Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Louis City Center Sheraton [Master Thread]

Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

I am going there and wanted to know what to look out for. Is there still contruction going on at the hotel? I know to request a room not by the freeway exit side. Anything else I should be aware of. I am booking one of their suite rooms, so hopefully they will be nice.

Any good restaurants nearby?

thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 6:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
Was there last week. Some major plumbing work progressing on the club level. The work was done at 5 pm when we showed up and restarted about 0900. Did a poor job of cleaning up, but not a huge inconvenience. External was not too bad, although there is some work across the street. We were on the suite level and it was very comfortable. We were not disturbed by noise.

The hotel is sort of by itself without too much in easy access. We asked about restaurants in the area and the desk suggested taking the trolley to Union Station. Instead, we ate in the sports bar at the hotel and had a good meal.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 6:28 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
I stayed there in May and had a very nice experience. I think the Westin would be a better location though.

Flyfarfar
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:22 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I haven't stayed there, since I live in STL (okay, perhaps a matress run is in order). I have been to functions there, 'tho, so I can tell you that:

I think if you snag a room on the east side of the building you'll have a decent view of downtown (check with front desk which room, floor, etc. On the south side of the building gets you a view of, uh, the freeway either right out your window or below you)

The restaurants of Union Station are within walking distance (altho' most of these are national chain places).

The hotel is across the street from a Metrolink station, putting you within a very short ride to all of downtown, the many cafe's of the Central West End, and the international offerings of the U-City Loop, and walking distance to the currently revitalizing Loft/club district of Washington Avenue.

You're a very short taxi ride to the best Italian food on the planet, in a St. Louis neighborhood called "The Hill." Personal favorite: Cunnettos. You're also a short taxi ride from the Irish pubs and cajun offerings of Soulard (the Gumbos and jambalyas of Norton's Cafe, for example, John D. McGurks--personal Irish pub favorite, for example). You're also a very short taxi ride to the best desert place on the planet, "Ted Drewes". (plenty of info on these in other threads, and if the hotel concierge knows his town, he'll be able to easily point you to these).

Last edited by skye1; Aug 30, 2005 at 9:24 pm
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:33 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Sheraton St. Louis City Center Trip Report

Stayed here last night, 7/30/2007, on a $67 hotwire rate (82.xx after taxes & fees). Test driving for a potential romantic weekend with the girlfriend this weekend- after this test drive, however, I decided to change my reservation to the Westin St. Louis.

Checked in about 10 pm, presented my Platinum card (not expecting anything), and the woman was exceptionally nice, thanked me for my loyalty, chatted a bit about the area, wondered why I was only in for a few hours, etc. Got checked in, took only a few minutes, since no one else was around.

Was in room 686, a King standard room (no upgrade, understandable due to Hotwire), located facing the interior atrium of the hotel, on the 6th floor.

Good:
- Room was huge, had a large open area and plenty of space to move around, as well as a sofa.
- Friendly staff, willing to help both at checkin and checkout
- Always comfortable bed (well, at least part of it)
- Minibar selections were very reasonably priced (large bottle of tea was only $3.)
- Person in the morning comped my parking as an apology for the no pillows to sleep on (see below)
- The price

Bad:
- No foam pillows in room (allergic to feathers). Called and asked for some, they didn't have any. The hotel certainly didn't seem that busy. Had to sleep the entire night with a pillow from the sofa.
- Toilet was busted and ran all night long. No problem, I just shut the bathroom door and didn't hear it.
- No booze or soda in the minibar? Weird. Just 1 tea and 2 red bulls.
- The open windows to the atrium led to some weird guy looking into my room from the hallway until I shut the curtains. Definitely not a good choice for a romantic weekend.

All in all, I wouldn't stay there again, even for the low price. I'd probably pick one of the other many hotels downtown on a similar hotwire price.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:38 am

I had stayed there last week and I think the place is simply a dump. The food in the club lounge was disgusting and the veggies on offer, were more than a few days past their prime. The lounge itself was dirty with food bits and curd everywhere. To top it off, there were two mouse traps on display in my room.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Gold, WN A-List, Hertz 5*
Well, this is reassuring. I just switched my res for this weekend from the Sheraton to the Westin. I'm glad I read this AFTER making the switch, and not before, while there was still nothing "Standard" available at the Westin!
Old Aug 7, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Got back from the Westin over the weekend, couldn't be more happy with the hotel.

- Got upgraded to a VERY large suite, 1.5 bath, separate bedroom, etc.
- Arranged for chocolate covered strawberries to be in the room upon checkin- they were there and nicely arranged with some pecans.
- Lounge was ++++++++. Drinks, food, everything was great. Arnold, the concierge in the lounge, made my girlfriend an appletini and made some other drinks for other folks - using liquor that wasn't on the table. He was very pleased to hear that people were talking well of him on Flyertalk.

I'd recommend the Westin heartily over the Sheraton any day.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
There are a few threads on the Westin St. Louis. I think it's the BEST SPG in STL, personally.

FYI, it's been on the "Starpicks" list a lot this summer, and has had some decent promotional rates going as well.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I just thought I would add a more recent update to this thread.

We stayed here last week for one night on points. We arrived quite late in the evening after flying in from the UK, so just wanted a room to sleep in. Check-in was quick, friendly and efficient with details of our Platinum benefits given, along with a letter to tell us about the Club Lounge opening hours. Platinum amenity was offered without prompting.

No upgrade, but the room we were given was pretty large and nice and quiet. The room was dated, but clean with a separate sitting area with sofa bed and an old tube TV. Bathroom was small, but with a separate area with two sinks and mirrors. Bathroom was again dated, but clean.

We had access to the club lounge and this did a decent breakfast with a mixture of some hot food, bagels, pastries, yoghurts etc. Not a bad spread to start the day with.

On the morning of check out we went downtown to do a tour around Busch Stadium and then picked up a rental car from The Westin. We had no problem parking this in the hotel drop off area for 10 minutes whilst we went to pick up our bags and check-out.

Overall, we had a fine stay here. Whilst the hotel isn't anywhere near as nice as the Westin, the service was vastly superior from our experiences.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by RAPC
I just thought I would add a more recent update to this thread.

We stayed here last week for one night on points. We arrived quite late in the evening after flying in from the UK, so just wanted a room to sleep in. Check-in was quick, friendly and efficient with details of our Platinum benefits given, along with a letter to tell us about the Club Lounge opening hours. Platinum amenity was offered without prompting.

No upgrade, but the room we were given was pretty large and nice and quiet. The room was dated, but clean with a separate sitting area with sofa bed and an old tube TV. Bathroom was small, but with a separate area with two sinks and mirrors. Bathroom was again dated, but clean.

We had access to the club lounge and this did a decent breakfast with a mixture of some hot food, bagels, pastries, yoghurts etc. Not a bad spread to start the day with.

On the morning of check out we went downtown to do a tour around Busch Stadium and then picked up a rental car from The Westin. We had no problem parking this in the hotel drop off area for 10 minutes whilst we went to pick up our bags and check-out.

Overall, we had a fine stay here. Whilst the hotel isn't anywhere near as nice as the Westin, the service was vastly superior from our experiences.
Thanks for the update. I just made a reservation for next week here. IIRC its right across the street from the metrolink?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by chanp
Thanks for the update. I just made a reservation for next week here. IIRC its right across the street from the metrolink?
Yes it is. 90 seconds walk and you are there. ^
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Disgusting

Another FT'er used that word and my first reaction was ghetto, but disgusting and sloppy would be the words ID use to sum the place up. Never again.

Had to go back to desk after walking into a dark, carpet stained, tube tv, circa 1977 decor atrium room. Somehow in the time I had gone up and down to that room a suite had "just become available" that suite wasn't much better: living room couch sank and there were no windows. Only window was in the bedroom.

Also:
No wifi in the guest rooms, only Ethernet
Lounge closed, given cert for bar, which was out of everything the coupon was good for. Yet others were eating. Not offered any alternative. Strange.
Sloppy housekeeping: no soap whatsoever, someones dry cleaner hangers were in the closet
No safe
Gym equipment was circa 1984
Club lounge was open 24/7 with a fridge to grab water and juice ^
Metro right across the street ^
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Another FT'er used that word and my first reaction was ghetto, but disgusting and sloppy would be the words ID use to sum the place up. Never again.

Had to go back to desk after walking into a dark, carpet stained, tube tv, circa 1977 decor atrium room. Somehow in the time I had gone up and down to that room a suite had "just become available" that suite wasn't much better: living room couch sank and there were no windows. Only window was in the bedroom.

Also:
No wifi in the guest rooms, only Ethernet
Lounge closed, given cert for bar, which was out of everything the coupon was good for. Yet others were eating. Not offered any alternative. Strange.
Sloppy housekeeping: no soap whatsoever, someones dry cleaner hangers were in the closet
No safe
Gym equipment was circa 1984
Club lounge was open 24/7 with a fridge to grab water and juice ^
Metro right across the street ^
Totally agree - this hotel is terrible. I stayed here last week and it's really a disservice to the Sheraton brand.

1. I've never seen cardio equipment this old in a gym
2. Linens are old and beat up; when the chain switched to longer pillows the hotel didn't adjust linens. Consequently about 30% of each pillow falls out of the pillow case ... nice and clean!
3. Rooms are extremely dark and dreary
4. I had the pleasure of staying in a room on the highway side - extremely loud road noise and the windows would start shaking/vibrating

All told this hotel is awful. I had booked a few weeks here while the Westin was sold out; I've since cancelled those stays and am at the Hyatt this week.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: All of the Above
I recently stayed here for a conference at another hotel. So I was only in and out. Overall, nothing spectacular. Had a Club room with ample space, club lounge was ok. Nothing special. Very convenient to the Metrolink from the airport (it's only like $3). The people were nice, and we had 1 issue, which was quickly resolved and we were compensated adequately.

Overall, nice convenient location to the Metrolink and the arena, fair price, not terrible, not unbelievable. I'd go back though for the price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.