Sleeping in the airport -- the ultimate budget "hotel"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:30 am
JS
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Sleeping in the airport -- the ultimate budget "hotel"

Before I collected a large number of Choice Hotel points, I have slept in the airport just to avoid paying for a hotel room where I just needed a place to sleep for the night. Can't beat a "rate" of zero!

I've slept in ONT (twice), and once in SAN, LAS, PIT and BWI. Except for LAS, I slept in baggage claim each time. If I ever get stuck overnight in ATL, hopefully it will be on the inside, because there are some new seats in the airport that don't have armrests (finally! armrests make seats unusable for sleeping).

The latest was the BWI overnight, and not only did I have enough hotel points, but it was actually a business trip and would not have been a problem at all to expense a hotel room. Unfortunately, every hotel with a shuttle was sold out, and after 30 minutes of waiting for a rental car bus, I declared it to be a lost cause to find a place to sleep for the remaining four hours before check-in, and slept in the airport. Luckily I had plenty of practice and slept like a baby. I set my watch alarm clock for 4:30 AM, and I actually needed it or I would have overslept.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: UA; DL;
While not an airport I got stuck staying over night in a train station somewhere in Britain before. Luckily I was also with my bf at the time as it was a pretty shady experience.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 12:07 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
I love this forum! Finally a place for us FT people to toss our sandals on and slum out

I spent a night in London Heathrow. I got stuck on an overnight layover, was at the end of a 3 month budget trip, and I didn't feel like riding into the city and spending money on lodging. I found this children's area that had a demi-wall, and it was closed off to the public. It was nothing but this soft 2" mattress like floor with soft toys everywhere. It's hard to describe but trust me, it was secluded and comfortable. I threw my backpack down next to me, and got 6 solid hours of sleep. More comfortable than some hostels I've slept at.

Check out this website:

http://www.sleepinginairports.com/
Old Sep 3, 2005, 1:57 pm

Here is a link to one of the recent sleeping airports thread with more links within it. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464098

I have not overnighted in airports recently, but have found empty gates for naps at LHR when I have a long layover. They have a decorative rail that runs along the walls in many places. It is great to strap your backpack to while sleeping.

Last edited by mcrt; Sep 3, 2005 at 10:19 pm Reason: Forgot the link
Old Sep 3, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
closest I ever got to sleeping in an airport was at ICN. Had a flight that landed from HKG at like 3 am and they told me to go to the transit hotel.. so I walk up there to the transit lounge and there's like 10 people sleeping.. so I just slid my pack under the couch that someone previously was occupying and fell asleep right there.

Slept till about 7am.. fair amount given that the airport really gets alive at 6am.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Please don't forget trains. If you are going to spend a month or so in Europe travelling from city to city get a Eurailpass and take l o n g trips between cities -- giving you a freebie night on the train.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by JS
Before I collected a large number of Choice Hotel points, I have slept in the airport just to avoid paying for a hotel room where I just needed a place to sleep for the night. Can't beat a "rate" of zero!
There are definitely times when aquiring a hotel room for the night, let's say you have a very early flight or let's say you're doing a MRun, is almost a waste of money given the very few hours you will spend on the room (and there are many times when I feel ripped off, and stupid , checking-out at 5 in the morning after checking-in just a few hours prior). Considering to sleep in the airport can indeed be a smart option, but how do you guys ensure your valuables will still be around when you wake up? I always worry that choosing to spend the night at the airport could turn out to be more spendy after realizing my laptop and other stuff have disappeared!
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by jef7
There are definitely times when aquiring a hotel room for the night, let's say you have a very early flight or let's say you're doing a MRun, is almost a waste of money given the very few hours you will spend on the room (and there are many times when I feel ripped off, and stupid , checking-out at 5 in the morning after checking-in just a few hours prior). Considering to sleep in the airport can indeed be a smart option, but how do you guys ensure your valuables will still be around when you wake up? I always worry that choosing to spend the night at the airport could turn out to be more spendy after realizing my laptop and other stuff have disappeared!
Post-security it's usually really safe with just the occasional people such as cleaning crews and airline employees walking around.

before security.. that's iffy but loop your hand around your carryon and if people pull on it.. well.. the alarm went off....
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:46 pm
JS
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
In baggage claim, I lay almost underneath a row of chairs with my stuff under the chairs. I'm assuming no thief is that desperate, and like civicmon said, fiddling with my stuff sets off my "alarm".
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:03 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
I had the unfortunate circumstance to miss a 1AM connection from UA to US last summer in LAS. As hotels were going to over $200 on a Friday night for a 6 hour stay, the US folks told me about the children's play area in Terminal D which worked out well. It had a nice carpeted floor and benches on the sides that you could set your stuff on or under beside you. A bonus was that there was no speakers for the PA in there, so you didn't get the musack that was playing piped in.

They also brought me down some pillows and blankies from the last flight in and it all worked out until I could get up and b!tch at the UA folks for not doing their jobs.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:29 am

Programs: delta diamond
Singapore airport is also a great airport to sleep in. It has leather chaise lounges with timers you can set to wake up in, say, 4 hours. It also has a 24 hour food court and free 2 hour city tours for transit passengers.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:19 am

Does sleeping in a lounge count?

But there was this one long layover in DXB, and I didn't sleep. I sat. And stared into nothingness for some six-odd hours (this was after exploring the terminal and looking at every nook and cranny)
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by wanderlust_jules
While not an airport I got stuck staying over night in a train station somewhere in Britain before. Luckily I was also with my bf at the time as it was a pretty shady experience.
I've done that twice, both in Goteborg, Sweden. There were lots of people the first time and my wife and I took turns sleeping. It didn't feel safe, but nothing happened. I did it alone a couple years later and there wasn't anyone else there.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:21 am

Reviews of nearly all airports and their sleeping "facilities"

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/
Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RBCal
Reviews of nearly all airports and their sleeping "facilities"

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/
Thank you RBCal, I was just about to suggest this site too.
I've slept in all the London Airports (LTN, STN, LGW, LHR) as LCCs often have very early departures which would be impossible for me to make check in using public transport. Solution? Get there the night before and be first in the queue the next morning.
I also stayed in Manchester airport before getting a Biz class flight to LAS - I toyed with forking out £55 for a hotel, but I came to my senses, cancelled the room and used the cash to pay for a helicopter ride instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.