Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '06 Chevrolet Impala LT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '06 Chevrolet Impala LT

Came into DFW earlier this week, and found another Mustang in my stall (the third time in three weeks!). Of course, being the generous person I am, I decided to trade with a co-worker who hadn't yet experienced pony-car power, while I "settled" for her new '06 Impala LT (OK, I admit I was a bit excited to drive GM's latest product refresh )...

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/

From the Chevrolet website, my 3LT trim model is priced at $25,420.

Power: My model was equipped with the GM High Value 3.9L 242 hp V6, which provides effortless power, albeit a bit unrefined compared to Nissan's butter-smooth 3.5L and Toyota's whisper-quiet 3.3L. However, I did find the 3900 to be noticeably smoother than the unremarkable 3500. As expected, GM's four-speed Hydra-Matic is a model example of an automatic tranmission, providing smooth, prompt shifts (though the lack of a fifth or sixth gear may be a negative compared to the competition). Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 19/27 mpg city/highway.

Ride/Handling: For a large sedan, the Impala has generally neutral dynamics. Steering and handling are significantly improved over the pre-refresh Impala, while the ride remains comfortable and smooth without being overly floaty. There is some numbness in the steering rack though, and body roll is a bit more pronounced that I would prefer. Brake feel is moderate, and the standard ABS and traction control systems are fairly unintrusive.

Interior: GM apparently paid major attention to refreshing the interior, and it shows. Design and tactile quality show huge improvements over the last model, and the general result is pleasing, particularly in the charcoal-colored example in my model. Materials quality is also generally good, although some dash panels looked high-quality, but felt cheap. Ergonomics are intuitive, save for a out-of-place stereo tuning knob and a steering wheel with no telescoping adjustments. Interior space is generous, but trunk space seems to be a bit smaller than the competition.

Features: Other than the requisite power accessories, notable features include a remote-start system, tire-pressure monitor, a "fold-flat" rear seat and an MP3-capable stereo system.

Value: My Impala model was classed under YF, which would likely put it under competition with cars such as the Five Hundred, Camry and Bonneville (from my experiences). I would rate the Impala below the Camry, but above the Bonneville and Five Hundred (although my main complaint with the Ford is the lack of power, which the upcoming 3.5L Duratec should remedy).

To sum it up:

The Good
A comfortable cruiser
Well-equipped

The Bad
Some cheap interior bits
Adequate, but uninspiring performance
Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:01 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Man, you drive all the cool and new cars! Argh!

Nice review. That's what I love about HErtz. You can drive the latest and greatest at any time. I'm sure they just shipped that Impala.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I dunno if I'd call the Impala "cool" -- but the drive did leave me pleasantly surprised. ^ I probably shouldn't post in the Car Lounge though, lest it be more ammo for GM-bashing...
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
So the new Impala Hertz orders is the LT3? and thats all locations and does it have Leather and they still are YF? So if I just reserve a F and then ask for it at the location and also make a pref. for leather on the res?

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old Sep 10, 2005, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
The 05 Impala was my favorite full-size (since Camry SE's don't come with the V6 at Hertz), so I look forward to getting some 06's.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgeer
So the new Impala Hertz orders is the LT3? and thats all locations and does it have Leather and they still are YF? So if I just reserve a F and then ask for it at the location and also make a pref. for leather on the res?
Not sure if all models will be 3LT, but mine did not have leather/sunroof. It was indeed a YF (at least according to the keychain, didn't have a chance to look at my co-worker's contract).
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
The 05 Impala was my favorite full-size (since Camry SE's don't come with the V6 at Hertz), so I look forward to getting some 06's.
You'll like it. ^ My impressions probably make it seem like the car is too soft, but that could be because my personal tolerance of "sofa-like" dynamics ends with the Camry.

The car is a BIG improvement over the '05 overall (IIRC only 15% of mechanicals carried over), and the only car I'd probably take over this would be the Camry SE (I think I might have actually had one in V6 trim ).

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Sep 10, 2005 at 9:16 pm
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I received one of these at the West Loop HLE this week here in Chicago. I loved the interior appearance and comfort of the vehicle. I had to drive it home from Champaign in a rainstorm and that showed the handling was pretty good, although there was a bit more "roll" than I would've liked. I received a decent 24.5 mpg for the trip, which was almost all highway.

Minor quibbles include a radio control/display that I never did get used to and an awkward wiper control. But, overall it had good power, handling, sound system, interior. I would put this car at the top of the F class and will request it again if I see one on the lot when I arrive to my normal 500/Taurus.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
took me .5 miles after pulling out of a hotel to get a speeding ticket with one of these, it sure didn't feel like I was going 60... next time I doubt I'll take the free upgrade, maybe I'll just go for the mid size instead of full!!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I still have the 06 Impala out on rent and let me say...i hate it vs. the last year model. seats are horrible, there is no letter or numbers on the tranny shifter, the cup holder contraption sucks, and it seems even cheaper than the one it replaces(quality wise).
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
did the car have satalite radio?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Driving an LTZ now (Maybe an LT3?)

Mine has leather, sunroof, sat radio (although not activated). The AUX Input is pure genius. I'm able to hook up my Sirius receiver to the car and enjoy much cheaper Sat radio than getting it through Hertz.

The car has some good power and it's actually somewhat fun to drive. I agree with DWilliamson about the cupholders & gear shifter. The cup holders also double up as a little tray to hold stuff and I found that putting the receiver in there is a semi-decent fit but now I have no cup holders for morning coffee.

The other thing I noticed is that the rear seats appear to be less roomy. Not sure if Chevy shortened the wheelbase or if it's just an illusion but the older vintage impalas apepar to be slightly longer and have slightly more room in the back. Could be just me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.