Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT MAY 1, 2010: Sheraton Utama Brunei [Master Thread]

LEFT MAY 1, 2010: Sheraton Utama Brunei [Master Thread]

Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Arrow LEFT MAY 1, 2010: Sheraton Utama Brunei [Master Thread]

Anyone stayed at the Sheraton Utama already? What to expect?

I booked for 3 nights in January a so called "Executive Deluxe" room - though there don't seem to be large differences between the room types? - Any upgrade to hope for as a Gold?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Just following up on Chris26WI's enquiry, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information around about the Sheraton Utama on this board. Happy to hear about anyone's previous experiences (unfortunately the budget doesn't stretch to staying at The Empire this time in town ).
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I was quite happy with the Sheraton Utama, especially the food was great! (Try the Sheraton burger, or what it was called.. the best I ever ate... yepp, in Brunei.. sounds strange :-) )

Rooms should be renovated now, I assume... when I stayed there, they were already renovating the top floor.

I've posted some photos here.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the quick response on that - certainly hope rooms have been renovated as well then, though it looks more than decent enough for the price even with those pics (I can't seem to find the sub BD$200 rates at The Empire any more unfortunately - otherwise I'd be heading there again, status or not ).

I can believe the burgers would be good at the Sheraton though, I know last time I was in Brunei my friends took me to the Sheraton for cake and it was amongst the best tasting cake I've eaten as well (certainly in South-East Asia anyway ^ ).
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:04 pm

Just booked an award for this property early next year.
I was almost 600 points short when I called to make my reservation.
The agent noted this, and comped me 1000 points so I could book the room.^
For the record I was more than willing to pay the $35 for the 1000 points, but she made the first offer.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:21 pm

Just to update, I had a pleasant stay here, would certainly return if I was in Brunei again. As a SPG Gold it was the SPG floor for me, nothing much in the way of upgrades, though there was water and a fruit platter there which was nice. Rooms are nicely renovated, slightly unusual with the partition between the bed and the couch, but I liked the layout personally.

Staff were friendly, the front desk was generally thinly staffed but there wasn't much in the way of traffic through the lobby either. Pool was decent enough and the gym had a reasonable selection of equipment, some a little worn, but still servicable.

If you've got the money I'd still recommend the Empire if you're in Brunei, but the Sheraton's not too bad, and if you needed to be located in BSB itself instead of out at Jerudong then the Sheraton's definitely the best pick in town.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
Just to update, I had a pleasant stay here, would certainly return if I was in Brunei again. As a SPG Gold it was the SPG floor for me, nothing much in the way of upgrades, though there was water and a fruit platter there which was nice. Rooms are nicely renovated, slightly unusual with the partition between the bed and the couch, but I liked the layout personally.

Staff were friendly, the front desk was generally thinly staffed but there wasn't much in the way of traffic through the lobby either. Pool was decent enough and the gym had a reasonable selection of equipment, some a little worn, but still servicable.

If you've got the money I'd still recommend the Empire if you're in Brunei, but the Sheraton's not too bad, and if you needed to be located in BSB itself instead of out at Jerudong then the Sheraton's definitely the best pick in town.
Thanks for the update. Apparently you did have an upgrade (in case you had booked a standard room only). The rooms with the partition are (or used to be) the Executive Deluxe Rooms or something like that. Standard rooms didn't have (or still don't have) the partition.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:13 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
We stayed at the Brunei Sheraton last month on points+cash rate. I'm no-status with SPG so we just got a regular floor, but still had the bottled water/fruit in our room. The room was nice enough, we didn't notice it much as we crashed on arriving having just flown in from the US. Breakfast buffet was BND24 ($17) each. We also went out to the Empire hotel the next afternoon, they were offering a Dorchester High Tea service for BND20, quite nice!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:44 am
Community Director Emerita

Has anyone stayed here recently? What is the condition of the hotel?

What sorts of things did you do in the city/country?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Has anyone stayed here recently? What is the condition of the hotel?

What sorts of things did you do in the city/country?
The standard rooms are decent, but not as polished compared to newer properties in the region like LM Sentral. I did not get the upgrade even though I am gold and they have lots of empty suites.

It's Brunei, do not expect buzz, just enjoy the tranquility.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum/Hyatt Diamond
Let's get real about Brunei

... was there last summer with my wife and daughter. There is breathtakingly little on offer for the tourist in this tiny nation. It's clean with good infrastructure and most local residents are friendly. And of course the mosques are stunning.

Otherwise there is really no 'there' there, very little to recommend this country in terms of sightseeing - it's not Singapore, Hong Kong or central Tokyo, though about the same size. AND ... wine, beer - alcohol of any description in completely unavailable for purchase ANYWHERE (including hotels) in Brunei.
Kind of puts a damper on vacation lunch and dinner times, especially when it's 95 degrees and very humid outside.

The Sheraton Utama is small but nice enough and suite upgrades are no problem for Plats. What was weird, however, was management's suprise that I was actually in Brunei - with family - on holiday. 'Why', one staff member inquired, 'did you come here'? Evidently most Platinum guests are solo males in country on business ... which makes sense as Brunei is not anything like Hawaii for families on tour.

And one more thing : Sheraton Utama GM should really introduce himself to guests. He runs a very good show but, though we ran into him in the lobby numerous times, he never once 'made our aquaintance' ... even though I'm certain he knew our name, we of the sole child resident in this modest property.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Well I will be there next week. Also spending a night at the Empire. Know anything about it? Think it might be the best property in Brunei. I am going on holiday. Will go to Kuching too and will be one of the first guest at the new Four Points.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:10 am

Nevsky

when it comes to the Empire, you will not be disappointed. The beauty - and sheer imposing scale - of this property must be seen to be believed. Aside from the mosques, a tour of this hotel was the highlight of our time in Brunei ... and evidently it's at the very top of tourist attractions in the country - everyone we met and talked with in Brunei insisted we see the Empire.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:01 am
Community Director Emerita

choco, I really appreciate the info you are providing. How did you get to the hotel? Taxi? Hotel car?

Nevsky, I'm thinking about a night at the Empire as well. I'd love your report on it. What level room did you book? Rates appear to be heavily discounted.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:47 am

Thank you, SanDiego1K

We went to the Utama by a taxi arranged by the hotel ... very reasonable fare.

And with regards to this Sheraton property, they have an excellent breakfast buffet and truly outstanding French-style cakes on offer, which are conveniently available for take-out (and certainly a better value than comparable ones sold here in Tokyo.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.