Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Arrow The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada [Master Thread]

I heard this property opened last week. Pictures look pretty cool. Just booked a week-end stay in December.

"Experience the newest Westin in the world.

Introducing The Westin Trillium House, located at the base of Blue Mountain. This stunning landmark resort is truly a sight to behold. Experience Westin's service excellence, exceptional amenities, and endless activities, a ll just a two hour drive northwest of Toronto."

The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, US Dividend Miles Silver
Mrs Anvil & I just got home from 2 nites at the Westin Trillium House at Blue Mountain and we can't wait to go back !
If you haven't lounged in an outdoor swimming pool heated to a perfect 92F in the middle of a Canadian winter then you haven't lived...there is one very large outdoor pool, freeform shape and two hottubs...one round and seats about 10 the other freeform and much larger than the first. (Hottubs heated to 104F, but peaked to 105F last night and we couldn't stay in very long at all).
Rooms are elegant and condo-ish. We had a queen deluxe room with gas fireplace and trademark heavenly bed and heavenly bath. Small kitchenette had microwave, fridge, sink, kettle, toaster and a really good assortment of dishes & cutlerly that included glass wine glasses. Large tv and dvd player, but no time to watch as the skiing was great, intrawest village for pub hopping and of course the pools just kept us coming back every couple of hours.
Oliver & Bonacini grill is a toronto import. We didn't eat there but looked good.
Don't know what else to write, but if you need to rent skiis get them from Little Ed's in Collingwood and if you want the best best best Thai food ever go to Siamese Gecko also in Collingwood.
Cheers,
The Anvil
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How's the skiing? I have a hard time believing 720 feet of vertical could be exciting!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:46 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Given that Ontario is pretty flat - Blue isn't bad as a Great Lakes area resort. Weekends can be crowded simply because with that kind of vertical, you're back in the lift lines pretty quickly.

They have a good mix of runs but don't expect the Rockies (or even Vermont). Nightlife is good though.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:34 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Stayed at the Westin Trillium House last weekend - and although it's a nice looking place we will definitely not return. From the quality of service, it's obvious that the staff are very new to the Westin brand.

Check-in: Offered Platinum amenity but no upgrade (nor any mention of upgrade). Asked if hotel was full, and the answer was no. Received only a basic level room.

Room: Nice - the standard Westin design. Especially nice because it's brand new and still in good shape. Our room was classified as a "deluxe suite" -- but that's how this hotel has branded their standard rooms. The "kitchenette" is a small counter with a bar sink and a microwave.

In room food: Absolutely AWFUL service and food quality. We ordered two continental breakfasts through room service on Saturday morning. After 3 phone calls and well over a one hour wait, they finally arrived. Without juice. With about 1.7 cups of coffee in total for both of us. One single jam for us to share. One napkin for both of us. And one side plate. As for the food, the ultra-funky in-house Oliver & Bonacini restaurant served slightly warmed brown Wonder Bread for toast. Server justified the 1 hr plus wait by saying (a) the croissants were so good they were worth waiting an hour for and (b) it wasn't her fault because she was the only room service delivery person. For $40.

Restaurant: In spite of the awful breakfast, we tried O&B in the hotel for dinner and were pleasantly surprised. No bargains, but very good quality food with good service (nothing like our in room experience that morning!) Only complaint: the place is very, very loud

Room maintenance: Rooms are brand new so in good shape, but ... In-room coffee never replenished during our stay. No "do not disturb" sign in the room. Cover removed from our duvet by housekeeping and not replaced. Bottled water ($) consumed first night but never replenished. Second bottle of water in the room had already been opened before our arrival.

Problem resolution: Definitely not Westin calibre. We complained about our problems (primarily the breakfast -- most frustrating because waiting 1 hr+ for half a continental breakfast was such a massive waste of our time) to four people: Service Express on the phone, Service Express waitress in our room, Bellman at the valet stand a short time later (after he said, "I trust you're enjoying your stay at the Westin"), and the Front Desk. Not one of them could respond with anything better than "Uh, sorry." No offer to resolve the issue. No offer to have us speak to a manager. No phone call from a manager - ever. (The only resolution: the front desk waived the room service charge -- after I refused to pay it.)

For the balance of ski season, weekend rates at this place are well over C$250 per night. That might be worth it if this was a phenomenal hotel (it isn't) or if Blue Mountain was a great ski resort (hint: there really is no "mountain" within hundreds of miles of the place!)

Last edited by FlyerJ; Jan 20, 2006 at 5:48 am Reason: omission
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:09 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Got a nice 1-br upgrade as Plat on two rooms on a $99 special, which was ^ restaurant had problems with my waffles twice (not cooked properly) and refunded our entire breakfast (4 people) ^ you should do the tree-top walk!

http://www.sceniccaves.com/green/treetop-walking.htm

(it's < 5 mins away from the hotel)
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Have anyone stayed here recently? I plan to be up there in late Aug and was wondering what to do for 3 days. Thanks in advance!
You are staying in the village of Blue Mountain. There is an activity centre in the village run by Intrawest.

Check out: http://www.bluemountain.ca/ and http://www.blueactivities.com/

The hotel has an Oliver & Bonacini cafe restaurant, which is quite good,
albeit not inexpensive.

The hotel is next to Plunge, the waterpark.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:43 am

any more recent reviews of this property as a summer vacation spot? thinking of heading up in july or august with my wife and our 15 month old

thanks
Old May 5, 2008, 11:26 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I stayed here again last summer (fool me once, shame on you . . . fool me twice, . . .) and it failed to impress again.

Hotel is beautiful, and rooms are great. The restaurant is fantastic for lunch and dinner (mediocre at breakfast).

Their big problem continues to be service. NOT Westin calibre -- a bunch of amateurs running around without a clue about 4 star service or what the Westin brand means.

Our last (and this time I mean it) stay here was a disaster thanks to:
(1) ignored by valets upon arrival (too busy socializing)
(2) perhaps the worst check-in experience of any hotel, ever
(3) just like before, nasty nasty service from "Service Express" related to in-room dining (told me if I wanted something off of the menu, I had to go to the restaurant to ask about it and get it myself. Then refused to send glasses of water with my order, telling me that's what the glasses in my room were for.)
(4) pool never had clean towels - ever.

To make a long story short: Nice-looking place that's really poorly run. Be warned.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC Elite (finally), SPG Platinum, HHonors Silver
My wife, two children and I stayed at this hotel in June for two nights (SPG free weekend nights).

Positives:

Was upgraded to a small suite with balcony on the top floor overlooking the pool and village. Asked for a suite with two full beds (instead of pullout sofa), they would not give it to us. I know that I was not entitled to it but since they confirmed one was available, I thought they might be a little more lenient. At the end of the day we did fine with the suite given.

Weather was a little cooler than typical mid to late June but the pool was heated to a very comfortable 88 degrees. Kids stayed in for the better part of 4 hours upon our arrival. Very convenient access to the water park next door is very handy as well. Water park water kept at 88 degrees as well. Used this park for the entire following day.

Restaurant was empty for 1 brunch and 1 dinner. Food was excellent and the staff was fantastic. Very pleasant, prompt and patient with our 2 and 5 year old. A little over priced but not all that bad for a hotel.

Negatives:

Housekeeping was horrendous. We checked in to the room and had enough toilet paper to get us through the one night but no extra rolls in the basket below the sink.

Had dead batteries in one of the tv remotes, put a yellow sticky note on the remote asking for new batteries. In room safe was locked when we checked in as well. Had to call engineering to come open it.

Got back from brunch, housekeeping had been in, emptied garbage, not made the bed, saw an empty tp roll, took it away and did not replenish the supply. Left the paper hanger empty! The remote was beside the tv, tried it and still not working. Called down to housekeeping mentioned the remote and tp issue. Head of housekeeping brought tp and called maintenance for the remote. I was told the maid did not see the note. Not sure how that is possible. Half-hearted apology given.

Overall not bad, nice facilities, fun for the kids in the summer. Very glad it was a reward stay and not a paid stay at the $259/night rate.

Nothing to do with the hotel but we did the mountain top caves and bridge on the morning we left. Definately did not see the value in this activity. Caves are really just crevassess. Some nice views but that's about it.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:33 am

booked a standard room and got upgraded to 1bedroom suite as plat
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:55 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Anyone know if there is complementary parking at or near the Westin... Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AJLondon
At this Westin one pays to park, or pays more to valet.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
If you have the car valeted, you pay BUT you can park for free in the unpaved lot just beside the hotel.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 4:08 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
At this Westin one pays to park, or pays more to valet.
Thanks. Any idea roughly how much for each option?

Originally Posted by cruiser9999
BUT you can park for free in the unpaved lot just beside the hotel.
Excellent! Is this unpaved lot easy to spot when driving into the hotel? And I'm hoping only a short walk to the hotel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.