Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Use of Old Delta FF Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2001, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Best Use of Old Delta FF Miles?

Any advice for the best use of old Delta FF miles? I have 100,000 and a friend has 50,000.

Stu
Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
My personal favorite (used twice) is the M2 award: two first-class seats to Hawaii for 75,000 old miles. Remember that you have to be Medallion to use old miles for old awards!

Bruce
Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:16 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
I have about 174,000 of them and I hope the rules still stand that they are good as long as one is an elite. Please don't change anything Delta!!!
Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I am NOT currently a Medallion member. Does this mean my old FF miles have no "added-value?" Must I be Medallion to benefit from the original levels? Or can I still redeem on the FF award scale (not SkyMiles)?
Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:31 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I have 600,000+ old miles. I'm saving them for retirement. With lifetime medalion status, I'm looking forward to many trips to Hawaii
Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Being the compulsive pack rat that I am, I just happen to still have my trusty 1994 Frequent Flyer Program when I was considered "Royal"..not Elite..or not Platinum (as a side note I also still had "Lifetime Crown Room Membership" before those words were changed or lost by the Spin Doctors screwing up Flying Colonel! )

You can use your 100,000 miles for 4 RT 1st class or 5 coach Domestic trips..ok but not great value.

Best value in my opinion is that in 1994, and hense "Old Miles", domestic included travel "between or within the Continental US/Alaska/Bermuda/Canada/the Caribbean/Mexico. You can go as far as Aruba or Fairbanks in first class. Alaska/Canada/Mexico/Bermuda is now 60,000 (40,000 Alaska).

OR between US and Hawaii.."OLD" Miles 2 First Class RT for 75,000--"SkyMiles" 1 First Class is 60,000.

I believe BE to Europe is less using Skymiles(80,000 Skymiles vs 100,000 old miles for First Class...BE is the same for "Old" or "New" 80,000 so it is wasting "Old" miles)

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:38 am

I prefer to use the old miles for upgrades, but if you're interested in free tickets, the MC Award is a good deal--25,000 miles for a RT F ticket. As to your lack of medallion status, it is my understanding that you must be a medallion member to use the old mileage awards. However, your old miles can be combined with your SkyMiles under the current award levels. You might be better off not using the old miles if there is a possibility of future medallion qualification at which time you could then use the old miles for the old award schedule.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by bdschobel:
My personal favorite (used twice) is the M2 award: two first-class seats to Hawaii for 75,000 old miles. Remember that you have to be Medallion to use old miles for old awards!

Bruce
I just happen to like Aruba and Bermuda better than Hawaii...Much closer..

Old Jan 6, 2001, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by MileageMaven:
I am NOT currently a Medallion member. Does this mean my old FF miles have no "added-value?" Must I be Medallion to benefit from the original levels? Or can I still redeem on the FF award scale (not SkyMiles)?
As I read it..You MUST be Medallion

Old Jan 6, 2001, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
An interesting side issue is whether you need to have been Medallion continuously or if you lose the ability to claim awards from the old schedule if you ever drop down to "regular" frequent flyer. I believe that current Medallion status is good enough, simply because Delta has no easy way to track past status.

Bruce
Old Jan 6, 2001, 9:41 am

The MX award is pretty good. It let's you upgrade to first class for only 2500 miles. (full fares only though)

Originally posted by MileageMaven:
Any advice for the best use of old Delta FF miles? I have 100,000 and a friend has 50,000.

Stu
Old Jan 6, 2001, 9:50 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Old miles can be used to upgrade L fares, can't they? I would imagine that if one had both old miles and at least a fair number of new miles, the thing to do would be to use the old miles to upgrade L fares and use the new miles for free tickets, even if one has to pay a few more new miles for those free tickets...

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 12:46 pm

You only need to be Medallion to redeem awards from the old Frequent Flyer elite level Chart. If you have old FF miles, you can use them against the old award chart without being Medallion.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 1:55 pm

I believe it's true that anyone with old miles can redeem them from the old standard award schedule. But I don't know why anyone would want to. The Sykmiles awards take fewer miles for free tickets. Perhaps there's an old upgrade award that's an exception.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 2:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)
I think there is an another point to look at. In my case,
I am medallion. OK
I have 11 000 of these good old miles. OK.

I was told I can get an award at 20 000 miles, with my old 11 000, and adding 9000 new (that becomes old instanteaneouly... miracle !). I was told by Delta.

Why not to begin with a 'little' upgrade at 2500 or 5000 and use the remaining 8500 or 6000 to be mixed with 14000 or 11500 new ones. Inthis case, you can get to good old rewards.

Did anybody tried that ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.