Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US1
US Airways says to restrict flying minors, pets

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...-USAIRWAYS.XML

US Airways says to restrict flying minors, pets
Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:01 PM BST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc., said on Wednesday it was coordinating consumer policies with merger partner America West Airlines and would soon no longer fly unaccompanied minors on connecting flights or carry pets as cargo.

US Airways said it was aligning three of its travel policies with those at America West, to take effect on October 1.

Children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 travelling as unaccompanied minors can fly US Airways only on nonstop flights. US Airways will make an exception for unaccompanied minors with ticketed reservations made prior to August 17. They may travel on connecting flights through November 1. Reservations for unaccompanied minor travel on connecting flights made after August 17 will be honoured through September 30.

Pets and other animals will no longer be accepted for travel as checked baggage or cargo. US Airways will make an exception for ticketed reservations made before August 17 to carry pets as checked baggage, which will be honoured through November 1.

US Airways says its pet cargo has been a good business through the years. "It's primarily dogs and cats," said spokesman David Castelveter. "But we have shipped rabbits; We have shipped birds."

The policy change does not apply to the transportation of service animals such as seeing eye dogs.

Also, passengers needing supplemental oxygen will no longer be able to purchase it on US Airways flights. The airline is working to implement new policies as a result of the FAA's recent approval of portable oxygen systems.

The carriers hope to finalise their merger this fall in conjunction with US Airways' emergence from bankruptcy protection.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Cool Disappointed...

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Pets and other animals will no longer be accepted for travel as checked baggage or cargo. US Airways will make an exception for ticketed reservations made before August 17 to carry pets as checked baggage, which will be honoured through November 1.
While not surprising, it's definitely disappointing to hear. For the last few years, my German Shepherd has travelled on US in cargo an average of 1 LGA-MSY RT/yr. I'm not going to debate the safety or ethical concerns of transporting your pet in this manner, but it has worked out wonderfully for us. Kelsey has always been well taken care of by the US staff. I've had the CPT personally go out in the rain to ensure that she was safe and sound in the cargo hold and then come to my seat to reassure me prior to take off. I will have to rethink my holiday plans with this new policy in place (or take the advice of one of the MSY TAs..."She's your service dog...RIGHT??? " )
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I guess as a LCC, it makes sense that they don't put minors on connecting flights. Fortunately, the grandson lives only 90 minutes from CLT and it gives us more peace of mind to drive him to CLT and put him on a flight to SFO than to origniate him in CAE. The downside is that there are many minors who don't live close to a hub airport.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:56 pm

Programs: US lowlife
I think this was done to limit the amount of heat-related issues with flights on the newfound carrier that will have one of their hubs in the southwest US (PHX). There's stringent rules on the temperatures that they will transport pets in, and those can vary significantly from ground-air-ground.

Case and point, DEN was averaging 90+ temperatures on the tarmac back in July and refused to transport my cousin's chiuaua (sp) from PHL-DEN for reasons of not baking the dog. Eventually the temperatures cooled down and he made it.

It is unfortunate for the few, but probably a decent decision business-wise.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat
there's no mention of pigs.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:56 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Originally Posted by DeacDiggler
"MMMMMMMMM....... Bacoooooooooon." - Homer Simpson
Old Aug 17, 2005, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by DeacDiggler
aren't those carried in the cabin, instead of as cargo?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcooke
Case and point, DEN was averaging 90+ temperatures on the tarmac back in July and refused to transport my cousin's chiuaua (sp) from PHL-DEN for reasons of not baking the dog. Eventually the temperatures cooled down and he made it.
Sounds like your cousin should have carried the chihuahua onboard rather than checking it as baggage, assuming your cousin was flying on the flights and not just sending the dog as cargo. I just completed a trip with a similarly-sized pet and found the experience to be fine--although with US' $100-each way fees, the dog's "ticket" cost more than mine and nearly more than those of my wife and I together
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:24 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
Originally Posted by jcooke
I think this was done to limit the amount of heat-related issues with flights on the newfound carrier that will have one of their hubs in the southwest US (PHX). There's stringent rules on the temperatures that they will transport pets in, and those can vary significantly from ground-air-ground.

It is unfortunate for the few, but probably a decent decision business-wise.
Hi all this is my first post in the US forum, until now I have spent the majority of my time in the HP forum but look forward to interacting with all of you going forward... ^

The heat would be the primary reason for the Pets in Cargo, LAS and PHX both can get 115 + in the summer and this was HP's current policy so it makes sense to carry it to the merged airline.

Some will also remember that HP had some notorious issues a few years back with transporting UM's, they subsequently changed the policy to only allow them on non-stops, to lessen the burden on the HP staff.

Pets should still be able to be carried on-board as long as you buy a pet ticket and they fit in the approved carrier and under the seat in front of you...The current rules allow any given flight to have a max of one pet in the First Class Cabin and a max of two in coach.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
The heat would be the primary reason for the Pets in Cargo, LAS and PHX both can get 115 + in the summer and this was HP's current policy so it makes sense to carry it to the merged airline.
Welcome to the US board...we're a (mostly) friendly bunch

I can appreciate how hot it gets in PHX and LAS, but wouldn't it be more reasonable to enact rules and guidelines similar to most other major carriers ie not transporting pets in cargo under extreme temps rather than a blanket ban?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by exerda
Sounds like your cousin should have carried the chihuahua onboard rather than checking it as baggage, assuming your cousin was flying on the flights and not just sending the dog as cargo. I just completed a trip with a similarly-sized pet and found the experience to be fine--although with US' $100-each way fees, the dog's "ticket" cost more than mine and nearly more than those of my wife and I together
They eventually did take him in the cabin, with a friend that was already flying EWR-DEN. I offered my services as courier, and almost ended up doing it, but my aunt backed down.

-JC
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
Pets should still be able to be carried on-board as long as you buy a pet ticket and they fit in the approved carrier and under the seat in front of you...The current rules allow any given flight to have a max of one pet in the First Class Cabin and a max of two in coach.
I believe that's the fairly standard rule across the industry and the one US already had in place, so it's good HP's rule is fairly similar and shouldn't cause confusion.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:42 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
This is indeed sad, as my dog has traveled to North Carolina at least 1-2 times a year on US, and they have always taken great care of her and us as passengers witih a checked animal.

I always thought this was a good profit center for the carriers, but I guess simplification ultimately wins out.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:09 pm

Yet another nail in the coffin for me - I will not fly, on principle, an airline that does not allow animals to be carried.

I'm a cat show judge - and have flown US as my carrier of choice for over 15 years - last year they really annoyed the he!! out of me - when we got box lunches in first and I started switching my business to CO - this finishes it for me.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Disappointing, but certainly a lot better than getting sued for negligence.

No company can be all things to all people.

I find it commendable when an airline focuses on its strengths, those areas where it has an economic "comparative advantage," and sets aside those areas where it is not as efficient.

Well done US!

Bravo Zulu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.