Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '05 Audi A8L

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '05 Audi A8L

Flew back home through SJC last week, and found a Solara sitting in my stall. Nice car, but I needed something with four doors. While the agent was looking for the keys for an Accord, I asked about the A8L sitting out front, and how I'd wanted to try it out. Some quick negotiation, and I was out the door for a $25/day upgrade fee over my C reservation.

http://www.audiusa.com/model_home/0,...ystyle=a8sedan

From looking at the website, my Platinum Beige model was equipped to the tune of $74,270 -- with the Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package and Sirius satellite radio.

And here's a crappy cell phone pic...

Power: With 335 hp on tap, this car obviously has little problem getting to speed -- and the 4.2L emits a nice muscular sound while still maintaining a level of refinement expected in this class. Audi's famous Quattro AWD system provides effortless traction. The six-speed automatic is well-matched to the engine, and shifts are almost imperceptible -- though with an engine and car of this size, I never found the need to use the Tiptronic feature. Fuel economy is also somewhat respectable, at an EPA-estimated 18/24 mpg city/highway.

Ride/Handling: The A8's autobahn roots shine in terms of ride and handling -- even at higher speeds, the car remains stable and composed, with the ride being firm but not overly harsh. That same solidity translates to a heavier feel in handling though, with the car's 4000+ lb. curb weight making itself known in the twisties when pushed -- especially when compared to my personal favorite in the handling department, the Jaguar XJ8. Still, with the adjustable air suspension, the A8 strikes a favorable balance between sportiness and comfort, and when combined with precise steering and powerful fade-resistant brakes, the big Audi definitely is no rolling sofa.

Interior: Along with the elegant exterior, the insides of the A8 are also a work of art. Quality is class-leading, with soft-touch plastics complementing the rich wood and high-quality leather. As would be expected of the extended-wheelbase model, space is cavernous, with plenty of room for everyone, even in the rear. Passengers in the back are also treated to their own set of climate control vents, heated seats and illuminated vanity mirrors, along with a power rear sunshade and side window shades. Trunk space is also inline with a car of this size, and the power open/close function makes loading cargo easier.

Features: A complete list of standard features on this car would be a mile long, but suffice to say that the car is definitely well-equipped. The main feature on the A8 is the Multi Media Interface (MMI), which controls all of the car's main functions, such as climate control, stereo, in-car phone and navigation (my model was equipped with the factory navigation). While noticeably easier to use compared to BMW's i-Drive and Mercedes' COMAND, MMI was still somewhat more complex than the simpler controls found in the XJ8 and the Lexus LS430. The navigation system in particular is complicated in its functionality. To Audi's credit, ergonomics were intuitive, and basic functions for stereo and climate control did not require use of the multi-function knob. Bi-xenon headlights, 16-way power seats (supportive and easy to get comfortable in), "hands-free" keyless entry, a Bose 12-speaker stereo system and Bluetooth compatability are other notable features.

Value: My corporate rate puts the A8L at just above $100/day at "regular" rates -- while on the pricey side, the Audi is competitive with the similarly-priced XJ8, and IMO, more desirable than some of the high-end SUVs that Hertz charges more for.

To sum it up:

The Good
Beautifully styled, inside and out
Gadgets galore
Autobahn-worthy performance

The Bad
Sometimes feels like it could lose a few pounds
Complicated controls

The Ugly
I can't afford one
Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:20 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
^ ^ ^

You really saw A8s at ORD?

I can't seem to reserve them online. And that's interesting it had the factory navigation system installed...usually Hertz cuts them off.

I need to take a west coast trip to experience the Prestige vehicles over there!
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I'm not 100% sure, but I recall seeing one on the lot -- it might have been a drop-off from another location though. The Audi nav was somewhat confusing, especially when combined with MMI -- for once, I would have actually preferred NeverLost...

LAX probably has the best list of Prestige vehicles I've seen... ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.