent service at the Swiss Cafe (server did not show for 30
minutes after first dropping the drinks).
We had the dinner buffet, which was not
maintained during our dinner and featured
many empty bowls and food warmers.

Cudos:
Restaurant manager resolved our bad experience on the second night by offering a substantial discount on our check. Service and buffet maintenance on the second night were outstanding.

Noise insulation is perfect. Even though the property is acutally within the airport, no airplane noise could be heard at all. Very friendly and professional staff (except for that one server).

Summary:
A good-sized room with average decor and ammenities. Glitches and lack of Platinum Ammenity tarnished the experience a bit. Overall, I was quite satisfied and would recomend the property. This property is your best choice if you arrive on American or other carriers that go to terminal 3 in YTO, since you can actually walk from your flight to your room in five minutes. Overall: B+

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.