Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEAVING IN 2009: Sheraton Moorea, Tahiti [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:35 am
mlm
Original Poster

I contacted Starwood to redeem points for a 2 night pre-cruise stay in one of their Over The Water Bungalows. I was told that regardless of how many points I was willing to use, I could not book this using points. The highest level of booking with points was a "beachfront" bungalow.

My question....if anyone has experience with this hotel, what are the chances of an upgrade (assuming an Over the Water bungalow is available)? We are traveling in January which is considered low season in the islands.

I am also willing to pay extra to upgrade and have written the hotel twice to find out if this is an option but my emails have gone unanswered. I am currently a Gold Level(after being Platinum for the previous 5 years...but guess that doesn't count anymore).

Appreicate any opinions on this....Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

If it's still the same GM there, I'd say a Platinum member stands a very good chance of being upgraded to OWB if available. Of all the OWB, there are two which are like ultra-big/luxuious, otherwise, the decoration is quite similar to most other regular bungalows. But the OWB is really beautiful and definitely worth it if you are travelling as a couple. I was by myself so I didn't really mind not having one because the resort was overbooked anyway. But I do know the resort is very good at treating SPG elite members. It feels like a VIP there. You can pay extra cash to upgrade to OWB but it wouldn't be cheap. I don't think you can use points to upgrade to a OWB because I remember there isn't a rate plan for this particular resort that would allow it. But, I would suggest you call the resort directly and talk to them instead of e-mail. They are not very tech savy so phone/fax will be much better. You can make deals with them and you can even talk to the GM if you want, people there are very down to earth. Alternatively, you can always contact the French Polynesia SPG reservation loacted at Sheraton Tahiti hotel so just dial the phone number there and ask for Reservations, these people are also very helpful.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Officially, there is no distinction between two members of same elite status either that be Gold or Platinum. Some Platinum members are also complementary of their AMEX cards or Comp status as opposed to earning through stays. However, SPG's internal inquiry suggested that some hotels do look at your starpoint totals and some other criteria (maybe "member since:" ) to differentiate between members of same status. However, it's not official and varies a lot from hotel to hotel.

I am not certain how this particular resort will treat you as a Gold because I was Platinum when I stayed there. However, under normal circumstances, Gold members do not have access to the Best Available Room like the Platinums. If there is availability during your stay, it's possible the resort might give it to you as there are people who suggested so. But keep in mind that they don't have to.

The OWB, we are looking at about $400 a night so if you are going to use cash to upgrade from a garden bungalow, you may be looking to pay an extra of about $150~$200 per night. The two best OWB was around $650, the GM told me. Though, the price could be way up now with the weak $. Everything is in Pacific Francs so you need to factor in the exchange rate.

Moorea is lovely, especially the sunset from the Sheraton resort. The hotel itself might not be the best on Moorea but the location is IMO. The view is 'to-die-for'. Would I go back, I think so, great place for honeymoon.

[This message has been edited by Guava (edited 07-13-2003).]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Sheraton Moorea question

I've lately been saving up for a "big free vacation" sometime next year. At this point, I've got my eye on the Sheraton Moorea, using *points. I am Gold now, fully expect to be Platinum by end of year, so will be Platinum through next year (at least). I'll have enough points built up for probably a week, may pay more to stay a few more days...

Though a beach bungalow would be nice, the full experience seems to be with the OTW bungalows. It's my understading that there is no way to confirm these upfront using *points - and that I'd have to take the chance on a Platinum upgrade at the door. Is that accurate? If so, assuming I don't select a week when everyone else and their mother is there as well, is there usually a pretty good chance for a Platinum upgrade to an OTW bungalow? Any thoughts or prior experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, I know the Bora Bora Nui is considered better/amazing, but I just don't have the $ or the *points to accomodate a stay there. So I guess I'll just have to "settle."
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:34 am

I went to French Polynesia on my honeymoon at the end of April / beginning of May. We stayed 1 night at the Sheraton Tahiti, 4 nights at the Sheraton Moorea (beach bungalow), 5 nights at the Bora Bora Nui (overwater bungalow), and 1 night (really 6 hours waiting for a flight) at the Sheraton Tahiti -- all on points. I've been meaning to put together a full-fledged trip report, but have been extremely busy.

Anyway, with regards to your post, I reserved a room in Moorea and used extra points to upgrade to a beach bungalow. As an SPG Platinum, I had hopes of a possible upgrade to an overwater bungalow in Moorea. While there were OWBs available, I was told that I reserved a beach bungalow so that's where I would be staying. When I asked about a Platinum upgrade, they said "we don't do that here" (!)

While disappointed, I did not press the issue. I found the physical location to be great and the hotel to be very nice, although the reception staff definitely lacks training and could improve their people skills...

We had a great time regardless (yet it didn't even come close to our amazing experience in Bora Bora) and we have lots of stories to tell (but I'll have to save them for another time).

Enjoy!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:35 am

Location: Dallas, TX - AA Platinum, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5Star
In my opinion, I think your odds are rather hit-and-miss. I just returned in late June from my honeymoon, which we split between the Sheraton Moorea and BBN. We used points for the Moorea portion, and even though I communicated with the manager, etc beforehand, they wouldn't/couldn't upgrade us to an OWB in Moorea. We were normal paying stayers at the BBN, but it was worth every penny.

I suggest contacting the hotel manager and explaining your situation. He may well be able to accomodate your situation, as he is a genuinely nice guy.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:27 pm

At the time I booked (a while ago -- the points cost might have changed), I "paid" 10,000 points per night at the Sheraton Moorea for a Garden Bungalow. For an additional 1250 points per night, I upgraded to a Beach Bungalow.

IIRC, there was an option to "double upgrade" with points to an OWB, but I didn't think it was worth it and opted to try my luck getting a free Platinum upgrade in person (which obviously failed).

I would check with the SPG people by phone...
Old Aug 4, 2003, 5:34 pm

Though we were not going to go on holiday this year, we've decided that we do indeed need a break and are considering either Moorea or Bora Bora. Of those of you who have vistied and stayed that the Starwood properties at both locations, which did you prefer?

In looking a the pics on-line of the properties and the descriptions, the BBN seems to be the property to stay at over the Sheraton Moorea. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 4, 2003, 8:07 pm

Bora Bora -- no contest.

While the Moorea property is nice, the BBN is MUCH more luxurious, etc. (Upon arrival at the BBN, my wife commented that it was probably the most beautiful place she had ever been...)
Old Aug 4, 2003, 9:13 pm

Location: Dallas, TX - AA Platinum, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5Star
Agreed... Undoubtedly, BBN is one of the hotels that Starwood is utilizing as a flagship property, really going over the top. Appropriately, you pay for this luxury and accomodation, but I still sit at my desk at work and take "Bora Bora" breaks just to look at my pictures.

Moorea was very nice as well, but it simply can't compare to the BBN.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My friend just came back from honeymoon in the area there. He said if the only choice is one place in French Polynesia, then go to Moorea. It is by far the most dramatic place to stay. He said 10 days is the bare minimum you need in the area to have a grand old time and not feel like you missed out in a big way. 15 days is not overkill.

My friend's honeymoon trip report was insane (in a great way)!
Old Aug 11, 2003, 6:23 pm

I had a great week at the Moorea property and have to disagree about the attitude comment. It is more of an ineptness which comes across in a cute way...you sort of feel bad for them b/c they have such a nice hotel, but can't seem to do things outside of standard operating procedure correctly, which includes starwood and plat treatment, processing 50% off awards, etc. The concierge was pathetic, but the OTW are absolutely incredible.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 8:05 pm

Agreed. No attitude whatsoever... They are just outside the "normal" mode of operation (as witnessed by some earlier fiascos). You have to take into consideration the culture over there, where one of our guides told us that only 15% of the population works. He also mentioned that basically they stopped growing sugar cane as their main crop because it was simply too much work and pineapples are much easier. They obviously aren't obsessed with making money. There is not a lot of tipping, so they aren't worried about being obligated or beholden.

Long story short, you aren't going to a place like this because you want to get an upgrade or one-up the guy behind you in line. This is the type of place to rest and relax and chill.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
My wife and I spent 10 nights at the Sheraton Moorea in June of this year. We had the chance to stay in both a garden bungalow and an over the water bungalow #77. First and foremost, any of the bungalows are top notch and while the over water bungalows are nice they are not worth the extra money IMHO. We were upgraded after four nights to an owb when space became available (Julie at the front desk is the best to work with if you’re a Platinum SPG member).

The property in general is great but was not my cup of tea. Nice beach, wonderful snorkeling (saw two black tip reef sharks and five eels), very relaxed atmosphere and wonderful grounds. You do need to understand, however, that this resort is in the middle of nowhere. The closet off site restaurant is a good ľ of a kilometer away. My wife and I had no intention of spending $50 to $100 per meal (for the two of us) at the resort and had planned to buy food at local groceries—it didn’t work out so well, as the closet market (if it could be called that) was over a kilometer away--my wife and I got tired hiking back and forth every few days. There is no public transportation that is easily accessed; taxis are crazy expensive as are car rentals (we got the Punto for $85/day - I think it was a lawnmower with doors).

Also, beware of the “activities” coordinator. After belittling me for not “planning ahead” for snorkeling activity I wanted to do the next day, she chewed up and spit out two Australian couples who wanted to know where the closest grocery was and how to get there (they did complicate the matter by asking if it was the best grocery). They then spent the next thirty minutes getting the “you must plan ahead” talk.

Again, if you are up for a beautiful resort, beautiful location, great swimming/snorkeling, then Moorea is the perfect place. Expect to be trapped at the resort and to spend a handsome amount of money on food and activities (stay away from the buffets!) a couple sitting next to us said they had had better food at McDonalds (not that McDonalds is bad) but you expect more for $80/pp.

However, if you are looking for a combination of wonderful people, food and culture, Thailand or Bali would be my picks. The Sheraton Moorea and even the much ballyhooed, Bora Bora Nui, don’t hold a candle to the luxury properties in SE Asia, especially the Rayavadee in Thailand.

[This message has been edited by SLC2002 (edited 08-18-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2004, 1:25 pm

Sheraton Moorea or someplace else oceanside?

We are looking to use some points for a nice little vacation...just my husband and I. Am told I won't get a overwater bungalow at Sheraton Moorea under any circumstances...so I'm curious about the beachfront bungalows....was so looking forward to just stepping off my deck to snorkel with those overwater bungalows....We are SPG Gold....any chance of getting upgraded into one? Is there a time where upgrades are more likely than others? Anyway, we would like the advice of someone who is familiar with Sheraton Moorea or someone who can recommend someplace Hawaiian, Caribbean or even seaside/oceanside like Greece maybe....we eloped when we got married and our daughter is just finally turning 7 and is old enough to fend for herself for a few days (ok, we'll spring for a babysitter). We are looking for someplace warm, lovely, exotic....want to come back having eaten some good food, soaked in some sunshine, enjoyed the ocean and had sex in peace for once. Oh. Category 4/10,000 pt. a night is about all we can "afford" unless you think it's worth - what is category 5? 12,000 pt.....maybe a category5.....unless I discover I have a dying relative who wants to donate some points that I don't know about yet.

Looking forward to your advice.

Sincerely,

Freezing my butt off in Indiana

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.