Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

777 F seat maps supposed to be accurate for flights 11/1 and beyond...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/New...2005.jhtml#777

777 Aircraft First Class Seat Map Enhancement
August 24, 2005

American Airlines operates two different First Class cabin layouts aboard our 777 Flagship fleet - the 16-seat Flagship Suite and the larger 18-seat configuration with lie-flat seats. In either layout, our customers can expect superior First Class service while on board. And both products deliver the ample room and comfort our customers expect for working, relaxing or sleeping.

As we continue to simplify our operations, we have been scheduling both aircraft configurations in all markets, which means that our customers may encounter either configuration as part of the outstanding First Class International Flagship Service offered by American Airlines. As a result, our customers may have had last minute seat assignment changes that we recognize can be disconcerting to the traveler.

More importantly, we understand that many of our customers prefer the industry-first swivel seats that are featured as part of our Flagship Suite First Class product. That makes our recent announcement of the planned conversion to an all-Flagship-Suite product on our entire 777 fleet even more exciting.

In the meantime, we are taking steps to ensure that our customers will be more comfortable by adjusting our seat maps to accurately reflect the specific First Class cabin they'll encounter aboard their flight. Beginning with flights that operate on November 1, 2005, the seat maps for 777 flights going forward will show the configuration for either the Flagship Suite (1-2-1 across) or the lie-flat international First Class seat (2-2-2 across) of the aircraft we intend to operate on that flight. These seat maps are now available for display in your GDS.

Please see the 777 Aircraft First Class Cabin Configuration http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Tra...rstclass.jhtml section for complete details.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Excellent news. No more crapshoot.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:19 pm

Notice intend -not commited - as long as AA has mixed seating there will still be times when aircraft get swapped. Mayne not as often as now.

Beginning with flights that operate on November 1, 2005, the seat maps for 777 flights going forward will show the configuration for either the Flagship Suite (1-2-1 across) or the lie-flat international First Class seat (2-2-2 across) of the aircraft we intend to operate on that flight. These seat maps are now available for display in your GDS.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Wow, I never realized that providing accurate seatmaps would be considered an enhancement worthy of such an effusive, self-congratulatory announcement. But clearly I was wrong.

Of course, I still think the best AA announcement was using the headline "new food service" when they got rid of free meals in Y.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
zman, we heard rumors of this change before, didn't we?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456843
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justageek
Wow, I never realized that providing accurate seatmaps would be considered an enhancement worthy of such an effusive, self-congratulatory announcement. But clearly I was wrong.
Are you kidding? Judging from the amount of b1tching on these boards over the suites vs. coffins and seat map issues, AA clearly knows why we fly and wants to make sure that we get the message!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by landspeed
http://www.aa.com/content/agency/New...2005.jhtml#777

... And both products deliver the ample room and comfort our customers expect for working, relaxing or sleeping.
I don't see how anyone can make that claim for the coffins. There isn't anywhere to put your laptop except the tray table, which means you can't have it out when eating, and you have to disassemble and stow everything to get up. Also, you're very close to your neighbor, which IMHO makes sleeping hard.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by zman
Notice intend -not commited - as long as AA has mixed seating there will still be times when aircraft get swapped. Mayne not as often as now.

Beginning with flights that operate on November 1, 2005, the seat maps for 777 flights going forward will show the configuration for either the Flagship Suite (1-2-1 across) or the lie-flat international First Class seat (2-2-2 across) of the aircraft we intend to operate on that flight. These seat maps are now available for display in your GDS.
This was always the case for years even when they had different maps for coffins and suites based on the flight/date.. They also used to say that the FS was always for transatlantic service and how many times did we fly JFK-LHR and end up in a coffin?

"Intend" is just the lawyers' word for "don't blame us if you don't get a suite".
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Yup...Noticed this as well...

At least for my ORD-NRT, NRT-SJC, and ORD-NGO reservations, the ORD flights all show a suite configuration, but the SJC shows coffin configuration.....

I'd thought it's weird to deploy suites on ORD-NGO, as this route has got to be the LEAST profitable in the premium cabins.....of the two trips I took, both J and F passengers can all be accommodated in the F cabin.....I think AA should just start "consolidating" J/F cabins on ORD-NGO, so that they can just "close off" the J cabin to save labor and catering costs.......
Old Aug 31, 2005, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkc22
Yup...Noticed this as well...

At least for my ORD-NRT, NRT-SJC, and ORD-NGO reservations, the ORD flights all show a suite configuration, but the SJC shows coffin configuration.....

I'd thought it's weird to deploy suites on ORD-NGO, as this route has got to be the LEAST profitable in the premium cabins.....of the two trips I took, both J and F passengers can all be accommodated in the F cabin.....I think AA should just start "consolidating" J/F cabins on ORD-NGO, so that they can just "close off" the J cabin to save labor and catering costs.......
Would a 763 have the range?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Would a 763 have the range?
It's pushing it. ORD-NGO is 5593nm (direct); max range with full pax on the 763 is 5600nm. I am not sure what kind fo payload restrictions are necessary to give it fuel for alternates, routings for weather, etc.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:18 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
How about adding : "If we at AA fail to provide the promised Flagship Suite either a Voucher for $500 or 50,000 AAdvantage miles will be offered"

If they are confident of few changes then the cost would be minimal and the GoodWill Massive, however if its just PR SpeAAk then !!!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Please lend some opinion?

I was reading about the 777 seating. I've seen photos of both types of First Class.

I can't understand why some of you affectionately call them "coffins", the lie down seats I mean.

Seems like both 777 types have great first class cabins, be it the ofice cubicle looking type or the coffins.

But having said that, I would like ot hear from you expereinced travelers what are the real differences pushing you to like one more than the other?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by the phoenix
I was reading about the 777 seating. I've seen photos of both types of First Class.

I can't understand why some of you affectionately call them "coffins", the lie down seats I mean.

Seems like both 777 types have great first class cabins, be it the ofice cubicle looking type or the coffins.

But having said that, I would like ot hear from you expereinced travelers what are the real differences pushing you to like one more than the other?
Maybe its the black trim around the "coffins" or the greyish pattern of the wall lining the interior, but when you see someone laying flat with a blanket over them inside one of them it just looks like a dead body in a coffin.

The F/S has a seat that rotates into three different positions. Straight ahead for take off and landing (or inflight if you want), then it can be rotated about 30 degrees to the side (towards the window for the A and J seats or inward towards each other for the two middle seats). This gives the maximum leg room and it is the position to "lie flat". It is also the position that gives the option of having someone sit across from you and share the dinner table (not possible with the coffin IIRC) and for viewing the video screen. This is the position you will most probably use most of the flight. The third position rotates a full 90 degrees from the aisle. Here there is another table that flips out to form a very usable working service with a work light and power port immediately to the side. Your back is to the aisle so you can work without being otherwise distracted by the aisle traffic.

If you are just concerned about sleeping flat, either one will do IMO. But on a 13 hour flight you want some variations, some change of scenery if you will. The F/S gives you these options.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:29 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Suites....

I've been batting 100% Suites these days........

My ORD-NGO flight last week was a Suite 777, with 3 passengers (including rest pilot) in F, and 7 in J! Very dismal premium loads, if you will agree with me. AA seems to consistently use Suite 777 on this route, however.

My NRT-SJC flight this week was a Suite 777 too, with 4 passengers (including rest pilot) in F, and 16 in J.......the usual load...

Hopefully loads will go up with time for at least these two Japan routes. On another note, I heard from the Purser on the NGO flight that AA just secured a contract with Toyota on the NGO route, so hopefully premium loads will start looking better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.