Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA FA with most years flying retiring! [new title to reflect new info]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1ex1K now Prem Plat Life 2MM ; SQ: exPPS

Interested in this exteemed group's experiences with some of the more senior UA FA's (particularly still flying International).

My most interesting : walk out of ORD Customs together with the last of the UA flight crew and all the others are outside singing -- celebrating an anniversary of years flying with United for one of the FA's (who served us in First Class) ..

How many years ??? An UNBELIEVABLE FIFTY (yep 50) years as an FA with UAL ............... how many Singapore Airline girls do that ?? (thankfully!!)

She said she only does International and trades off some flights for fewer hours now..but still does at least 3 trips per month.

AND... she had no plans to retire any time soon !!
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:26 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by retrav1K
Interested in this exteemed group's experiences with some of the more senior UA FA's (particularly still flying International).

My most interesting : walk out of ORD Customs together with the last of the UA flight crew and all the others are outside singing -- celebrating an anniversary of years flying with United for one of the FA's (who served us in First Class) ..

How many years ??? An UNBELIEVABLE FIFTY (yep 50) years as an FA with UAL ............... how many Singapore Airline girls do that ?? (thankfully!!)

She said she only does International and trades off some flights for fewer hours now..but still does at least 3 trips per month.

Fifty years - my God.

There are loads of threads floating around about this issue. I believe the oldest FA is named Iris Peterson. Just do a search for 'Iris' and you'll find something in no time...
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:31 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Iris Peterson
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:00 am

how many Singapore Airline girls do that ?? (thankfully!!)
I'm in Singapore now and one of the locals told me that the SQ girls aren't allowed to "fly" after they turn 35. They get moved to other positions within the company.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, AA CK, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, KAL MC, Hyatt Globalist, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
On the LAX to NRT flights in first UA 890 and 891 there is always the same flight attendant on my outbounds (Sundays) and returns (Tuesdays) in F. She says she has been doing this for 43 years and only does LAX-NRT-LAX. Very nice lady, who incidentally lives close to where I live in LA. Ran into her in the supermarket before.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985

She probably can't afford to retire. She has had her UA stock turn to dust like the rest of us dummies who didn't sell.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I've noticed in my limited observation UA seems to seems to have more "senior" F/As than AA. Anyone else noticed this?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by BDLORD
She probably can't afford to retire. She has had her UA stock turn to dust like the rest of us dummies who didn't sell.
I believe UA FAs refused to participate in the ESOP. Those employee groups who did could not cash out their stock options without quitting first, IIRC.

Last edited by John26; Oct 11, 2005 at 9:30 pm
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by BDLORD

She CAN afford it. Her husband is a retired Navy Admiral. I think his retirement should cover them both.............
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: United (2MM, Former 1K), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Titanium))
Iris Peterson, the #1 UA flight attendant, retired today with 60 years service. She was born in 1921, and started with UA in 1946. WOW!!!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Colo1K
Iris Peterson, the #1 UA flight attendant, retired today with 60 years service. She was born in 1921, and started with UA in 1946. WOW!!!
OK, are you 100% certain about this, or do we have another "Iris Retired Today" rumor?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:16 pm
Liz

Programs: MP

I think I know who that is! AFAIK she isn't married and commutes.

Yep, rumors have been flying AGAIN that Iris is at or near retirement...we'll see!!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Liz
I think I know who that is! AFAIK she isn't married and commutes.

Yep, rumors have been flying AGAIN that Iris is at or near retirement...we'll see!!
Liz, I trust you or flygirl94 or Aluminum Tubing or another of our awesome FT flight attendants will find out the real deal about this?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: United (2MM, Former 1K), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Titanium))
Go to:

www.prnewswire.com
or
www.unitedafa.org

and do a search for "Iris Peterson".
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:18 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by flyinryan
Liz, I trust you or flygirl94 or Aluminum Tubing or another of our awesome FT flight attendants will find out the real deal about this?
Yes, it is my highest priority! :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.