Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '06 Ford Fusion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '06 Ford Fusion

Arrived into DFW and found one of these waiting in my stall -- surprising, since I didn't know they were out yet. Oddly enough, I had just returned an '06 Mazda 6i at SFO, so it was interesting to compare these two cars.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fusion/

From the website, my SEL V6 model was equipped with optional ABS and leather, and was accordingly priced at $23,850.

Power: Equipped with the 3.0L V6 churning out 221 hp, the Fusion has plenty of power. The Duratec unit is strong throughout the power-band, though at higher revs, the engine noise can be a bit thrashy for some. The six-speed automatic is well-matched to the engine, but sometimes engages in gear-hunting, especially during spirited driving. The lack of standard traction or stability control also induced moderate torque steer on several occasions. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 21/29 mpg city/highway, and in mixed driving, I've been getting a reasonable 23.5 mpg.

Ride/Handling: Like its Mazda 6 cousin, the Fusion shines in the driving dynamics department. Dynamics are sharp, with body motions well-controlled and nicely-weighted steering -- the overall tuning is slightly softer than the Mazda, but nothing too dramatic. Thanks to the longer wheelbase, the ride is smoother than the 6, but still remains firm and composed. Brakes are also firm and easy to modulate, though initial brake pedal travel is a bit mushy.

Interior: The interior of the Fusion is a very pleasing place to be, thanks to solid ergonomics, an elegant design and high-quality materials. While tactile quality is high, there were one or two slightly misaligned trim pieces. Ergonomics are generally intuitive, though the HVAC unit is positioned a bit too low. Interior space is on par for the class, and trunk space is generous. Storage space is somewhat paltry though -- the front door map pockets couldn't properly fit the Hertz contract, let alone an actual map. On the other hand, cupholders are abundant. The steering wheel is nice and grippy -- perfect for the enthusiast.

Features: Other than the standard accessories, some notable features include audio and climate controls on the steering wheel, supportive leather seats and a 6-disc in-dash CD changer.

Value: The Fusion was classfied as a YC vehicle, which would probably put in competition with the Mazda 6 and Hyundai Sonata. While the Sonata was nicer, I enjoyed driving the Fusion more, so I would take the Ford over the Hyundai. With regard to the Mazda, I would take the Fusion V6 over the Mazda 6i, but I prefer the slightly aggressive dynamics of the Mazda 6s (does Hertz carry these?).

To sum it up:

The Good
Pleasing to drive
Spacious and well-equipped

The Bad
Could use some better map pockets
Lack of stability/traction control

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Nov 2, 2005 at 3:18 pm Reason: More driving impressions added
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
Are the SEL's the only trim level Hertz carries of the Fusion, I will like to try one on my upcoming BWI rental, should I reserve a C?

Ryan
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Not sure if the SEL V6 is the only trim Hertz carries, but yeah, the car was YC, so I'd imagine that booking C/YC should be able to get you one if they have them. ^
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:01 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Just can't wait to get my hands on one of these . . .

Lihu'e 1k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.