Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ride Report - 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe, Take 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

Santa Fe web site: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/santafe/index.asp

I received a 2005 Santa Fe as a paid upgrade this weekend. Its in class Q4.

My version had the 2.7-liter, 24-valve, DOHC, V6 engine with optional 4WD. Theres also an optional 3.5L V6 engine was an extra 30 horsepower (170 to 200). The engine had enough power for the vehicle with a few people and no luggage, but it gained speed slowly. I know rapid starts arent a strong point of SUVs, but it still bugs me. Acceleration and braking were smooth, and the car handled well, but I could feel its bulk. Mileage is quoted as 18/23.

I didnt find the interior as uncomfortable as some others here. I do agree with another posters complaint about how far the front seats go back: not enough, and for no obvious reason. Even with my seat all the way back there was plenty of room in the back row. Im 511 and couldnt stretch my legs all the way out. This isnt a problem for short trips but would get very uncomfortable on long ones.

Hertz didnt outfit my car with many bells and whistles. The seats were cloth and manually adjustable, and the sound system was the basic one with a single CD and cassette player. Theres lots of places to store stuff up front but no audio controls on the steering wheel.

Overall, this was a competent SUV, and if I wanted a mid-size SUV for only short trips Id have no hesitation taking this car. I would not want to drive it long distances because of the seat. As a side note, I had a Buick Rendezvous a few weeks ago, and it was class YQ. Im surprised both these vehicles are Q class as the Buick was much more minivan-like, all around felt bulkier, and didnt handle as well. Interior space was similar though.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:32 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Qantas Club, Avis preferred, Thrifty Blue chip/
Originally Posted by Loran
Santa Fe web site: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/santafe/index.asp

I received a 2005 Santa Fe as a paid upgrade this weekend. Its in class Q4.

My version had the 2.7-liter, 24-valve, DOHC, V6 engine with optional 4WD. Theres also an optional 3.5L V6 engine was an extra 30 horsepower (170 to 200). The engine had enough power for the vehicle with a few people and no luggage, but it gained speed slowly. I know rapid starts arent a strong point of SUVs, but it still bugs me. Acceleration and braking were smooth, and the car handled well, but I could feel its bulk. Mileage is quoted as 18/23.

I didnt find the interior as uncomfortable as some others here. I do agree with another posters complaint about how far the front seats go back: not enough, and for no obvious reason. Even with my seat all the way back there was plenty of room in the back row. Im 511 and couldnt stretch my legs all the way out. This isnt a problem for short trips but would get very uncomfortable on long ones.

Hertz didnt outfit my car with many bells and whistles. The seats were cloth and manually adjustable, and the sound system was the basic one with a single CD and cassette player. Theres lots of places to store stuff up front but no audio controls on the steering wheel.

Overall, this was a competent SUV, and if I wanted a mid-size SUV for only short trips Id have no hesitation taking this car. I would not want to drive it long distances because of the seat. As a side note, I had a Buick Rendezvous a few weeks ago, and it was class YQ. Im surprised both these vehicles are Q class as the Buick was much more minivan-like, all around felt bulkier, and didnt handle as well. Interior space was similar though.
I just had one for a week and had the same mixed feelings. The car was moderately comfortable and the engine sounded great, but no power!!! The auto gearbox always went down to 2nd gear if going up a long hill or overtaking.
My one was a GL Santa Fe (Aussie spec.) with 2.7l V6 auto AWD, single CD, criuse control, cloth seats, rear fog lights and alloy wheels.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:42 pm

Programs: American EXP, Hilton Diamond
very weak car and not much room for a car of that size

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.