Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental in Jamaica: safe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Car rental in Jamaica: safe?

Is is safe to rent a car and drive around Montego Bay/Ocho Rios/Negril? I've heard the roads are terrible.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by dohvegas
Is is safe to rent a car and drive around Montego Bay/Ocho Rios/Negril? I've heard the roads are terrible.
Someone will have more updated information, but 15 years ago, I was glad to have a local driver. Issues included rough roads, livestock in the road & driving on the left.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by dohvegas
Driving in Jamaica is difficult, dangerous and expensive. The roads can be horrendous. The road between Ocho Rios and Mobay is under construction and very rough in parts.

Car rental companies require that you purchase insurance from them. Your credit card and regular auto insurance will not cover you in Jamaica. Expect to pay between $75-100 per day for a small car. For that price you can usually get a driver.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:07 am

As one who has lived in Jamaica, I wouldn't recommend it. And not just because of the condition of the roads, either. There are some extremely dangerous places in Jamaica, and you wouldn't want to wander into them accidently. You're better off hiring a driver who knows where to go - and probably more importantly, where not to go.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by onelove
Car rental companies require that you purchase insurance from them. Your credit card and regular auto insurance will not cover you in Jamaica. Expect to pay between $75-100 per day for a small car. For that price you can usually get a driver.
Not true, I have rented cars in JA many times true your Amex will not cover the insurance ( along with Italy and Ireland among other places) but I have gotten coverage with my Diners and on one ocasion damaged a car and all I did was filed a report to DC and that was that.

As to driving there it all depends on where the OP is going if you are going to the North coast or West you will be fine, but do remember they drive on the left.
mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.