PIT will lose all mainline service

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
PIT will lose all mainline service

Sadly, all mainline service to Pittsburgh will be discontinued in December. Last day of mainline service is tentatively set as 1 December 2005. On the "bright" side, MIA-PIT is tentatively set to get a second daily the first week of January, but that barely makes up for it, I know. As recently as July, MIA-PIT was supposed to be a daily 738/daily ERD operation starting in November.

Unfortunately, Colombus and Memphis will also be losing all mainline service sometime in late '05/early '06. Kind of odd that this will leave Dayton as the only Ohio station with mainline.

Last edited by MAH4546; Sep 15, 2005 at 6:58 pm
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As WN continues to expand and thrive at PIT, this was bound to happen. Same thing LAX-SJC - All Eagle, All the Time.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
As WN continues to expand and thrive at PIT, this was bound to happen. Same thing LAX-SJC - All Eagle, All the Time.
bah, what nonsense-- as if PIT-DAL is a meaningful WN route.

it's more likely a significant, though painful, cost cut to take stations with a single mainline spoke and multiple Eagle spokes and simply make them all Eagle. fewer ground employees on mainline wages... only prudent as fuel costs stay high and competitors go under the knife in Ch 11. it will likely cost AA a little business from me (CMH-DFW is not an Eagle flight I will take in preference to a nonstop from here), but I never pay high fares to go there anyway.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:55 pm

I'm a novice so please excuse my ignorance.... so what do you mean by mainline service?

I live in Pittsburgh and have about 200k miles in my AA account and since my wife and I have opened AA-citi-cards and will be adding at least 80k miles a year between us I'm really concerned how this will affect us.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by obx_man
I'm a novice so please excuse my ignorance.... so what do you mean by mainline service?

I live in Pittsburgh and have about 200k miles in my AA account and since my wife and I have opened AA-citi-cards and will be adding at least 80k miles a year between us I'm really concerned how this will affect us.

They are speaking of American Eagle/Connection services only. No MD-80's just the CRJ's
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:00 pm

Mainline service = American Airlines rather than American Eagle service. Mainline service is in MD80s, 737s, 757s, 767s, etc. Mainline service has first class cabins. American Eagle has only coach. Etc.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mainline = Shiny large jets that say American on them, as opposed to white, small RJs that say American Eagle.

Mainline equals expensive pilots, FAs and ground crews, while Eagle means reduced wages for everyone, small planes and No First Class.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It has little, if anything, to do with Southwest. ORD and MIA were already all-Eagle, and those are where WN indirectly competed (with MDW and FLL). WN is not allowed to carry PIT-DAL passengers on one ticket, so they didn't compete there.

It has to do with getting rid of high-paying mainline stations, and replacing them with lower-paying Eagle stations. Unfortunate, but one of the cuts that keeps AA as the most financially stable legacy airline.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:36 pm

For whom the bell tolls, it tolls for PIT
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:39 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by MAH4546
It has to do with getting rid of high-paying mainline stations, and replacing them with lower-paying Eagle stations. Unfortunate, but one of the cuts that keeps AA as the most financially stable legacy airline.
Huh?

Assuming decent loads on the maddogs to DFW, the unit cost to haul a butt on that route gets higher on the eagle metal.

If AA would bring back PIT-JFK, they would fill it with international traffic.

AA has had eagle on the ORD runs for years--they've chased the frequency (5x or so/day) rather than capacity. I don't know of too many people who are going to tolerate the CRJ all the way to DFW (presumably to connect west/south) rather than AA or UA via ORD or LUV or HP/US via PHX or LAS or US on the E170 if heading to DFW.

Oh well.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Huh?

Assuming decent loads on the maddogs to DFW, the unit cost to haul a butt on that route gets higher on the eagle metal.
Very true. However, it doesn't really have to do with that. PIT is a mainline station that employes 76 people (for only nine daily flights!) at mainline pay rates. This right there is the killer. By making PIT an Eagle station, they can fire those workers, and then rehire them at Eagle wages, which is much lower. As a result, though, they can't put mainline back at PIT, because than the fired/re-hired employees have quite a legit lawsuit on their hands. Same with the soon to end mainline service to Columbus and Memphis...too many mainline employees for too few mainline flights. Some smaller mainline stations, like Dayton and Greensboro, are out-stationed or already worked by Eagle employees, so it isn't an issue there, and mainline can continue.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:29 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Huh?

If AA would bring back PIT-JFK, they would fill it with international traffic.

AA has had eagle on the ORD runs for years--they've chased the frequency (5x or so/day) rather than capacity. I don't know of too many people who are going to tolerate the CRJ all the way to DFW (presumably to connect west/south) rather than AA or UA via ORD or LUV or HP/US via PHX or LAS or US on the E170 if heading to DFW.

Oh well.
The PIT-DFW flights have been completely full on MD-80s every time I have flown on them. Even as PLT, I never had an upgrade clear.

I can't argue with the economics. I just hope that AA uses the opportunity to increase frequency. I have noticed that when connecting LGW-DFW-PIT particularly on the winter schedule it is impossible to connect from an afternoon departure.

I would support a few daily PIT-JFK frequencies, timed to connect with a bank of transatlantic flights (as DL does). It makes little sense to backtrack to ORD when flying transatlantic, particularly as this increases the flight length. It would also increase opportunities to connect to JFK-LHR/ZRH/BRU etc. flights as well as other OW partners (AY to HEL, CX to YVR/HKG, MA once they enter OW).
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:04 am

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Very true. However, it doesn't really have to do with that. PIT is a mainline station that employes 76 people (for only nine daily flights!) at mainline pay rates. This right there is the killer. By making PIT an Eagle station, they can fire those workers, and then rehire them at Eagle wages, which is much lower. As a result, though, they can't put mainline back at PIT, because than the fired/re-hired employees have quite a legit lawsuit on their hands. Same with the soon to end mainline service to Columbus and Memphis...too many mainline employees for too few mainline flights. Some smaller mainline stations, like Dayton and Greensboro, are out-stationed or already worked by Eagle employees, so it isn't an issue there, and mainline can continue.
They have put mainline back in at GSO after a period of all Eagle (which was after a period of mainline before that). Are you sure about not being able to put mainline back at PIT?
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
MD80s still show on AA.com for late December and early January.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:47 am

It just hit me that the first leg of our trip next June, PIT-DFW, goes on an MD-80..... how will that work since we already have seat assignments?

The MD-80 holds 135 where and ER4 only holds 50 ..... hope we don't get screwed on this one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.