Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What are the worst RC and FS properties?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

I'll start:

RC Marina del Rey: small rooms; stingy with upgrades, even on FHR; medicre food in the club, especially at lunch.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 3:35 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
RC Montreal: just so overly mediocre (at best) and horrid (at worst) rooms, service, and F&B

FS Vancouver and Toronto: rooms are very sub-par as compared to international FS standards.... service, however, is still best in their respective markets.

RC Pentagon City: small rooms, poor service, overall effect, an upscale Holiday Inn

FS San Francisco: absolutely average -- hard to believe this is a Mobil 5 star hotel....
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:08 pm

RC New Orleans. Dirty suites. Uninformed staff and hit or miss service.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was top notch though.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Agree that RC Pentagon City is the pits, service is poor, restaurant is poor, I can't even get return calls from accounting on billing mistakes charged to my credit card six months after thefact.

Disagree on RC Marina del Rey, but my experience was with a suite and not a standard room (which I have heard is small, tired). Suite was nice, would have liked a larger balcony to look out over the marina. I suppose that compared to some RC properties it may not be great but (a) it's a darn site better than Pentagon City and (b) I compare it to my other LAX overnight options...
Old Aug 24, 2005, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT
FS Aviara - was the most middle class FS I have ever seen. Crawling with noisy kids, not a classy ambience in the public areas and rooms like a Hilton.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by catwings01
FS Aviara - was the most middle class FS I have ever seen. Crawling with noisy kids, not a classy ambience in the public areas and rooms like a Hilton.
Exactly
This is why my son, daughter-in-law and their 2 toddlers love it. ^
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by gleff
Agree that RC Pentagon City is the pits, service is poor, restaurant is poor, I can't even get return calls from accounting on billing mistakes charged to my credit card six months after thefact.

Disagree on RC Marina del Rey, but my experience was with a suite and not a standard room (which I have heard is small, tired). Suite was nice, would have liked a larger balcony to look out over the marina. I suppose that compared to some RC properties it may not be great but (a) it's a darn site better than Pentagon City and (b) I compare it to my other LAX overnight options...
Disagree on RC Marina del Rey, but my experience was with a suite and not a standard room. IIRC, you were on your honeymoon, right?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by luxury
RC Montreal: just so overly mediocre (at best) and horrid (at worst) rooms, service, and F&B

RC Pentagon City: small rooms, poor service, overall effect, an upscale Holiday Inn
Forgot about these two. When do you suppose was the last time the Montreal property had a renovation? Perhaps never?

And the Pentagon City property is a total joke. I overnighted there once before an early flight out of DCA. They had placed a placard in each room that guests could fill out and hang on the door to order food packaged to go for flying, which I thought was a great idea given their proximity to DCA. So I ordered breakfast to go: a bagel with lox, fruit and OJ. They packaged everything in a separate large plastic clamshells -- one for the bagel, one for the lox, one for the onion and tomato garnish, one for the cream cheese, and one for the fruit -- and then packed everything in two large boxes; there was no way I could carry these boxes together with my carryons. And the oj was served in a glass bottle that required a bottle opener (not included) to open. The whole thing was remarkably amateurish. I'm getting angry all over again just thinking about it.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:25 pm

rc/fs

worst rc: pentagon city - rooms are ok, but service was confused several times i visited and, for some reason, i think the elevators look/feel cheap. the restaurant breakfast was bad - and again, confused slow service. the hotel is attached to the pentagon city mall - and it's getting tired [too many kids hanging around]

worst fs: vancouver - rooms are tired and sparse. the 'luxury' is the service which was - in my mind - just ok.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:03 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Worst RC's: Montreal, New Orleans

Worst FS's: Houston, Vancouver
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:09 am

Isn't there a FS in California that's being dropped from the chain because it's not 'up to standards'? I'd imagine that's one of the worst. In terms of RC, I've heard awful things about the one in Montreal. There's a new one coming in Charlotte that will be nice because it's new but I'm not expecting one of their best - gonna be really small.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:35 am
gj1

Originally Posted by cltwbb
Isn't there a FS in California that's being dropped from the chain because it's not 'up to standards'? I'd imagine that's one of the worst. In terms of RC, I've heard awful things about the one in Montreal. There's a new one coming in Charlotte that will be nice because it's new but I'm not expecting one of their best - gonna be really small.
FS Newport is being dropped. It may not have been THE worse but it was near the bottom. Location was substandard, rooms were average, and the public areas were mediocre.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
RC Kapalua, Maui. One person doing check in? Ugly resort tourist crowd, mixed with ugly conventioneers? This is not a luxury hotel. I wasn't even happy with the Plantation golf course which didn't look anything like it does during the Mercedes Tournament.

I haven't had a bad FS stay yet.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
RC Phoenix - drab hotel, very basic rooms, fair service. I was not impressed and moved over to the Biltmore as soon as a room became available.

stimpy - I'm surprised at your assessment of the RC Kapalua. I've been twice and couldn't be more complimentary across the board - rooms, food, service, golf - all top notch. My stay at the FS was incredibly disappointing by comparison. But, to each his own.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess no one other than me has stayed at the RC ex-Huntington Sheraton in Pasadena, California. Unhelpful staff, more stuff for sale in the room than in a medium-sized Wal-Mart. I hate it when my hotel room becomes one large vending machine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.