Search

Bad day for LAX->HKG

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Bad day for LAX->HKG

Might be first time this winter season. All three scheduled 12/5 flights have to refuel somewhere.

881 TPE. Was 3:53 late into HKG.
885 ICN. Was 2:28 late into HKG.
883 ICN. Will be 5:50 late into HKG.

883's really on a roll lately. 11/26-29. Four ICNs in a row. Then 12/3 ICN, 12/4 TPE, 12/5 ICN. That's 7 refuels in 10 days.

Even 873 SFO->HKG visited TPE. Just arrived HKG 1:37 late.

Nasty headwinds.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:51 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, TG ROP Gold, LH Senator, *wood G
Is no wonder, have you look at weather map lately. I just flew NRT-HKG and it was very bumpy flight. Very very strong winds over Japan all way to HKG flight 3/4 h longer than usual.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Stuff happens. I have had to refuel in Anchorage on a trans-pac flight. Such are the vagaries of flying transpac...expect the unexpected.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In my opinion, CX has been getting away with this for too long. Well, at least they've finally ordered the planes that can eliminate these fuel stops. It's embarrasing that when China Southern can fly LAX-CAN non-stop year round, CX's flights are stopping in ICN/TPE too regularly.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:58 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO,AC Aeroplan
as I remember, Boeing did claim the B744 with RR egines, could fly LAX/HKG with full payload non-stop year-round.but that was 15 years ago...maybe the bad pollution and the global warming has made the winter headwind even stronger.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:16 pm

Hmmm, I'm going to fly EWR-HKG soon on CO. I wonder if this is affected. Then again, the bad winds seem to always be around Japan, so I guess I should be ok.

There was one time I flew CX from YVR-HKG... took something like 14 hours, so bad were the winds...
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Well, there's SQ's A345 aircraft....

When there was a typhoon around the inaugural flight from LAX to SIN 2 years ago, instead of flying the traditional route via Japan, the airline flew south via Hawaii... and clocked up almost 17 hours nonstop.

One of the advantages of 4 engines I guess.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:04 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Since this year I've had a few of these diversions...

CX tries to fit on as much cargo as possible, since they make a lot of money carrying cargo; apparently this offsets the costs of the diversion and reacommodating passengers once they get to HKG. I'm trying to fly my westbound transpacifics out of SFO now since the chance of diversion is much less (plust using the BA lounge helps ^ ).
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarshalN
Hmmm, I'm going to fly EWR-HKG soon on CO. I wonder if this is affected. Then again, the bad winds seem to always be around Japan, so I guess I should be ok.

There was one time I flew CX from YVR-HKG... took something like 14 hours, so bad were the winds...
EWR->HKG uses the Polar Route, which is not affected by strong jetstream over the N. Pacific. However, occassionally there may be some strange wind phenomenon that makes the route inoperable. It happened for two days this September, and CO99 became EWR-SEA-HKG, and ended up around 5 hours late into HKG. But that was extremely rare, and CX's 346 still made its non-stop over those days.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Maybe some CX guru can answer this question:

Now, I know about heavy cargoes - I was on a NW 744 flight that has to stop in ANC for DTW-SEL. But why it's always 883 that get the poor treatment? 881 made 2 fuel stops in the last 10 days. 883, which leaves LAX about an hour earlier, made 8 fuel stops in the last 11. [Yes, ICN again last night.] Do CX just think that passengers don't really need to get to HKG that early in the morning anyways, so they just put more cargo on 883 every day?

And perhaps the rationale is - Hey, would you rather sit at TBIT for another hour or two for 881 than sit on a 744 at ICN/TPE for that extra time?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:27 pm

That is indeed strange. I mean, this can't be good for publicity, but then, perhaps they've already seriously overbooked the flight for both pax and cargo, and really have no choice?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:04 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by rkkwan
But why it's always 883 that get the poor treatment? 881 made 2 fuel stops in the last 10 days. 883, which leaves LAX about an hour earlier, made 8 fuel stops in the last 11. [Yes, ICN again last night.] Do CX just think that passengers don't really need to get to HKG that early in the morning anyways, so they just put more cargo on 883 every day?

Here is an old thread that discusses this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...&highlight=LAX

Basically even with a diversion, 883 can usually still get in to make the morning bank of connections to SE Asia, while diverting 881 would misconnect.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

studio76 - Thanks for digging up that thread. Interesting that it was started exactly a year ago, also in early December. Well, until the 773ER arrive, I guess someone will be discussing this again.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by studio76
Basically even with a diversion, 883 can usually still get in to make the morning bank of connections to SE Asia, while diverting 881 would misconnect.
Sort of...

If 883 diverts to TPE, yes the connections are preserved except for the first MNL departure (and sometimes those are doable, but it not there is another one less than an hour later). TPE adds about an hour and a half to the flight time - the staff at TPE are fantastic about turning the aircraft.

If 883 diverts to ICN, most of the connections are blown, it adds 3.5 to 4 hours to the flight.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:25 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
I am guessing that pax with ICN and TPE as their final destinations would have to still board their flight to HKG from the diversion points and fly back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.