Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Rio? [through 2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts regarding either of the RIO properties? I am planning a 1 week vacation in October.

Thank you!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 1:15 pm
JSD

Programs: QF P1/LTG; AA 1MM; UA 1MM
If you do a search, I think you'll find quite a few comments on the Rio Sheraton, most of them negative. The biggest problem is its location - about a mile walk to Ipanema Beach along a narrow little road that you probably don't want to walk alone on (especially after dark). Most people would agree that you are better off staying at a property right in Ipanema or Copacabana.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Get an apartment, you can get a really nice one Ipanema beach front for about $125+USD. We are talking kitchen living room balcony, stereo etc, pool jacuzzi too. If you would like email me I have a very reliable broker I use everytime I go there.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 7:15 pm

We stayed at Rio property. We used the walk as exercise, or took a cab to Impanema beach daily (and always used taxis at night). The free rooms (with points) more than made up for the taxi cost (the exchange rate of 3.5:1 was great, still good now, making taxis very cheap). If you're paying, stay with hotels at Impanema as not worth staying at Sheraton (because of location) to earn points.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Agree Sheraton is not the world's best location for what you need to do as a tourist.

We live to walk along Ave. Atlantica, stop for a $2 beer every few 100 yards in those superb outdoor cafes and people watch and then SAFELY walk back to a beachfront Hotel.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts on the new Sheraton?

So, if not *wood, what are the best hotels in RIO?
Old Aug 28, 2003, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thread might be more suited in Travel Buzz if you steer it from S/Wood.

The J.W. Marriott in centre of Atlantica is rather new - 2 years or so IIRC if you like "American". It is superbly located as you can see from this map.

Nearly all other Hotels on the main Copa (Ave ATLANTICA) strip are small, rather vintage fare.

------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 8:51 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have heard that the new standard rooms at the Sheraton Barra are very, very nice and much superior to the ones of the old Sheraton.

The beach in Barra is also better, even though you have to cross the beach avenue to get to it.

Barra has many fine restaurants and a very large Mall apart from several other smaller malls. The drive to Ipanema and Copacabana can take anything from 20/30 minutes to more than an hour depending on traffic.

The access from the airport is probably faster than to the old Sheraton as you will be using the Linha Amarela freeway.(30 min max).

Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I go to Brazil on vacation nearly annually and 6 days in Rio to ME is a few days too much.

Porto Allegre is a pretty place, and the Sheraton there is VERY nice, and VERY inexpensive.

And no-one should visit Brazil first time without a visit to (both sides of) Iguassu Falls.

The Sheraton there (on Argy side) is locally known as the "White Elephant". The most intrusive building colour possible in that superb environment.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:14 am
West Coast 1K

Starwood in Rio

I am planning a trip to Rio at the end of May. Does anyone have experiences with either of the Starwood properties there? How do they compare to the Copacabana Palace Hotel?

Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I did a one night stay at the Sheraton. As P upgraded. The Club and upgraded rooms were actually on a lower level. Hotel was ok but nothing special. Typical Sheraton. Off the beaten path. I would not stay there again. Booked excellent driver and guide services booked via the Hotel.

I tried to get my reservation for the Palace. They could not guarantee a full on beach facing room. My travel was right after 9/11 so I ended up going for a shorter period of time and could not see spending the money on the Palace. A full on beach facing room did become available before I departed. I stuck with the Sheraton plan. When I return I would stay in the beach area. Not the Sheraton. IMHO
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:38 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by West Coast 1K:
I am planning a trip to Rio at the end of May. Does anyone have experiences with either of the Starwood properties there? How do they compare to the Copacabana Palace Hotel?</font>
I've stayed at the Sheraton Rio several times. The staff are friendly and I have always received an upgrade to a suite overlooking the water. The hotel is located at the extreme south end of Leblond beach and as has been pointed out, is a little bit off the beaten track, but not by much. A 5 minute cab ride or a 20 minute walk will put you in the heart of Leblond and the action, so you are close enough to see it from your balcony, but not so close that you are hearing it.

If your appointments are in the Downtown area of Rio, you can expect a 15-20 minute drive in morning traffic.

The hotel itself is pretty standard Sheraton, and on my last visit 05/03 they had not installed the Sweet Sleepers, but the beds were more than adequate and the dining facilities were fine.

The Copacabana Palace and the Orton, for a slightly less extravagant but equally nice alternative are farther along the beach and in the heart of the action. Sometimes the noise from the street can be pretty loud. At the Sheraton, I sleep like a baby with the sounds of the waves pounding on the beach below my room.

DF

ALso I still have the bottle of Brazilian Caixca, (the key ingedient of the caipirina) which was given as a Platinum amentity.

------------------
....airline economics: The only industry where the value of a perishable goes up as the best before date approaches....
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doc Fraud:

The Copacabana Palace and the Orton, for a slightly less extravagant but equally nice alternative are farther along the beach and in the heart of the action.
DF

</font>
There are several Othon hotels along the beach in Copacabana, but even the best of them is not a match for the Sheraton in terms of quality. The Copacabana Palace, on the other hand, is on the LC or St. Regis level. Starwood will soon be inheriting the Meridien in Copacabana, but it is in bad need of a thorough refurbishing. Aside from that, there is a new Sheraton in Barra, a distant middle class suburb. All of the Starwood hotels have been thoroughly discussed several times in FT.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:25 am

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
stay at the palace in the center of Rio, after living there the Hotel for 2 months, the hotel caters to you and your SAFETY, I speak the language and can get around, if you any questions feel free to email me.

------------------
AA PL,MARRIOTT PLT,*WOOD PLT
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:55 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I agree with the Palace. The Sheraton is a nice hotel with a great staff, I stay there when I'm in Rio strictly on business for a short time. But the Palace is a great hotel right in the thick of things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.