Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CHEAP gas prices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up CHEAP gas prices

We've all wondered if we bought the cheapest gas for the rental car in a strange city just to turn the next corner to find out NOPE.. We spend time looking thru threads or web sites to find the cheapest hotel & car & airfare and best place to eat with miles/points but always seem to miss out on the lowest gas prices. Here is a link to gas prices in any state or province in North America (US/Canada) from locals that took the time to post (and you can find your home town too!). As a matter of fact, today found gas 20 cents cheaper just down four blocks from the bank I was going to but never travel down that part of the street. While looking, take time to post your home town prices or even sign up to be a member.

www.gasbuddy.com
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Gasbuddy's a cool site.

Watch out in SAN, they have like 1 gas station near the rental car clusters and it's easily .30/gallon more than in town. It's ridiclous but I guess those on expense accounts don't really mind too much anyways...
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Thanks for the info! I had heard about this a long time ago, and then when prices went up recently I tried to find it again, to no avail. I shared it with a lot of my pals at work, so in case I forget again, maybe one of them can remind me.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:28 pm

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466085

this thread in SPAM. good thread with a lot of posts. check it out.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Web site still around and growing

Just an update some two years later, the web site still around and has grown to include maps and pictures of gas stations.

Check it out.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
I find that www.mapquest.com's gas price feature to be at least as good as Gas Buddy...
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Gasbuddy is still around and for those of you with a WAP device they have a WAP website where you can enter a city, state or zip code and get a quick return. It claims to have a text based service but I have not been had any success making that work.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by mlshanks
I find that www.mapquest.com's gas price feature to be at least as good as Gas Buddy...
...if their JavaScript wasn't so screwed up. I can never get the maps to work when sorting by price on Mapquest - only when I sort by alpha will it work. Same problems in IE and Firefox.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:36 am
JDG

Of course, saving even 10 cents on a 15 gallon fill up is only $1.50.... so what's the time cost of looking for the kind of savings?

On the other hand, since the website could tell me where a gas station near the rental car drop-off is located (say at SAT), I guess it isn't completely without value.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:13 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JDG
Of course, saving even 10 cents on a 15 gallon fill up is only $1.50.... so what's the time cost of looking for the kind of savings?
Actually it's worse than that. After all, saving ten cents on a 15 gallon fill up is only 10 ¢. Saving 10 ¢ per Gallon OTOH ......

EmailKid
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Savings is savings, regardless which way you look at it. Granted, going 'out of the way' to save a few cents, isn't the smartest thing. If you know that just three blocks down the road saves you some $$$, then be smart about it. The 'big bad fuel companies' are very aware that paying a few cents more for gas isn't a big thing to us but look at it on their end, they're ending up with big profits that we want congress to tax them higher on that profit. Then you know who will pay for that tax? Dropping a car off at DFW south car rental center, there is a Shell at $3.15, well just within 2 miles (on the same way to the airport) there is gas stations between $2.74-$2.79, so in this case the savings can be something to write home about.
I've use the gas map on the web site to look around to find the least expensive gas prices on the way to the airport, leaving me with a few dollars in my pocket instead of 'theirs'.

Last edited by AmericanFtWorthTX; Dec 23, 2007 at 8:41 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:55 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I personally prefer the GUI of www.gaspricewatch.com more than gasbuddy. Both sites are pretty decent though.

One thing I like about about gaspricewatch is right on the front page it gives you the highest and lowest prices nationwide. At the moment the highest is in Kihei, HI - $3.87, and the lowest in Laredo - $2.57.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.