Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Old Dec 30, 2000, 9:58 am
Original Poster

A friend's DL flight from LEX at 10am this morning was cancelled for lack of crew and he was confirmed on a 5pm flight today. Is he entitled to compensation for not being placed on a flight within 4 hours of his orginial flight?
Old Dec 30, 2000, 10:05 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
No. Only if he is denied boarding. Cancellations due to crew shortage, weather, mechanical, etc. don't count. There are very few times that you can be compensated by the airline.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
However, since his flight was not cancelled due to weather, he should have asked to be reaccommodated on another carrier.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Jan 3, 2001, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

thanks jeffreyt and Spiff
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Comair Fiasco Compensation

Just looked in my SM account online, and they've deposited 15k as "CXLD COMAIR FLIGHT'.

What do you all think? Sufficient?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Just looked in my SM account online, and they've deposited 15k as "CXLD COMAIR FLIGHT'.

What do you all think? Sufficient?
I think it's a good start. Also depends on how much you were effected. If you got to you destination late but on the right day, maybe. If you just changed your trip for this month or something, maybe. If you got home three days late with out luggage, they need to give you more.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by dspringer28
I think it's a good start. Also depends on how much you were effected. If you got to you destination late but on the right day, maybe. If you just changed your trip for this month or something, maybe. If you got home three days late with out luggage, they need to give you more.
Well, I did get to destination on the right day (well, 12:30 the following morning). Basically -- spent 90 minutes trying to call, starting at 9a. Twice got India agents who couldn't handle rebooking.

Went to airport, got helpful agent, who rebooked me on DL/ASA via ATL (F on DL, since nothing else available). Booking was roughly 5 hours later than original = lotta time at ORD.

DL flight delayed, meant I missed DCA connection. Rudeness from ASA ("it's not our fault, go talk to Delta."). Rebooked to IAD, hour delay, arrive 12:30a (original about 6 pm).
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:08 pm

Well, to me, personaly, I think the 15k is enough- But to each his own...

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Well, I did get to destination on the right day (well, 12:30 the following morning). Basically -- spent 90 minutes trying to call, starting at 9a. Twice got India agents who couldn't handle rebooking.

Went to airport, got helpful agent, who rebooked me on DL/ASA via ATL (F on DL, since nothing else available). Booking was roughly 5 hours later than original = lotta time at ORD.

DL flight delayed, meant I missed DCA connection. Rudeness from ASA ("it's not our fault, go talk to Delta."). Rebooked to IAD, hour delay, arrive 12:30a (original about 6 pm).
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:14 pm

i think, under the circumstances, 15K is appropriate.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:46 pm
Suspended

15,000 miles for cancelled ComAir Flight

^ ^ ^

Thanks Delta! 10,000 Dash to the Gate, and now this!

If you were on any Cancelled flights over the holidays, check your SkyMiles account.

I was on a flight that was cancelled due to weather in the big Cincinnati snowstorm the week before Christmas. As we all know, you don't get compensation from the airline for weather delays.

Best of all, since I was paying attention, I got rebooked on to a different flight early (I knew my flight was going to cancel due to no incoming aircraft), so I got to my destination only a hour later than scheduled.

And best of best of all.... The only reason I was on the flight that ended up getting cancelled was because I was going to be 170 miles short for redeeming an award ticket I had on hold. So rather than doing CAE-ATL-MCO, I did CAE-ATL-FLL-MCO. The FLL-MCO leg was cancelled (aircraft stuck in the CVG snow).

So, I took that flight to get me just enough miles. Then redeemed essentially all of my miles to take me down to 330 in my account. Now with this and Dash to the Gate... I'm already back to 25,000+.

Whooo Hoooo!
================================================== ==

I am merging your post with a thread posted earlier today on the Comair 15k bonus.

Rssrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jan 3, 2005 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:01 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
If you had to use ground transportation, cancel your tril or travel on another airline, you will receive 25K bonus miles.

If you needed your Comair flights to keep / earn Medallion status, you will be comped.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier
Thumbs up

I just checked my gfs account and her 15k miles posted for it. She just opened her skymiles account about 2 ^ months ago and has only flown DL once and already has 27k miles. Comair, Dash to the gate, and 2K miles from her one flight.

Dangit..I told her to take the free ground transprt to mco instead of waiting another day to fly out of mlb like before. 15K is good enough, wasn't that big of a deal to us that she was stuck a day.

Last edited by BViPeR04; Jan 3, 2005 at 4:27 pm
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:23 pm

Im glad delta is doing a pretty good job at handling this situation. If this had drug on for a few more weeks, the bad PR really would have snowballed. Ive noticed the Comair story has died much quicker than US Air and there luggage people.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dspringer28
Im glad delta is doing a pretty good job at handling this situation. If this had drug on for a few more weeks, the bad PR really would have snowballed. Ive noticed the Comair story has died much quicker than US Air and there luggage people.
I agree that they are trying to step up to the plate on this one. However, the issue would have died publically anyway. The American public could care less after a few days about airline passengers. Afterall, Comair and Delta did a good job of saying this problem was caused by the weather which in turn caused a computer problem. Whereas, US problem was caused by people. Of course, informed people know it was the computers fault, that was a person issue too but for better or worse, the public accepts computers problems, largely, as part of the deal in the 21st century.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver, PC Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rcs85551
If you had to use ground transportation, cancel your tril or travel on another airline, you will receive 25K bonus miles.

If you needed your Comair flights to keep / earn Medallion status, you will be comped.
Where did you find this? I got caught in the CVG weather and had several Comair flights cancelled from under me. I ended up driving from PHF to ORF and then to RDU chasing available flights before I finally got off the east coast on Christmas eve. Should I be eligible for 25K?

To be honest, I got the 15K posted today and I feel they were more than fair. In the end, they worked with me and changed my destination (I had to cancel previously purchased tickets to see my parents, so DL flew me there instead of my original destination). There weren't coach seats, so the gate agent rebooked me in A (complete with applicable mileage bonuses). Ultimately, I understand that weather happens and there's not a whole lot an airline can do about it. DL really did more in some cases than they had to, IMHO, and did a reasonable job taking care of this customer.

OT slightly, but I think this demonstrates why DL has a fighting chance at continuing existence. I spent two and a half days trying to leave the east coast during a time when untold flights were cancelled at possibly the worst time of the year. People were frazzled and everyone wanted to get home NOW. Every DL agent I talked to, though, was patient and helpful and I saw quite a few rules being bent trying to get people home during a difficult time. DL gets the big ^ from me for really developing a positive customer service culture.

-WT

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.