Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

$749 for 6 days/5 nights at Sheraton Maui: good deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles

Got a phone call from StarwoodVO (vacation ownership?) offering a 5 night/6 day garden view room at the Sheraton Maui for $749, tax included. It's a much cheaper rate than I've seen advertised, and the rep assured me that no timeshare presentation was required.

Anyone know if this is a tremendous deal? You have 18 months to use it and I have to put a $400 deposit down. I'm just a little skeptical that we'll be pressured to buy a timeshare despite their claims to the contrary....
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:12 pm

I'm doing this trip in May, so I though it was a good deal. Here is one older thread on this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412429

Plus, a much longer thread on a similar deal at the Princeville Resort. I believe this thread touches on Maui, as well.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368259
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Starwood Owner - Maui and Scottsdale
Originally Posted by Recreation
Got a phone call from StarwoodVO (vacation ownership?) offering a 5 night/6 day garden view room at the Sheraton Maui for $749, tax included. It's a much cheaper rate than I've seen advertised, and the rep assured me that no timeshare presentation was required.

Anyone know if this is a tremendous deal? You have 18 months to use it and I have to put a $400 deposit down. I'm just a little skeptical that we'll be pressured to buy a timeshare despite their claims to the contrary....
You do NOT have to attend a timeshare presentation - but they will offer you a $100 hotel GC after you get there, if you will.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Wow! Lots of info. This eases my mind a lot. Thanks!

Lisa
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Recreation
Wow! Lots of info. This eases my mind a lot. Thanks!

Lisa
This is one heck of a deal!
Old Nov 15, 2005, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Put my $400 deposit down today. Aloha!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I'm a bit late chiming in, but just so that you are aware, it is very hard booking dates that are #1) "popular" vacation days or 2) last minute bookings. I made my deposit down and it took months of calling before I was able to get something that worked with my schedule. They typically won't have anything within 2 months notice, sometimes not even three. The one I booked was 4 months out. So if you have an uncertain calendar, I would advise against this because deposits are nonrefundable.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I had received this offer back in August. At the time, I had already purchased airline tickets to Maui for the President Day week. We were already booked at the Ren Kapalua Bay at a rate around $240/night.

When I called the 1-800 number, they said they hadn't loaded inventory yet for February. They offered me to put down the deposit. I told them it wouldn't work, since I need these specific dates in February and knowing that it was prime time, figured that my chances were slim. I told them I would call back from time to time and check on their February inventory.

Only a few days later, the same rep I talked to called back and said my dates were now available. I was told there would be no timeshare presentation required. I went ahead a booked the reservation, which required full payment at that time. I thought that $150/night was a great rate. The rep also told me that there would be no room tax but there is a $17/day resort fee.

My advise is to only go the deposit route if you have lots of flexibility.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:05 pm

These offers are a result of an SVO owner referring you. There are plenty of us on flyertalk. I own at The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas so I can refer anyone wishing to visit Maui on this deal.

I'll need your name address and phone number to refer. Send to [email protected].

For $749, at last look, this is what they were offering:

6 Days / 5 Nights at the Westin Maui.
$75 resort certificate to spend anywhere in the resort.
$185 Avis rental car certificate.

No presentation is required, although they ask.

Someone got back to me to say the Avis certificate did not cover rental car taxes.

Moderator: It would be a good idea if there were some central list of SVO owners willing to refer people, then anyone wanting a deal on a future vacation can get one without searching the threads. Also, eventually all the properties would be represented, offering the maximum flexibility to flyertalkers.

Last edited by dujvari; Jan 7, 2006 at 1:25 pm
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:22 pm

If I wanted to visit in the first week of May, would that be considered "prime time" for this deal? I've yet to visit Maui and could book it next week if the deal were right. (I haven't been offered yet but maybe someone could refer me )
I have become a Starwood junkie over the past 6 months and have threw out all my other credit/debit cards!
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
May could be OK right now. I went last summer and it seemed to be about 2.5-3 months out that there was availability. May, before the summer school break, might be a bit better - I went in mid-August.

You probably also need to provide your email address to someone referring you - I needed to include them on my referrals. I own a Ka'anapali Maui also.

OP - the deal is very real. Many people have taken advantage of the offer. The only downside is you could be tempted by the extra $$$ to listen to the presentation and end up with a property in Maui. Not that it's a bad thing.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 7, 2006 at 2:20 pm
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:19 am

what type of room is offered with this deal at Westin Maui ? Can you upgrade to a better room w/ pts or cash ahead of time ?

Ken in Phx
Old Jan 21, 2006, 2:23 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA 2P, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
what type of room is offered with this deal at Westin Maui ? Can you upgrade to a better room w/ pts or cash ahead of time ?

Ken in Phx
Stayed at the Westin under this promotion earlier this month. A few weeks before our stay, SVO mailed us a letter offering upgrades to mountain/ocean view rooms for very high prices (I think over $200 per night extra for an ocean view). Of course we declined, and when we got there we were upgraded to a full ocean view room anyway with my partner's gold status (unfortunately, it was a room in the older ocean tower, and it was two beds instead of one king).

Turns out our SVO welcome agent (not the right title, but it's the person who calls a couple weeks in advance to see if you have any questions) had noticed that my partner was gold and noted it in our reservation. You may want to ask your agent to do that when they call, or call SPG to request the same.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Apparently this offer is still being marketed! Received a call yesterday pitching the following:

6 Days / 5 Nights at the Sheraton Maui (*or Westin - see below)
$100 resort certificate to spend anywhere in the resort.
$185 Avis rental car certificate.

^ No timeshare sale pitch is required (though you can sign up on site for the current promo).

$15-18 Resort fee not included - though I can use my certs from the class action settlement (and incl. free internet)

$400 deposit

As for blackout dates, I was told that late December and Easter/spring break were out, but everything else was supposedly available.

Anybody get a better offer recently?

As for the properties - we were treated quite well last year at the Sheraton - a deluxe resort unlike most of your typical Sheraton US hotels (hint: ask for building 6). But the pools are nicer at the Westin, so I asked if we could get the same deal at the Westin Maui instead. No problemo!

P.S. I confirmed that we don't get SPG points on the $749 rate But I think the savings more than offsets the loss of 2K pts (@ SPG Gold). And I'm sure we can always snag some points if we decide to kill an hour or two with the timeshare morons.

Last edited by Boraxo; May 24, 2006 at 5:36 pm Reason: answer my own q's
Old May 24, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I just had an award stay at the Westin Maui along with another stay at the Sheraton on the Big Island. At both hotels, I was offered an SPG50 AND a choice between a $100 voucher or 7500 SPG to attend a 90 minute presentation on SVO. I did think it was ironic that the SPG50 is not accepted in Hawaii where they were giving it out. I thought about it and declined. I did not want to schedule 90 mins of my vacation to attend a presentation, not to mention I am not crazy about timeshares (though the 7500 points were tempting).

In any case, they will probably work hard to get you to attend the presentation - obviously that is the reason they are giving you this offer.

On a side note, the Westin Maui was great, we walked to where the Sheraton is to snorkel as there is a good place for it at "Black Rock". From the looks of the Sheraton (without going inside), it is pretty nice, but I think the Westin is likely better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.