Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Calgary - Sheraton Suite Eau Claire or Westin? [Master Thread]

Calgary - Sheraton Suite Eau Claire or Westin? [Master Thread]

Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:38 pm
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Arrow Calgary - Sheraton Suite Eau Claire or Westin? [Master Thread]

Hi,

First time in Calgary and I need advice from people who have stayed at both these properties. I have found a rate for 139 CAD at the Westin that includes breakfast and as SPG Gold I can get upgraded to a better room. On the other hand, the best rate at the Sheraton is 149 CAD room only but it is a suite.

According to the trip advisor site, the Sheraton is the #1 property in YYC per customer satisfaction. These 2 locations are not that far from each other and I am aware of where they are in downtown. I would be interested to know which of these two is the better one in terms of comfort, service and overall experience.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:42 pm

I've stayed in both of these. I think the Westin is slightly better, but the Eau Claire location is nicer if the weather is good because there are some eateries and shopping right across the street from the hotel, and there is an island park on the river next to the hotel which is nice for walking about. There is also a nice restaurant in that park that serves wild game. Try the rabbit, it's great.

You can pick up good suits in Calgary. Caddy-corner from the Westin there is a shop called Supreme Men's Wear. The suits are well made and of good value. They also introduced me to some micro-fiber dress shirts when they first came out. It's a good store with excellent service, as the owners work there.

Everything in Calgary is in close proximity, so either hotel is suitable location wise. It's a very nice city.

M8
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
I much prefer the Eau Claire Suites hotel. From my experience, larger rooms, terrific Club level lounge with nice evening and morning fare, terrific management, trendier, small waterslide etc. The Westin, although decent, seems rather plain by comparison. Guaranteed Club level rooms can be had for quite reasonable rates and are very nice w/ amenities etc provided. Valet parking is @$20 CAD in both hotels. Suites at the Eau Claire are likely to be larger than anything you will be upgraded to at the Westin and the Eau Claire is a guaranteed suite.

If you need anything else, PM me.

and welcome to Calgary !
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:47 am
tyn

I stayed at the Westin a few months ago and I was not impressed.
The room and the public areas seemed a bit run down and in need of a good spring cleaning, if you get what I mean

On the other hand, both dinner at their restaurant and breakfast were above average ^
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:55 am

Sheraton, hands down, status or not. If you are a plat, breakfast will be included in the lounge at the Sheraton anyway, so that is not a consideration.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hand's down, Sheraton Suites! In my experience, the Westin doesn't even come CLOSE to the SS, and that's even considering that I was u/g to a large suite at the Westin. The SS is considerably newer, the rooms are just great (plus I like the 'separate bedroom' layout), nice gym & pool, the Club Lounge is awesome, but the hotel's real strength is it's staff. Without exception (at least in my experience) they are the most helpful, cheerful, efficient and welcoming I've encountered anywhere. They really do bend over backwards to ensure you have an excellent stay. I travel to Edmonton frequently, and I like the SS so much I'm considering spending at least the 1st and last night of my trips in Calgary at the SS, even with the drive.

Only downside is they are usually more expensive than the Westin. But it's worth it!
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:22 pm

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by There yet?
Hand's down, Sheraton Suites! In my experience, the Westin doesn't even come CLOSE to the SS, and that's even considering that I was u/g to a large suite at the Westin. The SS is considerably newer, the rooms are just great (plus I like the 'separate bedroom' layout), nice gym & pool, the Club Lounge is awesome, but the hotel's real strength is it's staff. Without exception (at least in my experience) they are the most helpful, cheerful, efficient and welcoming I've encountered anywhere. They really do bend over backwards to ensure you have an excellent stay. I travel to Edmonton frequently, and I like the SS so much I'm considering spending at least the 1st and last night of my trips in Calgary at the SS, even with the drive.

Only downside is they are usually more expensive than the Westin. But it's worth it!
Eau Claire all the way. It's not even close in my opinion.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:19 pm
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
I am grateful for all your replies and insightful advice. I reserved the Sheraton and will do a trip report afterwards.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:49 pm

Westin oh no

This is disapointing, i have a reservation that i can't cancel at the westin and now i hear all this bad stuff. geez. i thought that with my lowly status of prefered plus i could receive an upgrade. I think this is mainly a business hotel and so i booked for the weekend so perhaps i still have a chance, anyways a rate of 87.5/ night for two nights isn't bad.

Any tips on who to deal with at the front desk????
Old Oct 22, 2005, 5:38 pm

I live in Calgary but took Mrs Cattle to the Westin 2 weeks ago so we could try ou the Heavenly Bed as we seriously considered getting one. As a plat I was upgraded to a corner Jr Suite with opening patio door overlooking Eau Claire. The Bed was great and that was about it.

The hotel feels dated but dont despair scanvenger. For that price you get the Heavenly Bed and you will be fine It is two blocks walk (less than 5 minutes) to Eua Claire.

In the future I would say in the future if the difference is only $10 per night and you can swing it go for it but for the $60 spread between your's and OP's rates I wouldn't worry
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Any recent opinions?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, UA Credit Card Elite
I just spent a night in the Westin and a week in the Sheraton. Personally I liked the Sheraton better just because of the extra space. Having the separate bedroom and living space made for a slightly more relaxing trip. One thing to note though was that the rooms themselves were nicer at the Westin. They were newer and had nicer finishings. I think they were updated recently.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The Westin really isn't that bad but for a $10 difference, I'd also do Sheraton.

The Westin has the "regular" block and the "Tower" block. The Tower block is older but has larger rooms. The regular block has all been upgraded to the current Westin standard. Honestly, I preferred the regular block better. I also have to say I received outstanding service at the Westin.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:52 am

Does the Westin still have the Manager's Reception on Wednesdays?
Old May 24, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Yes, I was there last Wednesday - 5-7pm I believe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.