Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Newbie Asks for Some Clarity...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2001, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

A Newbie Asks for Some Clarity...

I'm new to this group, but a long-time Medallion Flyer with 1.7 milion miles?

I'm habving trouble with some of the acrnoyms that people are throwing around...SGB, SMS etc. I --and perhaps others-- are in agreement with most of what's being said here, but the heavy use of acronyms make it hard to understand what's going on here.

For starters, what is SGB and why is it such a curse?
Old Jan 16, 2001, 7:53 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Welcome!
SGB = Simply Good Business, which was a policy that Delta has had that also meant, no favors/no waivers. Treat your best customer the same as your worst. Grant no one a break etc. Delta felt that employees were giving too many things away that they should be charging for. If a favor is granted now, the employee gets in trouble for not following the letter of the law.
SMS = Special Member Services, that special # listed on your Medallion card.
You will also notice that everybody talks about destinations using the 3 letter airport code.
By the way, is there a place that lists these in an easy format?

[This message has been edited by Tomphot (edited 01-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tomphot (edited 01-16-2001).]
Old Jan 16, 2001, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
SGB - Simply Good Business, also known as no waivers no favors.

SMS - Special Member Services, the department elite members call for reservations, etc.

CRC - Crown Room Club

FC - Flying Colonel

F0 - Flying Orchid (aka SM) (Used to be given to secretaries in less politically correct days)

SM - Silver Medallion

GM - Gold Medallion

PM - Platinum Medallion

MM - Million Miler

Old Jan 16, 2001, 9:14 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Sk*am - Sky Team or SKAM, we still do not know!
Old Jan 16, 2001, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
re: Finding 3 letter airport codes. There are lots of places on the net, but an easy to find one is on the Delta Reservation page. There is a little link that will pop a box up for you.

[This message has been edited by NoStressHere (edited 01-16-2001).]
Old Jan 16, 2001, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
SWU's= FT991 systemwide upgrades, a perk being removed from SM's and GM's in the new program. PM's are limited to only 6 a year no matter how many miles they fly. This is one of the main reasons that we are upset with Delta.

DL=a once great airline, which had a superior frequent flyer program.

CDG=the worst airport for DL Medallions to fly into.

AF=Air France, our great Skyteam Alliance partner.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 10:30 pm

Location: San Antonio, Tx USA PM-DL Diamond VIP-Hilton PC Hertz
The best Airport Code site I’ve found on the Web http://www.airportcitycodes.com/aaa/CCDBFrame.html you can search by City name or Code.
Old Jul 19, 2001, 8:00 pm

Alphabet Soup?

I've been reading this group for about a week now, and enjoy it very much. However, I'm still having trouble figuring out most of the short abbreviations everyone uses. PM, GM, and SMS are easy enough, but most just baffle me.

Is there a FAQ anywhere for the Skymiles news group?

Also, I'm sure this is a beginners question, but all of my business tickets are purchased through our company travel agency. Is there an easy way to tell what the fare class (L, Y etc) is from the itineray?

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2001, 8:21 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Well, it would help if you listed the abbreviations giving you trouble. No FAQ here, I'm afraid.

CRC = Crown Room Club
CVG, ATL, SLC, DFW, etc = airport codes
SGB = Simply Good Business
BE = BizElite
OA = Other Airlines

That's a few I can think of.

Somewhere on your ticket or e-ticket confirmation is a 7 to 10 digit alphanumeric code which will always start with a letter. On the domestic e-ticket confirmation it comes right after the fare amount. The first letter of this code is your fare class.

You may be in different fare classes on different legs of your trip.

This should help: DeltaFareClasses Thanks, Dataton!

It's also discussed here:

Fare Classes

Welcome to Flyertalk! May the miles be with you!

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 12:49 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dholliday:
Also, I'm sure this is a beginners question, but all of my business tickets are purchased through our company travel agency. Is there an easy way to tell what the fare class (L, Y etc) is from the itineray?

Thanks
</font>
You can view your itinerary on delta.com if your SkyMiles number is in your reservation. Log on to delta.com with your SkyMiles number and PIN, and choose "Itineraries" in the drop-down box. It lists all upcoming flight reservations with your SkyMiles number in there and clearly shows the fare class. If you do not see the itineray, call your SkyMiles number and have them enter your FF number in the reservation.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
FO = Flying Orchid (Silver Medallion)
SM = Skymiles member (no elite status, but has a frequent flyer number)
CDG = home of our great Skyteam partner AF (Air France) avoid it and AF ground personnel at all costs!
FT991 = Systemwide upgrade (the best perk available and only given out to PM's).
NAMU = North American upgrade certificate (given out when you fly reach 40,000 base miles in 1 calendar year.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 6:36 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Rssrsvp, two weeks ago, when I declined a connection through CDG, the reservations agent here in Germany informed me that DL is very well aware of the problems with AF and that they increased their own personell in CDG to avoid those problems.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Do the Delta personnel speak French? If not, they will be helpless bystanders.

Bruce
Old Jul 20, 2001, 8:17 am
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:
Somewhere on your ticket or e-ticket confirmation is a 7 to 10 digit alphanumeric code which will always start with a letter. On the domestic e-ticket confirmation it comes right after the fare amount. The first letter of this code is your fare class.
</font>
Not always that long. On discount tickets, it will be, but on a full fare ticket (eg), it's just one letter.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 11:04 am

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
silverpie: thanks for the elaboration.... guess I haven't bought one of those full fare thingumabobbies since deregulation....

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.