Wiki Posts
Search

Ride report - Pontiac G6

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Ride report - Pontiac G6

Had my first experience with this one earlier this week at SFO.

Have to say I was impressed overall, finally a domestic car I could think of owning.

All the bells and dodads were there from GM, including integrated XM radio which worked better than any of the add on systems Hertz usually installs.

Fit and finish was good, inside was very tasteful. Seats were off white leather (or was it leatherette) with contrasting brown at the edges. Very attractive. Switchgear was very precise for the most part. One thing which stands out in my mind was the fan selector which was variable speed (rather than the usual lo / med / high). AC was very powerful and appreciated as temps were in the high 90's.

Interior space both front and rear was good.

My only nit is the Pontiac red instrument lighting. What a forceful reminder that they didn't design this car for me - but for someone 20 years younger.

Power was good, this particular car had a V6. I'm not sure if that's standard or not.

Trunk space was only okay. Fine for me - those with a family might disagree.

Most recent rental was a Camary which I loved. The G6 faired well by comparison. Sure if they were equal in price I'd buy the Toyota, but a good deal could make me happy with the G6 for years to come.

Good job GM.

Lihu'e 1k
Old Sep 3, 2005, 9:07 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
Lihu'e 1k,
What car class did you book and which class was the car?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old Sep 3, 2005, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rgeer
Lihu'e 1k,
What car class did you book and which class was the car?

Thanks,
Ryan

Reserved - Compact (Ford Focus or eq).

Received - Pontiac G6 which was classed B.

Lihu'e 1k
Old Sep 4, 2005, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Thanks for the review. ^

I also had one a few weeks ago, albeit a loaded GTP model, which was classed as YC. The red lighting didn't bother me so much, but the design overall was slightly busy IMO, which hampered some ergonomics.

Here's a mini-review I wrote on one of my automotive enthusiast forums:

I had one as a rental last week (yes, a GTP -- and at Hertz no less! ) -- I thought it was quite capable overall.

The engine is wonderful -- lots of power on tap and a very nice growl to it. It feels more like the 3800 than the HV 3.5L, which is a plus in my book. Traction control was not very intrusive either, which could be good or bad, depending on if you like more control, even if it's accompanied with torque-steer galore. Interior is also light years ahead of the Grand Am, and even recent products like the current Grand Prix.

Only things I didn't like were some of the interior bits and the handling/steering feel -- as someone else mentioned, it feels a bit nose-heavy in the twisties (even moreso than its other FWD rivals), and the steering, while much better than the electric units in the base models, still is a bit twitchy.

While the Mazda 6 V6 is still my favorite, I'd say it's pretty comparable to the Altima 3.5SE (both of which I've also "experienced" through Hertz, oddly enough ).
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
So, the Hertz G6 is the GTP model?

And even that model is still the B class?

I would love to try out some of this cars but no matter what I always get a Taurus or a Crown Vic. I cant seem to find out what class to reserve to try out one of these nice cars.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
The GTP I had was under class YC, but I've seen "base" G6s at Hertz before as well...
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:28 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Weird. With all the creep in the size of the cars (what was once mid size is now full size, etc.) I'm surprised the G6 would ever be classed as a compact (B), even the base model. I wouldn't think it would be smaller or even particularly less desirable than the Mazda 6.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:45 pm

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
I had a similar experience to the OP.

I just rented a car at ONT (midsize, Chevy Classic or Toyota Corolla) for the weekend. I'm a 5*, but that usually doesn't do me any good in the US.

I went to my spot and there sat a brand new (2000 miles) Pontiac G6 GTP. Leather, XM radio, 3.9L high performance engine, monsoon stereo, 18" rims, etc. A nice looking ride.

Drove the car for 5 days, and was pleased with it's performance and overall "feel". I can't stand GM cars, and this was the first i've driven in ages in which I actually liked the switchgear and the fit and finish. The plastic on the dash was pure GM however (hard and LOTS of it), but the car was a pleasure to sit in.

Not a bad upgrade from a midsize. Only downside was my realized 20 mpg. I drove about 75% on the freeway, albeit at 90 .

Would I rent this car again? Sure. Would I buy it? Perhaps (that says a lot--you couldn't even get me to touch a GM in the past).

kpalle's ratings:

Power: 8/10
Exterior Look: 7/10
Interior Look: 8/10
Interior Quality: 8/10
Handling: 7/10
Fuel consumption: 5/10
Comfort: 8/10
Road Noise: 9/10
Ability to cool the car down quickly when it's 95 outside: 6/10

Overall: 7.33/10

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.