Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report -- 2006 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Ride Report -- 2006 Buick LaCrosse

For the second time in a month, I've arrived at a hertz location in texas to find a white Buick Lacrosse CXS in my spot. (no, not the same car..) The first was in Houston three weeks ago. I grumbled when I found a Buick in my spot, but it was different, and had satellite radio, so i took it. I drove off the lot at hobby airport, took the side streets down to beltway 8, and gunned it onto the ramp. Then, I did a double take. This car can't be a buick. it's fun!

I'm not an automotive writer, and I don't notice all of the finer points I read in others' trip reports. That said... The Lacrosse is available with two engines, and the CXS comes with the uplevel 3.6 Liter DOHC V6, turning out 240hp and 225 pound-feet of torque. both of the cars i've driven came with black leather, XM satellite radio (with a useless display), and automatic temperature control. one had a sunroof.

the front seat is fairly roomy for a car in this size. i generally have two problems with small cars. i like to stretch out my legs, which means i like the seat all the way back, and i expect that to give me room. once i've done that, in a small car, my left elbow looks for an armrest, and finds the pillar between the driver's side doors. the lacrosse gave me my legroom, and while the pillar is there, it doesn't prevent me from finding the door armrest. just as i was thinking to myself "i could buy this car", i also thought "but i should try the back seat first". i tried to sit behind my comfortably-positioned driver's seat. i failed. i could not put my knees directly behind the seat -- they had to go around. worse than the non-reclining last row on a CRJ, folks....

back in the front seat, i quickly stopped caring, and enjoyed the quick response from engine and brakes. buick advertises it's QuietTuning initiative, and this car delivers. the engine starts with a purr, and the ride is quiet, even during aggressive acceleration (which the engine is all too happy to deliver).

The problem, from a hertz standpoint, is that the car was classified G6. If I had reserved a premium car expecting to carry four or five adults comfortably, I would NOT want this car. Hertz made the same mistake with the Mazda Millenia a few years back -- fun car when you're alone, but when you reserve G, this is not the car you want..... but when i'm travelling alone, this is a car i'll be glad to find in my spot.

it's also worth noting that i also spotted a Lacrosse CXL on the lot -- that car would come with the GM-standard 3800 engine, a 3.8 liter V6 turning out 200 hp and 230 pound-feet of torque.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Seat1A
I'm not an automotive writer,
Could've fooled me...great report!
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Nice review. ^

I've been trying to get one of these from Hertz for a while, but no luck yet. Probably because everyone is confused that I even want one, considering that everytime I land at DFW, I try to switch my Taurus or Camry into a Mazda 3 or Subaru Legacy....
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:02 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
I got the LaCrosse CXL as a G class car recently. I found it slightly better than a Taurus. The key fob insert said it was a YF. The rental record classed it as a G.

As others have reported, with four adults of about 5'10" and taller, the rear seats are a tight fit. My wife had no problem sitting in the back with my seat pushed back comfortably. She's 5'5"

I found the trunk (per the specs on Edmunds, 16 cu ft) space (cargo room) tight and smaller than the cargo volume on my 2000 Camry.

I found the lack of heated wing mirrors on this car a pain, when driving the rain.

IMHO, this is only one step better than a regular Taurus and the key fob class correctly had it as a YF.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
i finally got a Lacrosse CXL this week, renting at ABQ. this is a different car from the CXS models i've rented. the car feels like a buick, which is not surprising, since it has the buick-standard 3800-series engine that's been powering my dad's buicks for decades. on uphills, i had to work to maintain speed, and the car just didn't have the same punch. the CXL has no XM radio, and the audio quality is not as good. i would have enjoyed trying out the CXS in the mountains on the way to ruidoso. driving the CXL was a chore. i'll concur that it's better than a taurus, but not much.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm driving a CXS in Indianapolis this week, definitely worth the extra $6/day over the Taurus as it has the XM which the Taurus doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.