Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Century Plaza Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - CLOSING 3/1/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Century Plaza Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - CLOSING 3/1/16

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist/ SPG Gold / American Platinum / Southwest A-List
I unfortunately do not have an actual review of the Executive Suite as my reservation was upgraded to the Century Suite. I asked the front desk about it and was told that the Executive Suite is smaller and does not have the extra half bathroom that the Century Suite does. I also seem to recall that there was mention of the room being a single large room rather than partitioned into two rooms as the Century Suite is. Hope that helps.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum
Anyone have any recent info in general regarding this hotel?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by srt8-blue

Has anydody stayed in both suites? Would like a comparison. Thanks!
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Hi there! Any recent stays here? …
Is the Equinox gym complimentary to Diamonds?
Originally Posted by Jerryf08
Anyone have any recent info in general regarding this hotel?
I’ve stayed at this hotel and managed to use DSUs several times this year, including 2 weeks and 7 weeks ago. I believe the usual upgrade with a DSU is to a Century suite, will book into Executive suite if Century suite not available. I’ve stayed in Century suites 2 or 3 times. I was put into a Penthouse suite several months ago when I had reserved a room and successfully applied a DSU many months prior and the hotel ended up having a big event with all suites booked by the group during my stay. I was booked into an Executive suite 2 weeks ago and after checking into and seeing it, I was able to successfully request a Century suite instead. Century suite is by far my favorite.

Century suites are all at the end on the hallways facing west (back/pool area), Executive suites and Penthouse suites are on the top floor. All 3 have completely separate bedrooms and living rooms. Bedrooms about the same size for all 3, Executive suite living room is a little larger than Century suite, Penthouse suite living room is much larger, all have sleep sofas. Century and Penthouse suites have an extra half bathroom near the entrance, Executive suite does not. Century suite has a bathtub and a large stall shower in the main bathroom, the other suites just have a bathtub. Century and Executive suites have a small mini-bar fridge with the top shelf, just high enough for a can of soda, empty and allowed for personal use. Executive suite has more closet space, all have minimal dresser space. Penthouse has a mini kitchen area with an empty full sized fridge and stove. I prefer the Century based on the extra half bathroom and the stall shower in addition to the bathtub.

It’s been a couple of years since I stayed in a regular room at the hotel, I did make a point to look into some of them (when housekeeping had the doors open) during my last stay. Medium sized by hotel standards, I believe they do have a large easy chair, cannot recall bathroom size at all. I believe all rooms have a lanai; suites have 2, one for the bedroom, one for the living room. West view is nicer than east, east view is mainly office buildings.

Excellent customer service. I’ve checked in as early as 11:00am and no problems with late check-outs (as a Diamond). Housekeeping will call at about noontime if the Privacy tag is on the door to ask if you want service. One restaurant, not the greatest. One bar, never visited, loud at night. A Starbucks and a Hertz Car Rental desk. Nice pool area. No gym but access to Equinox gym/spa with an entrance from the hotel pool area, $25 per visit, comped for Gold Passport Diamonds. Expensive parking with few other options in the area. Large mall with grocery store and several restaurants 2 minute walk from the hotel.

Regency Club on lobby level, per website complimentary with stay in any suite, always open as advertised, with 1 or 2 attendants during service hours. Serves “continental” breakfast which includes fresh cut cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapple, scrambled eggs, potatoes, smoked salmon, all sorts of breads, pastries, yogurt and beverages. Afternoon cookies (love the chocolate chip, much better than the gluten-free-chocolate-chunk-pecan). Evening hors d'oeuvres, which can often substitute for dinner, along with wine and beer. All day available large canisters of peanuts, almonds, M&Ms and chocolate covered raisins. I’m not a “foodie” at all, I can easily spend 3 or 4 days here and not spend any money for meals.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:15 am

Hotel will close on Mar 1 2016. Hyatt flag removed.
Hotel will reopen in 2018 and no hotel flag has been announced.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/1...n_schedule.php
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by Colin
Hotel will close on Mar 1 2016. Hyatt flag removed.
Hotel will reopen in 2018 and no hotel flag has been announced.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/1...n_schedule.php
NOT the direction Hyatt should be heading towards in Los Angeles. Still those towers behind the hotel will ruin the view from that side.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

So sad if Hyatt loses this one
I had a love hate relationship with the property but eventually the team and the access to Equinox won me over
One can only hope that Hyatt would be trying to cement a deal for the Park Hyatt brand if its going to be a true 5 star
If this is the case and I can no longer stay there I will likely go with the new Waldorf Astoria if it ever opens opposite the Beverly Hilton
The InterContinental (former Park Hyatt LA)where I sometimes stay and the new InterContinental Downtown (yet to be opened)which should be a beauty of a property
Andaz West Hollywood just doesn't cut it for me as much as I like some of the other Andaz properties.
Though to be fair perhaps its worth revisiting and seeing if its improved as its been years since I was last there
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:03 pm

Wow. I have a stay here early January as a Diamond. Will be nice to experience it before it goes.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:05 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hello Flyertalkers!

As you may have heard, effective March 1, 2016, the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza will close its doors. We have sincerely enjoyed flying the Hyatt Regency flag over the esteemed Century Plaza hotel for the past 10 years. Through the transition, we remain focused on the well-being of our hotel associates. We are dedicated to ensuring that our associates are provided with support and guidance and we will work with other Hyatt-branded hotels, the unions, and the local community to identify potential employment opportunities for them.

Safe travels!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
This would be a perfect Park Hyatt. Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:06 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

http://hotelexecutive.com/newswire/5...-in-march-2016
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Does Hyatt not even really care about the L.A. market? Seems like a very big, important city to have one Andaz which isn't even anywhere near downtown. When I was there in April, I was reduced (shudder) to staying at the Omni!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Does Hyatt not even really care about the L.A. market? Seems like a very big, important city to have one Andaz which isn't even anywhere near downtown. When I was there in April, I was reduced (shudder) to staying at the Omni!
Guess not. They are like their Chicago-based peer United in that regard (while UA has cut LAX significantly it is still officially a "hub").

To me this is the crux of the issue with Hyatt that they have a few gem properties (Andaz, PH, certain GH & HR) but their overall geographic breadth falls short and many of their properties are dull. Good luck finding a Hyatt property in Israel or Spain, for example. You can't be all things to all people, I fully recognize and appreciate, but for Hyatt to be completely absent from the two business districts in the second largest MSA is pretty weak.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
The latest is that Hyatt is opening Hyatt Places both near Hollywood/Vine and also in Pasadena. Definitely good news for coverage.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
The latest is that Hyatt is opening Hyatt Places both near Hollywood/Vine and also in Pasadena. Definitely good news for coverage.
What Hyatt will be lacking is a property in a location considered "Central" by Los Angeles standards, which the Century Plaza is.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Sad to see it go

Hyatt Regency Century Plaza

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

2025 Avenue Of The Stars Los Angeles, CA US 90067

Sad to see it go (0 Photo)

I spent Christmas eve here on Cash and points.

Check in was friendy, I used a upgrade cert and was upgraded to an executive suite with a "city view"- note: I should have asked for a "pool view"- on the Penthouse floor. Nice suite-some of the furniture needs some work but overall in good condition. I am much more comfertable with nice traditional furnishing than the more modern(and frankly whacky)furnishing at the Andaz WeHo.

I spent some time in the lobby bar listening to the live piano music, such a nice touch. I also visited the Regency Club a few times, Nice staff,very good offerings t both cocktail hour and at breakfast, Bar is on the honor system and the selections were high-middle shelf, nice espresso machine, The lounge itself is pretty small but it was not crowded,

Only glitch-no coffee makers in the room and it took 40 minutes for one to be delivered.

No problems with checkout.

Although it is not world class I am very sad to see Hyatt's Los Angeles small footprint in Los Angeles get even smaller as this property is scheduled to close on 3/1/2016

Sad to see it go

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.