million miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 1mm , FD GE
million miles

I just made 1'000,000 miles
I should become Gold for Life.
How is this done? Will AA let me know? Send me something?
Nothing so far in my electronic mile display/status.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.8M, MR Platinum Premiere, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ntinman
I just made 1'000,000 miles
I should become Gold for Life.
How is this done? Will AA let me know? Send me something?
Nothing so far in my electronic mile display/status.
Congrats ntinman!

IIRC, you should receive a letter with MM luggage tags (with whatever your current status is) in the near future. Additionally if you are not currently elite you should also get a gold membership card...but since your profile indicates you are PLT, I don't believe that's applicable.

Last edited by JustSayGrr; Sep 13, 2005 at 5:33 pm Reason: Realized OP is PLT
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ntinman
...Nothing so far in my electronic mile display/status.
Nor will there be, except that your status will not drop below Gold even if you don't fly at all. Your MM status is reflected in the Program to Date Miles figure just below the Summary Date, in the left half of the page.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Congratulations! Sure is nice isn't it?

I have GOLD secured and am working toward 2 million. It is a wonderful obsession.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
You should receive a new PLT card with the MM logo on it- perhaps they will even spring for MM PLT luggage tags for this mileage mark. You'll also get some e-upgrades deposited into your account-4 is it? When I hit my first MM in 1998 they gave 2 rt North America one class upgrades with no capacity controls-that was a nice perk!

Remember the lifetime wording- you are GOLD for the lifetime of the GOLD program, not your lifetime. (Actually for whichever ends first!) I imagine if a time comes that there are just too many GOLDs and it is somehow to AA's detriment, they could end the GOLD elite level and perhaps create a new level, say AAdvantage COPPER with all the same qualifications and benefits as GOLD had...and if you thought the threads about upgrade co-pay were going on forever just wait!

I'd love to know the statistics on how many million thresholds is the record for a member and the numbers of members who have reached the other milestones.

Congrads on making life-Gold. Enjoy the trip to life-Plat and hurry before they change the miles that count to something more like BIS only!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pgppetch
...Remember the lifetime wording- you are GOLD for the lifetime of the GOLD program, not your lifetime. (Actually for whichever ends first!) I imagine if a time comes that there are just too many GOLDs and it is somehow to AA's detriment, they could end the GOLD elite level and perhaps create a new level, say AAdvantage COPPER with all the same qualifications and benefits as GOLD had...
Uh-uh. Ask your favorite lawyer about "form versus substance." If it works just like Gold used to, or if in the court's opinion works too much like Gold used to, a name change won't be considered as terminating AA's lifetime obligations under this program. (And you can be sure that some aggrieved soon-to-be-ex-Gold would want to take them to court to keep his/her elite status, and that some lawyer with a mileage fetish or visions of a class action suit would take it on even though a big contingency fee from a percentage of the award ain't in it.)
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by pgppetch
I imagine if a time comes that there are just too many GOLDs and it is somehow to AA's detriment, they could end the GOLD elite level and perhaps create a new level, say AAdvantage COPPER with all the same qualifications and benefits as GOLD had...

They would more likely just discontinue Lifetime Gold as a 1MM perk as it's an unpublished benefit, or make it 2MM for gold. And you should get 8 UGs deposited to your account. Congrats on 1MM
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
They really should give more than just 8 500-mile certs. 16 would be a more fitting reward.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
They really should give more than just 8 500-mile certs. 16 would be a more fitting reward.
25,000 miles would be nice.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SNAGold
They would more likely just discontinue Lifetime Gold as a 1MM perk as it's an unpublished benefit, or make it 2MM for gold...
Or count only BIS miles toward MM status, like most other airlines. (I'm not too worried about their getting that idea from this post - it's not like they don't know what the rest do or the fear of that change hasn't already been posted a bazillion times on FT.)
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
Or count only BIS miles toward MM status, like most other airlines. (I'm not too worried about their getting that idea from this post - it's not like they don't know what the rest do or the fear of that change hasn't already been posted a bazillion times on FT.)

I fully agree. I would much rather they count only BIS than that they devalue Gold with something like Cooper, as one poster suggested.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I just crossed the 3-million-mile threshhold (thanks for giving me a forum to brag about it ) and received the following email. If properly registered for emails on aa.com, I would think that the OP can expect a similar one.

Dear [Blumie],

Congratulations on reaching the next Million Miler level!

As the millions of miles add up, there are fewer members who earn this special designation. In just a few weeks you'll receive a new elite membership card that acknowledges your multi-Million Miler status - plus some other gifts we think you'll enjoy.

We are gratified by your dedication and confidence in us. Thanks for your commitment to American Airlines and the AAdvantage program.

Yours truly,

Kurt Stache
President
AAdvantage Marketing Programs
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:41 pm

Congratulations!

How long did it take you to receive the email after crossing the threshold?

Is there any online indication of lifetime status?
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by richarddd
Congratulations!

How long did it take you to receive the email after crossing the threshold?

Is there any online indication of lifetime status?
About a week. The flight was on Aug 26. I don't know what day the flight posted, but I received the emial on Sep 8.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:49 pm

My email:

Dear richarddd,

Congratulations on reaching the Million Miler level!

Whether you eagerly awaited this achievement or didn't realize it occurred, I want you to know that we think it's an accomplishment to celebrate. In just a few weeks you'll receive a new elite membership card that acknowledges your Million Miler status - plus some other gifts we think you'll enjoy.

Every one of the 1,000,000 AAdvantage miles you've earned is an indication of your support, and we thank you for your commitment to American Airlines and the AAdvantage program.

Yours truly,

Kurt Stache
President
AAdvantage Marketing Programs
Took about a week. Kurt must be busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.